Black Mirror *SPOILERS* | INFJ Forum

Black Mirror *SPOILERS*

Happy Phantom

Jun 20, 2016
Over the Hills and Far Away
MBTI
INFJ
I watched the first episode when BM was released and disliked it so I didn’t bother watching the rest until @infinite dreams notified me that each episode is different.

Anyone else watching? If so what episodes are your favorite and why?

I did the same after the first episode, just kind of tucked it away as a possibility when nothing else seemed appealing to watch. It took a few episodes for me to appreciate it for what it is, but I do like it... now. :)

Yes it’s one of my favorite series’ though the seasons are painfully short. I was introduced to it through the 50 million merits episode which I think made a better impression on me than the actual pilot would have. I initially wasn’t aware that each story was completely separate from the others, and as such I think of it as a techie twilight zone.

I need to revisit the previous seasons. I don’t know all of the titles so I will be rattling off some of these like episodes of friends ie “The one where...”

50 million merits of course just because of its dystopian portrayal of work and the media being so insanely out of control. Especially poignant to me were the commercials that emit painful audio frequencies if you don’t watch, the credits that count down for every ml of toothpaste you use, etc. And how sad was it that the protagonist just ended up with his own show after all that.

White Bear (not totally sure, the one where the lady is being chased relentlessly while bystanders just film her) was probably the most riveting but hard to watch episode for me, and what a mindfuck at the end.

I liked the episode where the lady had her dead spouse’s composite identity printed onto a synthetic android. How surreal to think of some lifeless humanoid thing shifting around in your bathtub as it activates and starts turning into your loved one. It also raises interesting thoughts about how healthy it is to live too much in the past. I like how they thought of little details like how she had to ask him to breathe and blink when laying in bed.

The one where the kid has to keep doing tasks for an unknown blackmailer was pretty nail biting as a thriller.

I liked the more lighthearted episode with the lady who was obsessed with star ratings and how absurd it was to see people rate every single interaction. It actually reminds me of how when I used to be on ok cupid I was shocked to get a message that was like “we think you’re attractive enough for us to show you more attractive matches”. Point being that something (algorithm) or someone was gatekeeping and discriminating based on who knows what arbitrary criteria, and that pissed me off because it was like I was being cut off from people I might like to meet and vice versa.

The robot dog one was cool in concept, though not the most entertaining episode, because you know somewhere that stuff is being developed.

Well that’s all I can remember for now. I may contribute later as I’ve forgotten a lot of the episodes.

Last edited:
White Bear (not totally sure, the one where the lady is being chased relentlessly while bystanders just film her) was probably the most riveting but hard to watch episode for me, and what a mindfuck at the end.
White Bear is great. I can’t imagine having to repeat this every day though (the people, not her).
I liked the episode where the lady had her dead spouse’s composite identity printed onto a synthetic android. How surreal to think of some lifeless humanoid thing shifting around in your bathtub as it activates and starts turning into your loved one. It also raises interesting thoughts about how healthy it is to live too much in the past. I like how they thought of little details like how she had to ask him to breathe and blink when laying in bed.
Not sure I’ve seen this episode yet.
The one where the kid has to keep doing tasks for an unknown blackmailer was pretty nail biting as a thriller.
Shut Up and Dance. We just watched that this past weekend and it’s very good. Remember when he was talking to the little girl in the beginning? That was a clue.
I liked the more lighthearted episode with the lady who was obsessed with star ratings and how absurd it was to see people rate every single interaction. It actually reminds me of how when I used to be on ok cupid I was shocked to get a message that was like “we think you’re attractive enough for us to show you more attractive matches”. Point being that something (algorithm) or someone was gatekeeping and discriminating based on who knows what arbitrary criteria, and that pissed me off because it was like I was being cut off from people I might like to meet and vice versa.
Nose Dive. A favorite of mine. Funny because some people find this episode upsetting.
The robot dog one was cool in concept, though not the most entertaining episode, because you know somewhere that stuff is being developed.
I need to finish watching this one.

My favorite is season 4, Black Museum. A nice collection in a single episode.

Last edited:
Nose Dive. A favorite of mine. Funny because some people find this episode upsetting.

Really!? I'm rating them 0 stars. I love how everything about the show is way over the top, but based in something that is entirely common. For example, I'm a fairly avid yelper.

My favorite is season 4, Black Museum. A nice collection in a single episode.

Forgot about that one, yes it was really good and I like when it seems that some justice is done in the end.

One concept of theirs that has been used in multiple episodes is that of digital representations of people. That really freaks me out because even if I'd never have to experience it as a living creature, the very idea that a copy of me could be subjected to an eternity of monotony or torture in a digital format is really disturbing. That reminds me of the first episode on the new season, the Star Trek episode, which I also really liked. Interesting to think about alter-egos and how a mouse of a person can be a real sadist when they have the upper hand.

I've been watching. I don't know how I made it into watching this series after e1 (which left me like what the fuck) and e2 was so boring I never finished it. I like how I can jump around and watch the episodes in any order. My favorite episode so far is The Entire History of You. I absolutely hated Nose Dive and my least favorite is San whatever city where dead people go. I don't see a mother doing that. Wasn't believable.

Reactions: Happy Phantom
So... I've watched the first episode. And despite episodes being stand-alones, I don't want any spoilers. But I'm also hoping for something that can redeem this series after watching the first episode. Y'know, something after that...

pig sex

Yeah, after that. Because that was awful.

Yeah, I also stopped watching the series after the first episode. I'm extremely picky as it is when picking a show to watch, and this one did not really make want to go any further.

I'll just stick to Westword, can't wait for the second season. Hype!

Reactions: Happy Phantom
The first episode was indeed an awful one to start with. It's too bad so many people judge the entire rest of the series on that one misstep, because for the most part the stories are incredibly well-told and innovative.

So... I've watched the first episode. And despite episodes being stand-alones, I don't want any spoilers. But I'm also hoping for something that can redeem this series after watching the first episode. Y'know, something after that...

pig sex

Yeah, after that. Because that was awful.

LOL! That's sort of how I felt after watching the first one.. what the hell kinda filth am I watching? lolol Keep watching though! I even gave 15 million merits another shot and it ended up being up in the top of my favorite episode of the series. Another good one is The Entire History of You. Worth watching. Shut Up and Dance is awesome. The music, everything. Play Test is one of my favorites too. Those are good entertaining episodes.

I haven't watched White Christmas yet. I kinda bounce around, but I heard that one is really good.

The first episode was indeed an awful one to start with. It's too bad so many people judge the entire rest of the series on that one misstep, because for the most part the stories are incredibly well-told and innovative.

Mostly written by Charlie Brooker. I think they take an interesting, often disturbing look at how modern technology is affecting our lives, and where it might go next.

Some of the episodes are "wrong notes" but some are quite brilliant. Just finished watching Season 4. I thought "metalhead" was excellent.