Big Five Aspects | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Big Five Aspects

That's probably because the extroversion that this test is measuring is different than what MBTI is measuring. If I remember correctly, MBTI extroversion is most closely related to gregariousness, though I can't remember where I read this at. If you are extroverted in other ways, like in cheerfulness and friendliness (notice that this facet does not fall in agreeableness), then you'll have an overall extroverted level.

I know, that's why it's funny instead of confusing. I did look at the composing attributes.

That's probably because the extroversion that this test is measuring is different than what MBTI is measuring. If I remember correctly, MBTI extroversion is most closely related to gregariousness, though I can't remember where I read this at. If you are extroverted in other ways, like in cheerfulness and friendliness (notice that this facet does not fall in agreeableness), then you'll have an overall extroverted level.

That's interesting. I usually score 45% on extroversion in MBTI tests, yet I scored 33% on that one.

I won't share all my results but just the best one for laughs: I scored 2% on excitement seeking. :tearsofjoy:

That's interesting. I usually score 45% on extroversion in MBTI tests, yet I scored 33% on that one.
You mean as compared to the gregariousness sub-facet? It's correlated at like ~.5. They don't measure the same thing, just similar things.

I won't share all my results but just the best one for laughs: I scored 2% on excitement seeking. :tearsofjoy:
Heh, nice :m155:

Reactions: Wyote and Ren
I think the basic idea is something to be internalized: often, there are a few themes that a scale is basically the "region of intercorrelation" of. So, for example, you could say Agreeableness corresponds to a region of intercorrelation of Compassion+Politeness, which are somewhat different aspects. Openness/Intellect are similar.

I'd say this helps to understand the MBTI dichotomies and what they are and aren't saying. So for example, I think T has a blend of toughmindedness and logic-orientation, and F has a blend of tendermindedness and feelings-orientation.

Some may then conclude that logic-orientation implies being less Agreeable as in the Big 5. Not so, at all. Independent measures of that actually show that there's really no correlation, positive or negative, with Agreeableness.

(By the way, I'd classify Jung's feeling function as closer to about the interface between feelings and value-judgment, vs feelings and tenderness....which is why Jungian F-types aren't quite as cuddly as dichotomies F-types. Of course, this distinction requires that you're aware of the fact that the MBTI dichotomies are quite different from Jung's original presentation, and as a result, discussions of functions theory need to a priori be separated from those of the MBTI instrument's predictions.)

Those are very important distinctions @charlatan :)

Reactions: Ren and charlatan
Yeah, I guess I mention it because I myself faced some confusion on this front -- another important one is the dichotomies-N really doesn't have that much to do with favoring intuition as a mental process. Indeed, many strong Ns mistrust intuition, and further, if anything, its corresponding Openness to Experience in the Big 5 is positively correlated with orientation to richness of sensation (because it's positively correlated to a thirst for all sorts of mental processes -- sensations, intellect, feelings, etc).

Part of the reason this gets confusing is it's not true that N as the dichotomies present it actually is totally different from Jungian-N --- it shares the overall de-emphasizing practicality+being more of a dreamer, and so on. But this whole region of intercorrelation thing helps clarify the difference: while it shares those specific aspects, it doesn't share all aspects, and hence it's a region of intercorrelation of a somewhat different cluster of things from Jungian-N.

Reactions: Ren and Wyote
Probably it's worth noting that the Openness/Intellect distinction is kind of reminiscent of a perceiving/judging one, albeit one does have to quit the analogy when placing the feeling function, as I don't think it fits squarely in either (and I think this really is something Jung struggled with too; I think what's going on is that Jung understood---contrary to naive suppositions I see on forums--- that value judgments can involve emotional factors strongly, even if they're not themselves identical to emotion; I think this is because emotions convey the feeling-tone (+ or -) of a situation, which seems to already carry some a priori judgment with it, but the reflective faculties have to kick in to figure out if the immediate reactions actually represent the person's values, and usually more feeling tones are discovered -- a really silly example is being annoyed by a kid but reflecting to see if one's response is appropriate/fair, and possibly changing how one feels reflectively). But basically, I'd expect an orientation to intuition and an orientation to sensation both fit more with the Openness than the Intellect.

