Are you like this? 500 Days of Summer

RRiveter

Community Member
Mar 30, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Confession: I was browsing through top 25 rom coms of all time to find one I could play while I fell asleep.

I saw the title '500 Days of Summer' and I remember seeing the movie poster for this hanging in my INxx friends room when we used to live together. She always hung things on her walls that meant something to her. She never struck me as a hopeless romantic.. at all. So, I decided to put it on.

I didn't sleep. Watched the whole thing all the way through with no breaks.

Have you guys seen this?!

Its a story about an INFJ, played by Zoey Deschanel, with a sad ending for the person who fell for her.
In the end, the person who falls for Zoey aka Summer, tries to remember the crappier parts of their relationship and I completely identify with the montage.

It was eerie how close this movie is to how I act in relationships. Its ridiculous. Also, makes me feel kinda like an ass. Haha

Anyone else have the same reaction to this movie?

936full-500-days-of-summer-screenshot.jpg

It was eerie how close this movie is to how I act in relationships. Its ridiculous. Also, makes me feel kinda like an ass. Haha

The first time I saw this movie, I absolutely loved it. I definitely had the same reaction, and I saw myself in her. I still think it's an awesome movie, but the last time I watched it (just a couple months ago) I kinda hated Summer. I feel like she knows the whole time that he isn't quite what she wants, but she makes the most of it while she can, and she doesn't care about the fallout. Granted, she does say all along that she isn't trying to belong to anyone, but from my experience with "casual," inevitably one person eventually starts to feel more than casual and someone gets hurt. The line in the movie that just kills me is when he asks why she danced with him at the wedding and she says "Because I wanted to."

I don't think her behavior is exclusively a "type" thing, and to be honest I didn't even think about what type Summer might be. I have an INTJ friend who also felt this movie accurately reflected her behavior in previous relationships. I think it's just an accurate portrayal of a certain romantic situation.

I saw it a long time ago. I really liked it but I felt awful for the guy. I actually thought he was the infj.

Anyone else have the same reaction to this movie?

I'm not so sure If I would label her as an INFJ. (not that I've ever met another INFJ) She could be, but the character she plays can also be most of the other types.
I can recognize myself a bit in both characters. But I agree, if I were Zoey/summer I'd not have gone for it either, especially after the montage. In fact i'm surprised they lasted that long when I saw the montage.
Then I was ABSOLUTELY terrified that the movie was gonna leave a bad after taste, but luckily both of them found their significant others in the end so its all good :p

I've not been in many relationships so I cannot really compare myself to them and say I completely identify with the manner in which these characters acted in their relationships.
I also agree with jennerb, summer goes along with it when she knows its not quite what she wants, and I too did not like that but I can also understand her reasons for doing so.
It was a nice movie though and great food for thought, perhaps we should all keep in mind, not to just remember the good (or the bad) times. ^^