Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
How do people feel about different kinds of authority figures?

My boss has to go before an overseeing body soon - this is just a standard meeting - but he has the bearing of a man about to undergo unusual, life-threatining surgery.

Being a bit freudian about it, I'm guessing that one of his parents was probably somewhat tyrannical or exacting?

authority figures are sometimes good because they organize people who would otherwise get nothing done. haven't you ever been in a group of people who were all waiting for someone to give them direction? in those times, SOMEBODY has to step up, or else progress stagnates.

on the other hand, authority figures who lead not out of a necessity but simply because they want to be control, are undesirable. it's like having too many police in an area where there is little crime (or too many mods on a forum with few members, to give a more relatable example), not only will they clash with each other in an effort to exert their individual authority, they will clash with the people they're ruling because their presence will be become more of an interference than a required help.

I've always been very respectful of teachers and professors even when they were a little tyrannical. Police officers I am just automatically rude to and I don't know why. I've never even had a speeding ticket. *knocks on wood* Kinda strange, huh?

I've always been very respectful of teachers and professors even when they were a little tyrannical. Police officers I am just automatically rude to and I don't know why. I've never even had a speeding ticket. *knocks on wood* Kinda strange, huh?

Each time a cop gets behind me while I'm driving I get very tense and nervous, and I have nothing to hide.

I will actually take a different route just to get away from them, even if it will end up making me late. Even stranger that a handful of my family members are police officers..
Plus everytime I've ever been pulled over I've gotten out of a ticket.. I don't know why.
(And no, I've never mentioned a cop family member to do so.)
and I'm still afraid of the 5-O.

Last edited:
Reactions: the
I generally have a problem with authority. I prefer a person who knows how to mold people into a team by being directly involved, instead of standing from afar.

May have something to do with growing up with my ENTJ father.

Teachers and professors, I generally never had problems with.

I do not look at cops as authority figures. I view them as order-keepers, and I know how to behave myself, so I generally ignore them. I've had more good experiences than bad with them though, though most people I know can't say this. AND I understand that tense feeling when they are behind you in the car. I used to be terribly afraid of cops (more jail than anything). At this point, I just observe them in the rearview mirror to let them know I'm aware they are behind me and keep driving.

Depends on if their authority is based on merit or not. I instinctively rebel again "undeserving" or abusive authority (bad cops, corrupt politicians, incompetent or mean bosses, etc.).

I don't care how sweet or respectful an authority figure is, and my parents were very laid back but responsible... there's just something about being around authority figures that makes me feel like having an anxiety attack lol

Reactions: ClevelandINTP
Each time a cop gets behind me while I'm driving I get very tense and nervous, and I have nothing to hide.

I will actually take a different route just to get away from them, even if it will end up making me late.

+1

I should add that I've never had any sort of legal problem, and this reaction isn't unique to cops. They all scare me, even if I see something that makes it hard to take them as seriously.

Last edited:
I always treat authority figures with far more scrutiny than normal. In my eyes, power means far more responsibility.

It depends on the person. A very small minority of people instill fear in me (my nemeses), some command my respect, others earn it over time, and others I raise my eyebrow to. I think personality plays a part, but also charisma, conviction, integrity.. all sorts of things. A title alone doesn't matter much to me, aside from my token attempt to acknowledge the social convention it affords them.

Authority figures don't mean anything to me. I will respect people who are understanding, respectful, kind etc whether they are in charge or not. If my boss is a douchebag I find hard to not let that person know I think that. Yes, this gets me in trouble.

I have zero respect for people who think they are better than others because they are in charge. Or for people who use their autority belittle others in order to massage their own delicate egos.

Even worse are the ones who aren't actually in charge but like to make others think they are anyway. The preening with the conceit of their imagined status drive me nuts

I've worked under good people, and I've worked under horrible people. My opinion on authority figures is that they are great when they deserve it. Otherwise, they tend to be authority figures.