Between the Compassion/Politeness, the first is more related to MBTI-dichotomies-F. Also, the Enthusiasm part of Extraversion is sorta dichotomies EF-y.

Reactions: Wyote and Ren
Thanks for all the links and clear explanations @dogman6126.

I took the more extensive version and like that there are more sub-factors - it is more explanatory, though not as you said, a full personality assessment. It’s interesting to think along these different aspects. For instance, I’m about average in terms of cooperation, but high in sympathy, which is consistent with how I understand myself.

I’m going to read through the academic paper you linked next. Would you have something that links these results to career choices?

Thanks for all the links and clear explanations @dogman6126.

I took the more extensive version and like that there are more sub-factors - it is more explanatory, though not as you said, a full personality assessment. It’s interesting to think along these different aspects. For instance, I’m about average in terms of cooperation, but high in sympathy, which is consistent with how I understand myself.

I’m going to read through the academic paper you linked next. Would you have something that links these results to career choices?

Sorry, but I've never looked into career correlations with the big five past what is mentioned in undergraduate psych courses. I know that some exist, such as conscientiousness correlates with job success and extroversion correlates with job satisfaction. I just did a quick search and found several articles talking about other, more detailed correlations, some generalized and others not. However, I don't know how replicable those results are :/

Took this assessment this morning. I'm biased.

WTH is this ? :hmmm:....

Liberalism - 35th percentile - low
Your political liberalism is low (conversely, your political conservatism is high). This is a facet of openness to experience because liberals tend to desire progressive change, whereas conservatives tend to prefer less political change.

Why are my political views included in evaluating my openess to experiences? Not to mention my political view is Independent and all about change. I think many of these test questions are biased to leading. :blowraspberries:harumph.

On a cheeri-note....my score of 14% in Neuroticism is good :rainbowlove:. Altruisim at a whopping 89% and Cheerfulness at 95%, with Agreeableness very high at 80%. I believe I'm good with the overall results...politics is just smog that permeates everywhere. :coolerthanyoudancing:

Openness above all else.

And then I'm also high in Orderliness, Conscientiousness and Compassion.

Took this assessment this morning. I'm biased.

WTH is this ? :hmmm:....

Liberalism - 35th percentile - low
Your political liberalism is low (conversely, your political conservatism is high). This is a facet of openness to experience because liberals tend to desire progressive change, whereas conservatives tend to prefer less political change.

Why are my political views included in evaluating my openess to experiences? Not to mention my political view is Independent and all about change. I think many of these test questions are biased to leading. :blowraspberries:harumph.

On a cheeri-note....my score of 14% in Neuroticism is good :rainbowlove:. Altruisim at a whopping 89% and Cheerfulness at 95%, with Agreeableness very high at 80%. I believe I'm good with the overall results...politics is just smog that permeates everywhere. :coolerthanyoudancing:

Researchers disagree whether political orientation should be used as an indicator of personality. While political orientation itself isn't personality, it does correlate very highly with the openness trait. So we can use it to predict your actual openness value.

Also, this survey isn't usually accused of a leading bias...how do you mean that?

Reactions: Wyote
Hi @dogman6126
Thank you for responding. I don't think we've interacted in the forum until now (?)

The political aspect of my result disturbed me. Appologies if I presented other than humorously. I'm a registered Democrat, yet I vote Independent. In other words, I tend to cast my vote on who I feel is the best candidate rather than strictly by party. When the results cast me as a conservative it puzzled me because I don't see myself as a conservative.
So we can use it to predict your actual openness value.
What other indicators, if any, are there for each of the 5, if you know? (That is a bit forward for me to ask, yet, I've followed along that you are indeed quite knowledgeable of the topic) or, are the highlights in my results the only factors considered for this particular test?
Also, this survey isn't usually accused of a leading bias...how do you mean that?
I lead in with I was the one biased. Only because, I want to give credibility to my answers, yet, I found them puzzling, especially the ditty about politics. And, perhaps in regards to all tests, not this one alone. :)

Hi @dogman6126
Thank you for responding. I don't think we've interacted in the forum until now (?)
Haha, I know I've seen you around. I was more active a couple years ago, but I have pretty limited time now.

