Back Pain & You | INFJ Forum

Back Pain & You

barbad0s

Banned
Apr 18, 2011
MBTI
POOP
Anyone here experience back pain to any degree? And if so is there anything you do about it?

I've been having to sleep on the floor a lot for my back these days. I suspect I may have a tilted hip.

Yes, I injured my lower back a couple of years ago. It was not found to be a herniated disc. I tried everything to get it to heal and these are the things that have helped:
1. support for feet. I have high arches and wasn't supporting them
2. Correcting my posture. I was over arching my lower back when I walked or stood.
3 Stopped sleeping on my stomach.
3. My overall walking gait was incorrect. I spent months retraining myself to walk.

what I have found is to try and let your spine remain at a neutral position as much a possible. Line up your spine with your sits bone as much as possible while sitting.

I found PT and the doctor's office completely useless. They either wanted to give me a pill to relax the muscles or give me exercise that exasperated the pain. I would research as much as you can to figure out what the root cause of your pain is so you can make corrections so that it can heal firstl. It takes a long while for muscles, ligaments to heal.

I have two steel plates and six titanium screws, on meds, still hurt.

Reactions: invisible and Gaze
I've had a slipped disc and pinched nerve before...they suck. I went to a massage therapist and physio for both!

I also have chronic lower back pain that I manage...it also sucks. Women have to be careful with back pain (especially lower). Because there are so many nerves in the hip/pelvis region, back pain can be the symptom of other things!

Take care of yourself!!!

I walk when I can, rest when it hurts too much.

I have a good bed. I try to have supportive shoes. I try to make sure that I sit properly and stand properly. I don't do a lot of high impact activity such as hard running on concrete or too much jumping. I am very careful about lifting things. I eat oranges regularly.

Some times I get horrible pain anyway, just once in a while. If I get really desperate I will lay on the floor and do this hip twist I learned which pops my spine if it is too stiff, that provides a lot of relief. Another thing is a position that's called the 90-90 where you lay with your back flat on the floor, and calves up on a chair so that you can totally relax and have your hips bent about 90 degrees upward and your knees bent 90 degrees, and getting this position right so that you can just be loose and relax for a while, not using muscles to maintain it.

MRI, X-Ray, Dr.

Anyone here experience back pain to any degree? And if so is there anything you do about it?

I've been having to sleep on the floor a lot for my back these days. I suspect I may have a tilted hip.

You should see a doctor and get tested for rheumatoid arthritis...the form of arthritis I have is called Ankylosing Spondylitis and one of the classic symptoms of it is sleeping on the floor believe it or not.
Been there, done that.

The disease starts with low back pain that comes and goes. Low back pain is present most of the time as the condition progresses.

• Pain and stiffness are worse at night, in the morning, or when you are less active. The discomfort may wake you from sleep, and laying flat on the floor may help relive the pain.
  • The pain often gets better with activity or exercise.
  • Back pain may begin in the sacroiliac joints (between the pelvis and spine). Over time, it may involve all or part of the spine.
  • Your lower spine becomes less flexible. Over time, you may stand in a hunched forward position.
Other parts of your body that may be stiff and painful include:

• The joints between you ribs and breastbone, so that you cannot expand your chest fully
  • Swelling and pain in the joints of the shoulders, knees and ankles
  • Swelling of the eye
Fatigue is also a common symptom.
Less common symptoms include:

• Loss of appetite
  • Slight fever
  • Weight loss

Anyhow...it doesn’t mean you have it, but it’s worth checking out....you could of have pulled a muscle or something similar...you should have a doctor check it out if it doesn’t go away.

Reactions: barbad0s
I messed up my sciatic nerve years ago shoveling snow, and every so often it will flare up. The last flare up was when I worked in a call center two years ago and it was an extremely sedentary job. The pain was excruciating for more than 6 months, just no reprieve until I found another job (that allowed me to get up and move around) and bought a new bed. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It starts to bother me if I have a slow day at work and sit around at my desk all day. Exercise and movement and stretching seems to keep it at bay.

I never saw a doctor for it so it's not diagnosed as sciatica but I came to that conclusion from reading about back pain...

Last edited:
Reactions: invisible
I have slight scoliosis in my back. My spin around my torso is turned towards the left so my ribs on my left are pushed more forward than on my right and for whatever reason the muscle in my back on my left is crazy strong and stiff. Lol but just the left one... It's not something you can see unless I'm naked and even then I'd have to be on my back for someone to see the full extent of how my body is misshapen. That being said the women I have sex with really love how I explain it, lol... Confidence is sexy :D

And I see a chiropractor twice a month to manage the pain. It helps a lot..!! Along with you know, exercise and correct posture.

:O you all should try Yoga. I've heard great success stories from people who have dealt with chronic pain and how they managed it with Yoga. I wanna try it myself, but every YouTube video spends 10 minutes telling me to relax lol which only angers me cause I am relaxed! And now I'm wasting time! Hahaha I'm impatient *hangs head in shame*

[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]

How's your back? Any better?

:O you all should try Yoga. I've heard great success stories from people who have dealt with chronic pain and how they managed it with Yoga. I wanna try it myself, but every YouTube video spends 10 minutes telling me to relax lol which only angers me cause I am relaxed! And now I'm wasting time! Hahaha I'm impatient *hangs head in shame*

Yoga is really good at helping your posture and giving you core strength- but you have to be VERY careful because you can actually do more damage to it! Sometimes people will go deeper into the poses without realizing they're doing more damage to their back. I think it would also depend on what the injury is. I have endometriosis which gives me chronic lower back pain- the stretching and holding of certain poses gives me much relief! However, when I had my other back issues, I actually did more damage because I was going deeper into the stretches to get more relief.

