Are we in the development of a new ethical code? | INFJ Forum

Are we in the development of a new ethical code?

Spiritual Leo

On Holiday
Apr 14, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Thinker
Are we in the time of a development of a new ethical code?

Ever since the beginning of our human existence we have developed an ethical code to live by. This code has helped us survive throughout the times when humans lived in caves and in the jungles. During that time, humans had to fight for food, kill to survive, and constantly gather whatever they could to prolong their existence, but should we really continue this behavior?

We live in a technologically advanced world where there is enough to go around for everyone, so why do we continue this behavior?

Instead of beating a society down, why not build a society up and work together?

We no longer have to fight or kill for thing because we have so much right now. Were the 1960's the beginning times of breaking the old ethical code and developing a new one?

It would be nice to make sure we all have enough, not just those who can afford it.

All wars are civil wars because we are all one in reality. There is no they; there is only us.

Reactions: Quiet

Yes and no. I think we're always reinventing ourselves in certain ways but I don't think this is the social revolution people are gearing up for.

Ever since the beginning of our human existence we have developed an ethical code to live by. This code has helped us survive throughout the times when humans lived in caves and in the jungles. During that time, humans had to fight for food, kill to survive, and constantly gather whatever they could to prolong their existence, but should we really continue this behavior?

I wouldn't say that's an ethical code, it's something inherent to our nature all thanks to evolution.

We live in a technologically advanced world where there is enough to go around for everyone, so why do we continue this behavior?
Instead of beating a society down, why not build a society up and work together?
We no longer have to fight or kill for thing because we have so much right now. Were the 1960's the beginning times of breaking the old ethical code and developing a new one?
It would be nice to make sure we all have enough, not just those who can afford it.
All wars are civil wars because we are all one in reality. There is no they; there is only us.

Well, our world is technologically advanced because of our competitive nature; our drive to constantly improve our conditions. If you remove incentives for creating new technologies, we won't have any more new technologies and our society will plateau. Evolutionarily speaking, I doubt stagnation is a good thing.

I agree that war is bad but I don't really believe that all war is civil war. The interconnection thing is great but at this point in time, it just doesn't exist.

I don't know who is beating down society but I assure you, people are always going to strive to improve their conditions. When everybody does this, society is made better off as a whole.

Not to go super political or anything but I truly believe that globalization is the only way we can get anywhere near close to world peace. Simply put, we start to depend on each other when we trade; we have to cooperate because we provide for each other, out of our own self interests.

The dollar looks likely to lose its place as the reserve currency as many countries begin to trade in other currencies

Many countries are investing in precious metals perhaps anticipating a move back to a gold standard

Peak oil us upon us but we haven't tackled the level of energy we require

Central bankers are keeping interest rates low which is preventing the kind of innovation that bickelz is talking about and is hammering savers but is enriching the speculators.

Some people will call me a 'conspiracy theorist' for saying this but it is clear to me that the central bankers are not doing what they need to do to rescue the economy. What they are doing is shifting the wealth away from the masses and to themselves; this will lead to a two tier situation where the bankers are like modern day robber barons who own all the land, utilities and means of production and the people are all indentured workers who must sell their time to the bankers in order to use the goods and services which the bankers will own.

Not a happy vision of the future is it? That's why it is being resisted by so many people around the world right now.

So in that sense you have two emergent view points at the most simple level:

View 1 is that of the bankers that they believe that there should be a centrally controlled economy dominated by them and that everyone else should be slave labour. They have already replaced democratically elected governments in Greece and Italy with their own 'technocrats' (bankers), which people should be outraged about.

View 2 is the view of the resistance to this who in general terms challenge the idea that the world should be run by corporations and central bankers and who believe that the people should have a say in the decision making process (ie they believe in democracy not corporate fascism) and should not be viewed as slaves to be exploited

There are sub categories of both of these viewpoints of course but those are the basic trends as far as i see

For example bickelz might tell you we need greater competition and more deregulation to free the markets, break up the coercive monopoly of the central bankers and stimulate growth

I have certain sympathies with some of the ideas behind that approach, but i believe that the same concentrations of wealth that are steering us towards neo-fuedalism would also continue to exert power under that system as well. The only way to truely safeguard the people is to break up the wealth and power of the elites. That means finding ways of allocating resources evenly without the use of money (which has no inherent value but is really just an illusion created to empower some and enslave others) and to give everyone an equal say in the democratic process.

The ideas i have expresses above are being discussed more and more in the public arena, particularly due to various protest movements around the world and are gaining popularity as people realise that to not impliment such changes will be to accept slavery

Competition will always see nefarious dealings and will always create fear. There are other ways of doing things and i think now is the perfect time for people to explore their options. To truely explore options people need to shake off the dogma that has been drilled into them through societal conditioning. this means questioning what they have been told.

This means a questioning of old ideas whether religious, political or economic; for example that the USSR was a communist country (it wasn't it was a state capitalist country), that communism is evil, that we need central banks or that we need money at all, that some people should be allowed to weild more political power than everyone else or various religious dogma etc

Nows the time to question all this and correct the mistakes of the past.

People will never agree on all of this however so they need to agree on some big principles and unite behind those because unity is the only way to challenge the coercive hierarchy. Once people have taken control of the levers of power then they can thrash out the smaller points.

That means groups like occupy wallstreet and the tea party finding common ground which requires overcoming many entrenched prejudices.

Last edited:

I agree with you. Humans dont need to be in self preservation mode anymore. It doesnt have to be a dog eat dog world. We have sufficient resources in the world for everyone to be comfortable but the problem is that wealth is distributed so unevenly. I agree with you about civil wars as well, wars hurt all of humanity.

The world is definately changing for the better, but there are still many people that would like to preserve the outdated and primitive thoughts such as 'me against you', greed and dominance.

I like to envision a future where everything is open source. Ever since my friend installed first Linux on my laptop 10 years ago I have been blown away at the potential of the open source culture. I believe in open source everything- technology, products, medicine etc. Collaboration, not competition, is the true way to evolve. Imagine the knowledge and understanding we would have if all scientists and inventors worked together for the good of everyone, instead of the interests of corporations. Knowledge would be available to everyone and anyone could contribute if they were able. I dont see how anyone would suffer or lose their civil liberties in this kind of world.

It bothers me so much that there are hundreds of different organisations and scientists competing with each other trying to find cures to cancer. Imagine if they all shared their research and collaborated, we would have already found the cure by now.