Authentic Projection | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Authentic Projection

@Pin That being said, we have to depend on trusting others pretty much on a constant basis, when you think about it.

And a PhD will give you mastery of a very specific subfield, not even a larger field of study. I think that you're fine as long as you're in a position to trust people you have already identified as trustworthy.

What's currently making you have to take a leap of faith in the unknown and unqualified Pin?
Belief in God, as it's logically possible but not empirically testable. @Ren

Outside of that, I try to make decisions exclusively within the domain of empirical evidence.

I assumed dragulagu is refining the question parameters to better answer the question.
Yup, it was a bit of a trick (but serious) question. Before discussing the topic on authenticity (projection), first define what authenticity is.

Subjective viewpoint of the individual makes responses hard here for a definitive answer.
giphy.gif

“Being authentic means that you act in ways that show your true self and how you feel. Rather than showing people only a particular side of yourself, you express your whole self genuinely. That means to succeed in being authentic, you first have to know who your true self actually is.”

How does this work in the current society though. Let's say you'd openly give your authentic opinion on a sensitive subject. No matter which side you'd take, there will be a guarantee you'd get voiced down from the opposite side.

To be authentic means that you are able to stand your ground firm enough that you are willing to take any repercussion and that could imply a lot of sacrifice. It's not that easy.

Knowing who your true self actually is takes a lot of life experience. And even then, there will always be doubts, even for the greatest leaders.

So it's a normal thing to see inauthentic characteristics in people, everyone has them.

Last edited:
Reactions: flower and John K
Being true to myself is important to me. When I was living a very inauthentic life I remember a deep sadness that was hard to live with. One day I realised the sadness was there because I wasn't being true to myself. I left a career and relationship within a week - this was difficult but necessary. That was the very beginning of a journey towards authenticity and years later I'm still learning!

It doesn't bother me if others are being inauthentic, we are all on our own paths in life and I'm more concerned about my own authenticity.

Reactions: John K and MegaHen
Projection is often judging or hating others for something you yourself have as a quality, right? During shadow work it’s important to look at your own projections..

INFJs and authenticity, is that a projection?

We only want authentic people in our lives, and may judge others who feel phony or inauthentic

But, and forgive me if I am wrong- We also people please, and wear masks to attune to others personalities, it can be so hard for us to be authentic versions of ourselves in the outside world... yet I personally have judged others for the very same thing

So maybe, it’s important not to judge others on how authentic they are and instead work on our own struggles with this.. maybe forgive ourselves and them for struggling to show themselves wholly and safely to the outside world

many of you have probably thought of this already and I’m late to the game lol, but interesting thought none the less. Feel free to disagree with me, would love to hear your opinions!
After reading through the thread, my gut feeling is that the word authentic is not a good one to use about people. It assumes that there is an idealised standard against which to compare in order to make a judgement - but we aren't like Ming pottery and there is no idealised or genuine version of myself that I can go to to see if I'm the real thing or a fake. This issue seems to me to be bound up with the way INFJs can easily run into boundary problems - we can lose a sense of our own identity through the social pressures we encounter. One powerful reason for this is that we internalise other people emotionally in order to understand and empathise with them, and this risks confusing and blending their emotions with our own. It isn't a given that we know instinctively how to handle this, and we have to learn how to control it the hard way, by trial and error, very much like a baby learning to walk and talk.

A problem is that taking control, finding our own inner boundaries and asserting them, feels like it's letting others down, particularly if they have been taking advantage of us. It's as essential to do this as it is to take care of our own skin though - the boundary of our body. Far from scolding ourselves and worrying about our possible inauthenticity, a key to dealing with it is to give ourselves the same love and concern we try and give to others. Once we have gone at least some of the way to sorting it out, we can then make conscious choices of how we present ourselves in each of our social settings - understanding that it is our true nature to do this (which I guess means it's authentic ;)). I see this as analogous to choosing which clothes we wear in different social settings - work, home, party, funeral, etc.

Are we projecting if we see faults in others? Possibly, but they may genuinely be asses. By definition, a projection is an unconscious behaviour or attitude of your own that you falsely see in others - of course you won't be aware of it so it's not straightforward to uncover the truth. If other people see the same thing as you then it's unlikely to be a projection, whereas if no-one else sees it then it most likely is. Neither is guaranteed though - for example, my dad when he was in the middle stages of dementia could have all sorts of people thinking his stories were true when I knew they were complete delusions, but he was very plausible. My own approach is to try and treat others with care and compassion and to avoid rushing to judgement - I see INxJs far too often charging off with their Fs and Ts when they should be avoiding judgement and giving their intuition plenty of time to work properly. At the same time I try to be street wise and avoid getting into situations where I might get into difficulties. I still don't always succeed :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:, but I do better than when I was a lot younger.