Different types of yoga can also have different impacts! Sitting and/or laying yoga would be really good for your back! I would stay away from hot yoga though!

Yoga is really good at helping your posture and giving you core strength- but you have to be VERY careful because you can actually do more damage to it! Sometimes people will go deeper into the poses without realizing they're doing more damage to their back. I think it would also depend on what the injury is. I have endometriosis which gives me chronic lower back pain- the stretching and holding of certain poses gives me much relief! However, when I had my other back issues, I actually did more damage because I was going deeper into the stretches to get more relief.

Different types of yoga can also have different impacts! Sitting and/or laying yoga would be really good for your back! I would stay away from hot yoga though!

I have endometriosis too! Had surgery for it and everything. It's not been as bad since, they might have cleared it all up *shrugs* I'm sure it'll come back lol... I have PCOS too though, that's a bitch!! *grabs boobs* is so painful :(
Hahaha...

I have a really really old vhs tape about stretching and I was patient enough to watch the whole thing..! Plus the guy really got to the point, which I appreciated. He talked about how the stretch should feel like barely a stretch, and by the time you could to ten that feeling of the stretch should subside and then if you want push a little further to just repeat but don't go into a realm of pain. He said that the idea that you should stretch at an 8 on a scale of 1-10 could really hurt you and tear those muscles causing more pain and recovery time and to not do that. Also close your eyes so you can concentrate more on how the stretch feels and relax your breathing into a deep breath in through the nose and a slow breath out through the mouth, kinda like a whistle. It was actually really helpful cause I just stretched all the way until I break myself lol and then go to the chiropractor and get some pain meds... Yup, use to be real stupid about stretching *nods* :/

I have endometriosis too! Had surgery for it and everything. It's not been as bad since, they might have cleared it all up *shrugs* I'm sure it'll come back lol... I have PCOS too though, that's a bitch!! *grabs boobs* is so painful :(
Hahaha...

I have a really really old vhs tape about stretching and I was patient enough to watch the whole thing..! Plus the guy really got to the point, which I appreciated. He talked about how the stretch should feel like barely a stretch, and by the time you could to ten that feeling of the stretch should subside and then if you want push a little further to just repeat but don't go into a realm of pain. He said that the idea that you should stretch at an 8 on a scale of 1-10 could really hurt you and tear those muscles causing more pain and recovery time and to not do that. Also close your eyes so you can concentrate more on how the stretch feels and relax your breathing into a deep breath in through the nose and a slow breath out through the mouth, kinda like a whistle. It was actually really helpful cause I just stretched all the way until I break myself lol and then go to the chiropractor and get some pain meds... Yup, use to be real stupid about stretching *nods* :/

I've also had surgery for it! It's come back though, but I try and manage it- but I'll likely need another surgery.

I've found that because I often 'baby' my back, it means I have to do a lot more core and back strengthening exercises for it! It's an absolutely painful thing to start, but it does get better...it also means that I hold my stress there, so I go for massages often to help with it!

When I hurt my back at soccer- I thought it was just a flare up, so I continued to do my exercises and yoga, and ended up doing more damage.

I agree with the stretch! You should have slight discomfort at first, old for a time, then let go- but always try and go a bit deeper with it- unless there's more to the problem!

So I went to my doctor and he told me I just have muscle pain, and that I should do rowing exercises at the gym and take Advil to sleep if I need to.

I just got my dad to step on my back lol. Normally I get a friend or Endersgone to do it, but I'm my ronery self at home.

Physio is expensive for me now because I'm not in school this semester so f that. I'm just going to ask my dad to step on my back for free (I'm just a little worried about him slipping and making me a paraplegic because he's a 250 lb person). Planning on going to the Japanese dollar store and buying some back rollers that I can set on the floor and roll around on.

Reactions: endersgone

I had persistent lower back pain for a while. It's one of those very common, unexplained flare-ups that accompany depression.

I gave my bed away and now I sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag. I haven't had any pain since the shift.

I just got my dad to step on my back lol. Normally I get a friend or Endersgone to do it, but I'm my ronery self at home.

Physio is expensive for me now because I'm not in school this semester so f that. I'm just going to ask my dad to step on my back for free (I'm just a little worried about him slipping and making me a paraplegic because he's a 250 lb person). Planning on going to the Japanese dollar store and buying some back rollers that I can set on the floor and roll around on.

Have you tried the 90-90 or belly hang? I already described the 90-90 in a previous post, but the belly hang can also work for tight muscles.

You can look it up but basically it's being on your hands and knees with your butt up in the air and relaxing your middle and just kind of letting it hang down, kind of like your back is drooping loosely. What this supposedly does is fully compresses the back muscles which makes them think they're fully contracted so they get a signal to shut off.

Have you tried the 90-90 or belly hang? I already described the 90-90 in a previous post, but the belly hang can also work for tight muscles.

You can look it up but basically it's being on your hands and knees with your butt up in the air and relaxing your middle and just kind of letting it hang down, kind of like your back is drooping loosely. What this supposedly does is fully compresses the back muscles which makes them think they're fully contracted so they get a signal to shut off.

Meh that has never worked for me. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

So far I've determined that the following things cause soreness:

- sitting for too long
- certain types of physical exercise or stretching
- overtraining certain muscles in the legs/back/shoulder area while undertraining others