The political aspect of my result disturbed me. Appologies if I presented other than humorously. I'm a registered Democrat, yet I vote Independent. In other words, I tend to cast my vote on who I feel is the best candidate rather than strictly by party. When the results cast me as a conservative it puzzled me because I don't see myself as a conservative.
My guess is your experience is an example of how this is only a correlative relation. The reason is that a liberal political position tends to stem from a change oriented attitude, while a conservative position relates to a status quo sort of attitude. You might notice that the change oriented attitude is very similar to what openness is supposed to capture. However, one can be a democrat while thinking that things are going pretty well as is/being less open to change. The reverse is also true about conservatives. I'm guessing that's what happened in your case.

What other indicators, if any, are there for each of the 5, if you know? (That is a bit forward for me to ask, yet, I've followed along that you are indeed quite knowledgeable of the topic) or, are the highlights in my results the only factors considered for this particular test?
I still have a lot to learn on this topic....there's a ton of research, and I'm only in my first year of grad school :/
The idea of this test is that each question is itself an independent indicator of each of the traits. It's just that certain indicators aren't as directly related to personality. For example, are you always on time is a more direct indicator of conscientiousness than art appreciation is of openness. If you want to know more of the indirect indicators, I'm afraid i can only think of art appreciation and political orientation right now. If I think of more later I'll edit my post, but most of the weird indicators fall into the openness category because it is the fifth trait that a lot of relatively unrelated things got pushed together into. So like extroversion is a highly internally consistent trait. It's very well defined. Openness is less clear what pieces fit into it, and they tend to drift farther away from what we think personality is (intelligence, cultural participation, political orientation)

I lead in with I was the one biased. Only because, I want to give credibility to my answers, yet, I found them puzzling, especially the ditty about politics. And, perhaps in regards to all tests, not this one alone. :)
Oh, i see what you mean now. I suppose we are all vulnerable to stuff like that, but I can tell you that wording questions a certain way reduces the risk of a subject making such an error. These questions were designed with this in mind.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Sandie33 and Wyote
@Sandie33 It’s interesting. While I only know you through this forum, so am limited in my perception of you, but you do strike me as conservative. It’s more of a social thing than political though. I find you a very civil person.

Reactions: James
@Sandie33 It’s interesting. While I only know you through this forum, so am limited in my perception of you, but you do strike me as conservative. It’s more of a social thing than political though. I find you a very civil person.
Thank you for the feedback @Chickensoup :) All about practicality and fairness is how I see me---grounded. Is this what you mean by civil?
I've caught myself thinking about the conservatism all day today. I've a tenative conclusion that because I'm gregarious yet cautious in most things...taking a quick risk-assessment before tossing my hat in, might be why my results were leaning toward conservative ;)

@Sandie33 How did you answer on questions related to following rules? Maybe the dichotomy is between wanting change, yet still following existing rules?

@Sandie33 How did you answer on questions related to following rules? Maybe the dichotomy is between wanting change, yet still following existing rules?
Since I don't keep any of the questions in working memory, it is difficult for me to revisit my answers. This is one attribute that has caused difficulties for me when trying to find words to discuss topics in-depth. Many conversations die because of this.

I have a list of things I'd like to see changed, but have given up on the notion that they would ever be. It's giving in, not up.

I don't follow societal rules, rather use them as a guideline. I tell others 'I dry out on the surface'. I can discuss feelings all day, yet facts, because they bore me, are filed away until they may be needed. I do obey laws to maintain my own freedoms and uphold that sense of justice...I would indeed parish in the restrictiveness of a cell...so I'm sure I answered in a way to protect those leanings.
;)

Reactions: Wyote
I took this a few years ago and I remember my "agreeable" levels being ridiculously high.. like 94% or something. I don't know why that makes me chortle.

Reactions: Sandie33 and Wyote