Becoming healthy | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Becoming healthy

This thread is a good idea. :) I would like to try this too, and eat less junk food. Whenever I eat veggies and fruits I feel much more energized. :3

Lately I've been drinking fruit drinks to replace soft drinks. I get mine from "Bolthouse Farms." They are pretty good, and they are supposed to contain a serving of fruit. Kind of pricy, but worth it for a healthy snack. =]

And avocados are delicious. :p

:)

I used to drink vegetable/fruit drinks as well. Now all I drink is carbonated, flavored water which contains no sugar, no sodium, no calories, and still delicious. Probably a decent substite for pop (= "soda") addicts.

today was day 2 of my healthy new life.

I made my own shrimp cocktail. It was really easy and delicious.

recipe:
shrimp, cooked for like 7 mins (12 bucks for 2 pounds)
the sauce was made with a lot of ketchup, a little horse radish (get it at dollar tree), lemon juice, and lime juice. and like, chopping tomatoes into it and adding water is kind of essential.

then avokado and crackers and ta da. :D
it was all i ate today (spread it out over the course of the day) because it kept me so full.

i ended up spending like 20 bucks, but it makes probs 5 big servings or so.

Attachments

• avocado-shrimp-cocktail3.jpg
    avocado-shrimp-cocktail3.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 0
Today I ate at an all you can eat buffet with my family..

5 plates later I'm sorry to say that I have stepped outside of my intended meal size.

awww you see, who cares about you more than aerosol? :m032: She's really pretty too

Reactions: aerosol
I'm a juicer I love to make juice up in the blender.

Usually I'll add a lemon, a lime, a grapefruit (leave this out if your on any kind of anti-biotic), a can of pineapple, a can of mandarin oranges, a 1/4 cup of freshly cut wheat grass sprouts, a stalk of celery, a stalk of rhubarb, and acai berry or blueberry juice. I'll sometimes switch some of the ingredients around and substitute them with other things I have on hand, like if I have any pears. making juice this way has quite a lot of pulp and the wheatgrass doesn't exactly become juice but it's not too bad It's quite good actually and usually lasts me around a week or so.

I also drink a lot of loose leaf green tea and have a few vitamins I take, (Flax seed oil, Fish oil, Vitamin C, Calcium (I don't drink milk), Zinc, Multi, Dietary fiber.) As far as protein I drink a bottle of whey protein after a work out I'd like to have casein protein before bed but I haven't found a good one.

I also like oatmeal with water and cinnamon, I love hummus, and I add unpasteurized honey to a lot of things like my oatmeal and the various different teas that I drink. I also don't really eat bread or pasta. Most my carbs come from things like vegetables and oats.

*********INSPIRATIONAL THREAD***************

If you eat fast food all the time - cut it out. I will try to, as well. Sometimes it helps to just look up the ingredients online to see what actually is inside that amazingly delicious fast food.

After reading your first post I decided to actually look up some ingredients. Here is what I found:

Many so-called healthy fast food menu items, upon closer inspection, do not live up to the health hype. Most of the meat from any of the major chains has anything but a simple ingredients list. They add emulsifiers, preservatives, MSG, artificial colors, trans fats, and hidden ingredients under generic labels such as spices, or natural and artificial flavors.

Some of these food additives are not foods at all, but are chemicals that are generally recognized as safe. Most of these additives cannot be found at your local grocery store, probably because they aren't food. But some can be found at your local hardware store, though in inedible products like low tox antifreeze, silicone caulk, soap, sunscreen, and play sand.

The ingredient information in this article came straight from the various fast food restaurants' web sites.

McDonald's

The egg's reputation is recovering, but scrambled eggs as a part of McDonald's breakfast include much more than egg. Their pasteurized whole eggs have sodium acid pyrophosphate, citric acid, and monosodium phosphate (all added to preserve color), and nisin, a preservative. To top it off, the eggs are prepared with liquid margarine: liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils (trans fats), salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil (trans fat), soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, and beta carotene (color). Though not all bad, these added chemicals may be the reason why homemade scrambled eggs taste so much better than McDonald's.

For coffee drinkers, it would seem fairly safe to just grab a quick cup of coffee at McDonald's on the way to work. But many health conscious people would object to it also including this list of ingredients: sodium phosphate, sodium polyphosphate, Di-Acetyl Tartrate Ester of Monoglyceride, sodium stearoyl lactylate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, sodium hexametaphosphate, sodium citrate, and carrageenan. Do health nuts still drink coffee?

The chicken has sodium phosphates (of an unspecified variety). It could be trisodium phosphate (a cleanser), monosodium phosphate (a laxative), or disodium hydrogen phosphate [11]. Why would McDonald's add sodium phosphates (a foaming agent), and dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent in their crispy chicken breast fillets? It isn't dishwasher detergent.

all information taken directly from: http://www.naturalnews.com/022194.html

What do you guys think about this?
Is any of this information enough to make you stop or slow your consumption of fast food?
Do you think fast food restaraunts should be able to use ingredients like this?

Personally coming across information like this just makes me think about how much of that "stuff" I've eaten and makes me not want to eat anymore.

today was day 2 of my healthy new life.

