best of / worst of [pt 2]: jobs you've worked

Korg

-
Jul 8, 2009
MBTI
-
Enneagram
-
What the best one the best and the worst one the worst?

Best: My current job at a chocolate shop. The days are really easy going and the customers are nice. My coworkers aren't assholes, either.

Worst: YMCA Lifeguard. The job was much more stressful than it needed to be because of my coworkers and the people that came to the pool. Also, the pay sucked.

What was the problem with them?

As far as my coworkers were concerned, they were all very rude to each other and myself. No one really seemed enthusiastic about working there, which may have been influenced by our minimum wage pay when other pools in the area payed at least $10 an hour. However, even my higher ups were like this. No one really acted as a good role model for the visitors to look to for proper pool behavior. Most of them, my higher ups and equals, all acted passive aggressively towards the visitors on a day-to-day basis.

Which brings me to the actual visitors. While I once was a kid and can empathize with not wanting to follow rules, these people did not want to listen to the guards. One kid, after being told numerous times to stop running, finally slipped and fell and split his heel open. That kind of thing happened a lot; I recall one girl split her head open because she was goofing around on the slide. As aforementioned, this kind of behavior was somewhat instigated by my coworkers because, while off duty, they themselves neglected to follow the rules they tried to enforce in the area.

Best job: Clinique. I wish it paid more because I had so much fun playing with makeup.

Worst job: The one I have now because its political and I have crazy coworkers.

Best: Probably when I was a tutor at my University's writing center. It felt great to be helping people, and it was an overall excellent and relaxing work environment.

Worst: My current job. I work at a group home for kids with MR/DD. I've been kicked, scratched, pinched, smacked in the face, etc. None of the kids can talk, and none are toilet trained. I know someone's gotta do it, and I feel guilty for not being able to enjoy my job more. But I realize my limits and what I can handle. It seems that all of my coworkers hate their jobs, too. Thank goodness I got a new job, and this week is my last week there. :)

Where is your new job?

Best: What I am doing now - pizza delivery. Perfect job for a college student because I can make good money working 20 hours week part time while doing school and hobbyist things for the rest of my time. The people I work with are crude but enjoyable to be around and respectable, the job isn't difficult and I enjoy the variety I get from working in-store helping make pizza's and getting to get out at regular intervals to deliver while listening to music. Pretty laid back when we are not busy, and when we are busy I make a lot more so that's just as good. Plus the sceduleing is flexible enough that if it's dead I can simply go home early. Or if I need someone to cover my shift I usually can get it.

Worst: Skyline Chili. The job itself wasn't bad per say, I just hated my shift managers. I always worked evenings due to me being in high school for 40 hours a week, the closing shift had a shit ton more work to do than the day shift people, and I was sick of always going straight to work after school to work till 11:30pm, then waking up at 6:30 to go to school. I had little free time, time to do homework, and the best shift (day shift), due to the people that worked during it and the workload being much less I could never do because of school.

Worst-Telemarketing

I don't know if it needs any explanation but bothering people who just came home from a long day at work wasn't fun. The interesting thing about it though was that the selling techniques they teach you REALLY work. It's a shit job but I would actually recommend it for the experience it gives. And as INFJs are master manipulators you guys would probably be good at it too.