Better bosses: Introverts or Extroverts? | INFJ Forum

Better bosses: Introverts or Extroverts?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Who makes better bosses: introverts or extroverts? Why? Please give an example from a work experience.

Reactions: Siimplicity
ESFJ's or ENFJ's

I've had probably an even amount of experiences with both. One, an ISTJ (happened to be familiar with MBTI), was a great boss, but was introverted almost to the point of it being detrimental to communication, which was a common complaint around the workplace. He taught me a lot though, and I still regard him highly. I've also had an ESFP boss, with a big, booming voice and fantastic people skills. People would sometimes joke that he should've been a TV announcer, lol, with that voice of his. Occasionally it would be too much however, and he had slight trouble getting down to the nitty gritty of things. I would say they're the two bosses I've hard furthest from each other on the spectrum of I/E.

Both were excellent bosses, but I honestly can't say one was necessarily better than the other, just different. Another boss of mine, for example, was an ESTP, and had an entirely different style from the other two. She had immaculate, high standards, and was a master of balancing little details with the big picture and prioritizing accordingly. She was also a marvelous boss, and I'd gladly work with her again - although I now hold the same manager position she did. :p

Long story short, I think anyone can be a great boss, regardless of type or I vs. E.

I have found that it highly depends on your field of work and your scope of practice therein. Sometimes extroverted thinkers are better bosses, sometimes introverted feelers are. As a nurse I find that the the administration part of the job is better run by extroverted feelers who have to crunch numbers and budget, but also have to take care of their staff and meet their needs. The medical side is more than often better run by introverted thinkers who are all about the data. Having a balance between the two is more successful than one presiding over the other, which is why I'm thankful that many businesses are split in such ways. Prior to working in healthcare, the best boss I ever had was the salon owner when I was a hairstylist. He was an ISFJ and took care of everyone. Go figure. :p

Reactions: Tin Man
Things should really be run by both an E and an I working in tandem. They should also be opposite N/S so an ES and IN or an EN and IS. The other elements are less important as far as leading but need to be kept in check.

No single type is best, it is the pull between all types that nets the best result.

Reactions: Free
Things should really be run by both an E and an I working in tandem. They should also be opposite N/S so an ES and IN or an EN and IS. The other elements are less important as far as leading but need to be kept in check.

No single type is best, it is the pull between all types that nets the best result.

I've found great partnerships and balance working with ES types. It's almost a yin and yang thing, together both complete the picture. All types have strengths and weaknesses, so I think it makes sense to employ a variety of people in order to take advantage of those strengths - whether or not you're talking about a leadership team.

[MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] made a great point too, certain types might be more natural fits depending on the nature of the role.

I've had probably an even amount of experiences with both. One, an ISTJ (happened to be familiar with MBTI), was a great boss, but was introverted almost to the point of it being detrimental to communication, which was a common complaint around the workplace. He taught me a lot though, and I still regard him highly.

I had a very similar boss. Fantastic guy, but really introverted and awkward. Then again it was in tech support, so everyone there was introverted and awkward.

Except for me, of course. I was the cool guy, hanging out with the nerds out of pity.

Reactions: hush
ESFJ's or ENFJ's

I've enjoyed working for an ENFJ manager, and at a peer level, with an ESFJ manager. Both are incredibly understanding, hard working, well rounded and competent managers.

There are things about both of them that drive me crazy though. Mostly in the realm of over communicating and being too detail oriented instead of solution focused when under pressure or overwhelm.

My favorite boss was an ESTP. I pretty much did his job and work for him, but he always gave me credit where credit was due. He knew where his loyalties were, and it was to his team, not upper management. He always had our best interest in mind and would go to bat for anyone that worked under him. He had the best sense of humor and clear guidelines on what needed to be done. And he held you accountable. You always knew where you stood with him, and because of that you never wanted to disappoint. He was always motivating and if you were struggling with something you knew you could go to him. All around super interesting guy and total family man. Basically, the head coach every college football team wants.