I made my own shrimp cocktail. It was really easy and delicious.

recipe:
shrimp, cooked for like 7 mins (12 bucks for 2 pounds)
the sauce was made with a lot of ketchup, a little horse radish (get it at dollar tree), lemon juice, and lime juice. and like, chopping tomatoes into it and adding water is kind of essential.

then avokado and crackers and ta da. :D
it was all i ate today (spread it out over the course of the day) because it kept me so full.

i ended up spending like 20 bucks, but it makes probs 5 big servings or so.

That looks so yummy :) I'm very tempted.:m200:

What do you guys think about this?
Is any of this information enough to make you stop or slow your consumption of fast food?
Do you think fast food restaraunts should be able to use ingredients like this?

Personally coming across information like this just makes me think about how much of that "stuff" I've eaten and makes me not want to eat anymore.

Yikes! No wonder I always get sick after eating McDonald's.

[MENTION=4274]jmk127[/MENTION],

you know, it's a very interesting point. it's crazy that something like coffee has nasty additives when purchased from a fast food place like McDonalds. I used to tell myself that sticking to items that are seemingly the same no matter where you go (coffee, or eggs, for example) should keep you in the clear... like, oh, they serve eggs at Mcdonalds, so ima just assume that eggs is all it is. who could corrupt the healthiness of eggs? well, based on your quotes, apparently Mcdonalds can.

I'm always sick after fast food. I stay awayyyyy. My body knows better than my stupid brain sometimes.

I'm always sick after fast food. I stay awayyyyy. My body knows better than my stupid brain sometimes.

Yea I completely agree, sometimes I will eat fast food even when I know that I won't feel great later on. Its a weird thing but it has happened many times and I'm sure it will happen to me again.

beef jerky is an awesome snack/meal.

if you eat the whole bag you've only consumed like 210 calories. and like 80% of your daily sodium value, but oh well.

Potato chips is what makes me stay healthy. Sometimes eating bad food is better than eating no food at all.

Walking is good. Running is better.

I try to do two 4 mile runs a week right now. I'm in bad shape, so I have to go easy now. Eventually I'll run more often, and longer.

C'mon now, I can't be the only vegan on this board?!

It's amazing how easy it is to stay away from fast-junk food when you simply can't eat it! Twinkies - nope. Burgers - nope. Cakes - nope. Pies - nope. The only way I can get these things is the once in rare occasion they "forget" to use dairy or if I make them myself.

Whole grains, legumes, nuts, vegetables and fruits are about 90% of my diet. And you know what? If I want soda, I can actually have a soda and not think twice about the health aspect of it. I don't have to count calories, worry about blood pressure or cholesterol... in fact my doctor laughs at me when he "needs" to do blood work for a physical.

No, I'm not underweight. Yes, I get plenty of vitamin B12 (found in sea weed, especially good in veggie-sushi/spring rolls in case you ask). Protein and iron is also a breeze when you eat beans, greens and nuts - actually have a killer cashew-almond "cheese" that whips up into a paste and passes for the real thing, so we aren't just talking about eating a handful of nuts either.

Anyway, lots of options open to anyone willing to learn some basic cooking. You don't just have to settle for fast food. I used "Good Eats" as my bible when learning how to cook :)

I used to be 110 pounds 2 months ago and my goal is around 85-90 pounds. At first I really HAD to do it because of ballet. Then I started feeling so much better when I changed the foods I eat. I DO NOT STARVE myself :)) :)) I can't do that. I eat a LOT of fruits and vegetables and I snack on nuts (almonds, cashews, etc..) I drink a lot of water too.

I exercise 5-6 times a week. :) and I lost 9 pounds :) I find that it's harder to lose weight if I don't really have to lose weight. It's harder to lose weight after I lost 9 pounds and sometimes I regain 2-3 pounds when I have my monthly period, but as long as I exercise and eat healthy, I'm still hoping to lose 11 more pounds :) :)

It's 12 midnight here..and I still haven't done my scheduled exercise today.. :( :( but I'm about to do it right now :))

Shrimps

vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-large.gif

One tip for anyone reading this thread - get a Vitamix! Those things can pulverize anything into a fine paste. Instead of juicing a fruit, toss the whole thing in and blend it on high; it even shreds apart berry seeds. My wife and I use it non-stop, making a lot of green smoothies.

Shrimp might be healthy for me. I mean, heck, if I eat it before bed, I pretty much end up losing more calories than I consumed for the day after the vomiting... and the spiders... (I actually have intolerances to shellfish and normal fish, so that would actually happen to me...)

I tend to snack on celery when I get the munchies. It's tasty, filling, and pretty much has little impact on my daily calorie count. I also try to avoid soda (although I'm guilty of having some once a week or so) and fast food (except for the food served at my job, which doesn't serve your stereotypical fastfood items). I've yet to fault on my efforts to avoid fast food entirely. I would try to eat organic food, but my income and obligatory expenditures don't allow me to eat organic food of any kind.

Also, when running errands, I tend to park my car and walk from place to place, which usually adds up to about a mile of walking on an average errand day.

when i get the munchies, i exercise and it usually goes away. course, thats my solution to just about everything.