Buying is rebelling? | INFJ Forum

Buying is rebelling?

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
"Got you thinking that buying is rebelling" was a lyric from a Rage Against The Machine song I remember from I think it was the ninties, I always rememebered that, buying is a lot of things to a lot of people though and I wonder if its just the nature of life that its impossible to escape the consumer fix, retail therapy and self-actualisation as just another or a series of purchases? What do you think?

I know that I myself have experienced that idea that the things in my Amazon shopping cart are more desirable than the things I already own or have in my house when each of them are books which I've not read, I cant figure out what happens that its gold when I'm buying it but lead when it arrives in the mail and its like a kind of reverse alchemy is at work.

When eating I've noted that the availability of the necessities of life has lead to them being less valued, when I was a kid and got choclate on big occasions like Easter or Christmas or a birthday party it was something else, now that I can just buy it its a different experience altogether. Although the same as books I probably over consume, food in general I mean not choclate.

My working life started at sixteen and for the vast majority of my life up to that point I didnt have any money, like I mean I didnt have a wallet or coin purse, didnt actually have change or notes or anything. I remember vividly a miserable episode in my childhood when I spent almost ten pound on penny sweets because I went to buy a newspaper and had been told every week up until that point that spending the change was fine. I was financially illiterate. On the other hand I appreciated money as precious, I've got good saving and spending habits now which I attribute to back then. It wasnt much fun not to have money, trips to the cinema or anything like that were very infrequent and we spent most of our time just walking around or walking across fields were people only went to walk their dogs. Although I'm unsure if either I or any of my adult, working peers, could put in as much time and be entertained with there being some casual cost to it, should it be buying coffee (and sometimes I think its less the beverage than the social space you're spending the money on).

Part vent and part topic, what do you think? I'm unsure that religion, philosophy or any of the modern political ideologies have really got to grips with the good and ill of consumerism and its norms really adequately or is this all a post-scarity muse by a spoiled bourgousie anyway?

RATM, ftw!

I relate a lot to the reverse alchemy concept you brought up. I go through phases where all I want to do is buy new things and then as soon as I have them I either have buyer's remorse or I forget about them at all. I went through a phase recently where I bought at least 20 novels and I haven't read a single one of them, but I DO like the way that they look on my book shelf.

I haven't really read much in the way of Religion or Philosophy that would tackle this issue but I can relate to what you're saying.

RATM, ftw!
+1 lol.

I can definitely relate to what the OP said...Candy, Soda, Clothes, Make-up, jewelry. All were such a big deal for me to get as a child because I always got them on occasion. But now that I have the money to buy them, I don't really want such things...Don't get me wrong at first, I was the typical teenage Taurus girl ([MENTION=3817]dream echo[/MENTION]), I would buy cheap clothes, accessories things/trinkets, just for the sake of having them. It really start to hit me when I realized my materialism...how I never seemed to make actual use/wear of such items.

I found myself, downsizing and not buying things if I wasn't still going to love it X amount of time down the line.
This system has greatly helped curbed my urges to buy buy buy. I also discovered Plato's Closet, Thrift stores, yard sales, and used book stores. I don't feel as guilty buying from these places because, doing so helps conserve enironmental resources. But I also came to a point in my late teens, where I decided to defy consumerism/materialism and spending so much because it felt unhealthy to my well-being.

I relate a lot to the reverse alchemy concept you brought up. I go through phases where all I want to do is buy new things and then as soon as I have them I either have buyer's remorse or I forget about them at all. I went through a phase recently where I bought at least 20 novels and I haven't read a single one of them, but I DO like the way that they look on my book shelf.

I haven't really read much in the way of Religion or Philosophy that would tackle this issue but I can relate to what you're saying.

Yeah, I only mentioned the religion and philosophy thing because they do provide ethical frameworks, sometimes an object of devotion too like God, enlightenment, mankind, serenity or quietism, but dont know of either ethical frameworks or objects of devotion fully provide the answers to anyone with those dilemmas.

I have serious problems with buying books, probably have way too many DVDs or CDs too. I totally get buyers regret when I have to deal with the logistics of space and storage. Although why the book in the shop, the book I dont possess, should be more tempting and enticing than the one I have on the shelf at home or in the car baffles me. Spending time reading at home sometimes feels like a waste of free time when visiting the shops and buying more books to add to the pile of unread ones doesnt.

Yeah, I only mentioned the religion and philosophy thing because they do provide ethical frameworks, sometimes an object of devotion too like God, enlightenment, mankind, serenity or quietism, but dont know of either ethical frameworks or objects of devotion fully provide the answers to anyone with those dilemmas.

I have serious problems with buying books, probably have way too many DVDs or CDs too. I totally get buyers regret when I have to deal with the logistics of space and storage. Although why the book in the shop, the book I dont possess, should be more tempting and enticing than the one I have on the shelf at home or in the car baffles me. Spending time reading at home sometimes feels like a waste of free time when visiting the shops and buying more books to add to the pile of unread ones doesnt.
Why not read in the shop? Or is that Cheating?

Why not read in the shop? Or is that Cheating?

I dont know, for the same reason that having a Kindle hasnt really worked, sometimes I like the book as a possession besides its content and sometimes I'll want to possess it until its read. Most of the time I'll not keep books, simply because I dont have time to re-read them.

I dont know, for the same reason that having a Kindle hasnt really worked, sometimes I like the book as a possession besides its content and sometimes I'll want to possess it until its read. Most of the time I'll not keep books, simply because I dont have time to re-read them.
What kind of books do you like reading?

and if you like Classics, have you heard of the Guttenbug Project?

Now that I'm spending my own hard earned money, I'm a lot wiser about spending. Occasionally I get a wild hair and decide I need to have whatever my heart desires and wind up regretting because I never needed it.

I don't know - it seems that I appreciate the small things now more than when I was a kid - probably because I was spoilt.

I have a good income and litterally more money than I know what to do with, but I lead a pretty austere life - with one exception. I follow the Church's seasonal calendar, and only really buy myself chocolates and extra fun stuff when its the Easter or Christmas season. Somehow, that first bar of ordinary Cadbury's chocolate - or even beter - the first Ferrero Rocher (made by one of the few family confectionary companies left) is really a BIG TREAT.

There's something about our nature that appreciates a change - so if you feast, or fast, all the time it becomes tiresome, but having something nice occasionally is really a very big treat. In this sense, buying when you decide it's time to buy is perhaps a form of rebelling against a culture of constant satisfaction generated by marketing.

I've recently switched my style of buying from buying lots of cheap things that fall apart within a year or so to buying quality goods. Thing is quality cost money so i've had to pick up new saving & thrifting habits. It's helped curb my buy now have now nature.
Posted via Mobile Device

buying is conforming. consumer capitalism must move aside if we want to see any meaningful change in the world at this point. everything you purchase has enormous human costs not reflected in the actual "price" you pay. don't like the neo-colonialism that supports our lavish society? don't support it--grow your own food and buy everything you can locally.

a fitting first post on an INFJ forum if i do say so myself.

I guess it is true because in High School when I had to create my own clothes I was rebellious but then Hot Topic moved into town and a few years later all the high school kids could buy all the clothes I was making at home.