I can't identify my bosses by their exact personality type. However, I've had different types, and the worst weren't bad of course because they are extrovert or introvert. But I could see where more introverted intuitive bosses were not as effective in their communication. I've worked in one too many places where too much is said behind the scenes, and not enough is expressly stated in terms of what is wanted or expected. A lot of secrets. In this regard, more extroverted bosses had the advantage. TJs are often more clear about their expectations but can be a bit rigid and less open because they feel they know without input what is or isn't going to work. Tough to collaborate if everyone also assumes they know what's already wrong or right and won't consider other alternatives.

The bosses I had the best rapport with weren't too structured or domineering, but open and responsive. The easiest bosses to get along with would be ENFPs. Probably because they're the extroverted version of the INFP. :) With these bosses, there was freedom to suggest and explore ideas. It wasn't about assigning you a task. The boss I have the best working relationship with said she was an INFX. She is easy going, supportive, treats you like an equal, responsive, and encouraging. No ego. I appreciate more extroverted bosses for their outgoing nature especially if they are inclusive. The ones that are not so great, are those who use the energy to encourage cliques or dominate, or dismiss the contributions of those who didn't fit in. Essentially, the bullies. More introverted bosses sometimes wait too long to mention if something is wrong, and then only bring it up when it's an serious. Maybe in their minds, they're thinking "Let me give them one more change to improve before I say anything. They should figure it out."

One of the worst bosses was, I believe an ESFJ (or ENFJ?) boss. She would be so expressive and warm and welcoming, but was good at the backdoor politics. The mirror had a million faces with her. You couldn't trust a thing about what she portrayed. I was a little too clueless to realize it at the time, but it was obviously all pretend. Extremely friendly, exploitative, and manipulative. But when you met her, she seemed like the sweetest person you've ever met. Come to think of it, she may just have been an ESTJ. She definitely enjoyed playing games.

Last edited:
I have found that it highly depends on your field of work and your scope of practice therein. Sometimes extroverted thinkers are better bosses, sometimes introverted feelers are.:p

This and I would also add that the political environment and culture of the work place is also a contributing factor in the way everyone interacts with each other.

My last two bosses were both ENTJ and I thoroughly enjoyed working with them. They have an immense sense of drive/energy that is inspiring/motivating and that "can do" attitude is infectious. Regardless of type, I cannot work with people who are simply lazy - now what type is that? :wink:

I have had an introverted thinking boss for over five years.
In a couple of weeks, I will be reporting to an extroverted feeler with whom I have worked for an equal amount of time.

I will let you know how this pans out in the coming weeks and months. first thoughts: my introverted thinker gives direction in no uncertain terms. he is efficient, to the point and logical. most of our group are intimidated by him, but for the reasons I mention, I have found him to be the best boss I have ever had. those who work for him often criticize him for not being overly communicative, but I feel that my intuitive abilities help me to understand him in ways others cannot. I understand what he wants to achieve with minimal direction. he leaves me to prioritize and complete my tasks at my own discretion and does not advise me in any way unless I ask him for his preference. we have achieved a great harmony in the years we have had and I will miss that.

as to the extroverted feeler, he is more of a "helicopter" boss. he is deeply passionate about all things and is wildly emotive in all circumstances. he has an urgency to execute and must get involved and dig deeply into all details concerning every issue. this has annoyed his subordinates and I have heard and seen firsthand how his hovering has damaged morale and led to subs feeling that he distrusts them. and sadly, they resent him for that. I believe he has a strong drive to participate and get involved because he cares. he has a hard time letting go and delegating fully. my intuition allows me to resist such feelings personally because I can feel where he is pure of motive and extremely concerned and caring. he is a strong proponent to team effort. he wants to be a part of everything. and he wants everyone to be part of everything with him.

I am a bit nervous about entering into my new position with him -- it is such a night and day flux between personalities. but I am optimistic and on the lighter side, I will look for humor in the contrasts -- it will be amusing :)

more to follow as I gain input....

As an introvert, I preferred to work for introverts. Pretty much b/c they wouldn't be breathing down my neck and trust me to do my job.

I suspect two of my best bosses were xsfj. One introvert one extrovert. Both women. They were very professional and fair yet were also very friendly. They weren't office politicians. Basically just be professional, fair and consistent and friendly and do not micromanage me and you are a good boss in my eyes. The introvert/extrovert thing isn't a factor for me.