NeverAmI

Satisclassifaction
Retired Staff
Sep 22, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I am curious to hear people's thoughts on intuition.

What would happen to a person due to short term Ni suppression, what about long term?

What about long term vs short term suppression of Ne?

What kind of side effects do you think there would be overall?

Do you think it is possible to completely suppress information gathering through Ne(i) for a period of time? If not, how far do you think one could go?

Do you believe a person can build their Ni/Ne? If so, how?

Let out all your thoughts, but be courteous of others please.

For short term I think Ne/Ni can be suppressed. In the long term, I'm talking years down the road; it might have a negative or adverse affect to the personality because you are shunning and suppressing an integral part of your functions. While suppressing these functions, other functions can grow to develop more; external circumstances can also play a part in the reasons for suppressing the Ne/Ni.

Personally I believe in balance and to completely suppress/eliminate a function might hurt the individual as you could be missing out on important information gathered through the Ne/Ni. Not to mention; you may start to feel like you are not yourself because the intuition is the door to your soul.:m082:

Last edited:
For short term I think Ne/Ni can be suppressed. In the long term, I'm talking years down the road; it might have a negative or adverse affect to the personality because you are shunning and suppressing an integral part of your functions. While suppressing these functions, other functions can grow to develop more; external circumstances can also play a part in the reasons for suppressing the Ne/Ni.

Personally I believe in balance and to completely suppress/eliminate a function might hurt the individual as you could be missing out on important information gathered through the Ne/Ni. Not to mention; you may start to feel like you are not yourself because the intuition is the door to your soul.:m082:

Yes, this makes sense, have you ever tried it?

Yes, this makes sense, have you ever tried it?

No I have not tried it. But I had periods in my life that I was not using or trusting my intuition. Those periods were unhappy times. I think it also takes time and patience yo use one's intuition and to finally trust in it. I have been more happier person using my Ni/Ne in conjunction with all my functions.

No I have not tried it. But I had periods in my life that I was not using or trusting my intuition. Those periods were unhappy times. I think it also takes time and patience yo use one's intuition and to finally trust in it. I have been more happier person using my Ni/Ne in conjunction with all my functions.

Would you be willing to discuss your interpretation of Ni vs Ne?

Would you be willing to discuss your interpretation of Ni vs Ne?

Let's take an ENFP for example (whose primary function is Ne)
An ENFP would use it to see possibilities of things, and he explores them. For instance, he would imagine what a person likes, how he (ENFP) can make x experience (currently unknown) awesome, come up with x, make it happen, and ultimately be successful with ensuring this possibility is fruitful. In opposition, people without Ne are less able to make new things happen (to be revised)

I see Ne as an ability to calculate possibilities (hard to describe).

For an INTJ (whose primary function is Ni)
he would see a problem, relate this problem to similar problems, and find the cause of the problem quickly with a guess.

I see Ni as the ability know things with indirect clues.

Last edited:
[o_q];220653 said:
To be honest, I generally don't think you can suppress who you are, but rather what you do.

I agree with this, I think the idea is that you can actively try to suppress what is natural. It never goes away, but it isn't used. Solongo touched on that.

Can you provide some further elaboration? EDIT: Nevermind I see it :D