@Zola is saying something similar to this, I think. There is a strong undertow of Fi value judgement in the way that the word inauthentic is used about people, but I'm not clear that there is a genuine value that's easy to grasp behind the implied condemnation.

After reading through the thread, my gut feeling is that the word authentic is not a good one to use about people. It assumes that there is an idealised standard against which to compare in order to make a judgement - but we aren't like Ming pottery and there is no idealised or genuine version of myself that I can go to to see if I'm the real thing or a fake. This issue seems to me to be bound up with the way INFJs can easily run into boundary problems - we can lose a sense of our own identity through the social pressures we encounter. One powerful reason for this is that we internalise other people emotionally in order to understand and empathise with them, and this risks confusing and blending their emotions with our own. It isn't a given that we know instinctively how to handle this, and we have to learn how to control it the hard way, by trial and error, very much like a baby learning to walk and talk.

A problem is that taking control, finding our own inner boundaries and asserting them, feels like it's letting others down, particularly if they have been taking advantage of us. It's as essential to do this as it is to take care of our own skin though - the boundary of our body. Far from scolding ourselves and worrying about our possible inauthenticity, a key to dealing with it is to give ourselves the same love and concern we try and give to others. Once we have gone at least some of the way to sorting it out, we can then make conscious choices of how we present ourselves in each of our social settings - understanding that it is our true nature to do this (which I guess means it's authentic ;)). I see this as analogous to choosing which clothes we wear in different social settings - work, home, party, funeral, etc.

Are we projecting if we see faults in others? Possibly, but they may genuinely be asses. By definition, a projection is an unconscious behaviour or attitude of your own that you falsely see in others - of course you won't be aware of it so it's not straightforward to uncover the truth. If other people see the same thing as you then it's unlikely to be a projection, whereas if no-one else sees it then it most likely is. Neither is guaranteed though - for example, my dad when he was in the middle stages of dementia could have all sorts of people thinking his stories were true when I knew they were complete delusions, but he was very plausible. My own approach is to try and treat others with care and compassion and to avoid rushing to judgement - I see INxJs far too often charging off with their Fs and Ts when they should be avoiding judgement and giving their intuition plenty of time to work properly. At the same time I try to be street wise and avoid getting into situations where I might get into difficulties. I still don't always succeed :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:, but I do better than when I was a lot younger.

@Zola is saying something similar to this, I think. There is a strong undertow of Fi value judgement in the way that the word inauthentic is used about people, but I'm not clear that there is a genuine value that's easy to grasp behind the implied condemnation.

This gave me a lot of clarity (even taking notes lol) Thankyou for sharing your insight and wisdom:)

@Pin That being said, we have to depend on trusting others pretty much on a constant basis, when you think about it.

And a PhD will give you mastery of a very specific subfield, not even a larger field of study. I think that you're fine as long as you're in a position to trust people you have already identified as trustworthy.

Yeah. Not to mention that when it comes to life, there's no guarantee that PhD in whatever field will give you better advice than 'just' a graduate.

PhD people are just as prone to biases as everyone else.

The key in life is to sharpen your judgement, think critically and know how to pick a correct source at any moment.

It would be terribly inefficient if everyone had a PhD. That's why we delegate tasks and have chains of command in place.

And even within a certain field there's still a lot of disagreements between PhDs, so that just proves that it's not like obtaining it means that you automatically converge towards a certain 'truth'.

Fortunately life isn't so rigid and there's still space for people to creatively express their skills without getting a PhD.

Also if we all had PhDs, who would actually do any work done? It would be like that Monthy Python piece where philosophers play football xD

Last edited:
Thanks! This video came out 3 days ago...I just know you're the type of person who searches for new Karl Popper content on youtube every day. :grinning:

Lmao! Actually it just popped up in my Youtube list. I was planning on just peeking at it but ended up watching the whole thing.

I didn't know he originally wanted to train/did train as a carpenter.

Lmao! Actually it just popped up in my Youtube list. I was planning on just peeking at it but ended up watching the whole thing.

I didn't know he originally wanted to train/did train as a carpenter.

He thought he was xSTP until he realized being an xNTP is way cooler. :tongueout:

He thought he was xSTP until he realized being an xNTP is way cooler. :tongueout:

His explanation is that no matter how hard he tried, he never managed to become sensor-y enough!