Anyone interested in making music? | INFJ Forum

Anyone interested in making music?

Sidis Coruscatis

Community Member
Dec 21, 2020
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't have that much experience myself, but ever since I started my foray into composition I was curious about the possible outcome of a shared creation. I even traveled to Australia and Japan for the specific purpose of looking for collaborators but it never came to anything close to my expectations.

So here's a clarion call - I have about a hundred projects in the backlog and zero motivation for my lazy ass to finish them. The chain must be broken. The art gods demand a proper tribute.

I can provide references to the few things I actually finished if anyone's interested.

Reactions: flower and Misty
I'm wondering why you aren't focused on asking for our help with motivating you to put them out yourself and "Be Your Own Grimes"? I encourage this.
Collaborating is also good, though. (Not with me... I'm not a musician.)

What are your expectations?

At this point, nothing concrete. Especially considering that doing this over the internet wouldn't exactly facilitate smooth communication of musical ideas. For now, let's just see if anyone is up for it.

@Asa I suppose that's also fine Asa. I'm mostly interested in the novelty - music was always a collaborative effort, yet somehow I managed to not experience it in that way for years. And at any rate, there's certainly nothing to lose by sharing ideas.

Sure, interested in listening to some music pieces. What kind of collaboration are you looking for?

I would like to trade short musical ideas that we can then develop together. My biggest weakness is that I can have flashes of creativity in regards to a single part of a piece, but then completely blank out on what I should do around it, so I just archive it "for later" and then go on to repeat the cycle most of the time.

@Korg I appreciate it either way. Started in Maschine, then did some mixing in Pro Tools, now I have everything in Ableton.

Here's a selection of older works that are mostly hip hop or soul-esque.

Plus a remix of a classic

Nowadays I do mostly classical and orchestral stuff.

I admire anyone that can get into composition or create something musically. I played piano for many years but in all that time I never once developed an interest in creating my own songs. I think I've always been the type of person that liked to perfect something given to me for exams and recitals but didn't really have the kind of mind that wanted to make something of my own.

Best of luck with your collaboration though. I think it's a very interesting idea.

Reactions: Sidis Coruscatis
I admire anyone that can get into composition or create something musically. I played piano for many years but in all that time I never once developed an interest in creating my own songs. I think I've always been the type of person that liked to perfect something given to me for exams and recitals but didn't really have the kind of mind that wanted to make something of my own.

Best of luck with your collaboration though. I think it's a very interesting idea.

Thanks. I was just talking about my guess on why I feel impelled to compose on my blog. Music is an exception, in general I'm not so different.

Reactions: SpecialEdition
Only tangentially. I'd love to but have little talent for composing, and there's so many things I'd love learning.
Sometimes lyrics or melodies come to me, and at one time my singing voice wasn't so bad.

Only tangentially. I'd love to but have little talent for composing, and there's so many things I'd love learning.
Sometimes lyrics or melodies come to me, and at one time my singing voice wasn't so bad.

What kind of things? I don't think I have any explicit talent myself. Often it feels too mechanical when I'm trying to make something emotive. Vocals are something I can't do easily myself, so that's something I would welcome.

I was actually thinking of 'audiating' some of your poems. They would be a good template for developing some thematic exposition.

@Korg I appreciate it either way. Started in Maschine, then did some mixing in Pro Tools, now I have everything in Ableton.
I'm ok with taking ableton as the DAW of choice. My workflow is Logic Pro X, but I'll have a go. Installing it on my windows laptop (wanted to try it out anyway). Give me some time to get the DAW setup. I've got Maschine 2 here as well.

I'd agree with just starting off with exchanging some musical snippets, have a bit of a exploration what fits. Keeping the full composing/mastering setup on a low for now.

And to grab an introduction straight from the Ableton site:

https://cdn-resources.ableton.com/resources/uploads/makingmusic/MakingMusic_DennisDeSantis.pdf

You’re considering the possibility of working with other musicians but aren’t sure how to proceed. What do you look for in a collaborator? What should their role be in the creative process?

When deciding on a partner for musical collaboration, the most important consideration is simply whether or not the partnership will result in better and/or more music. It’s tempting to imagine that your best friend will also be your ideal musical partner, but personal compatibility and professional compatibility aren’t necessarily related. Sure, the process will likely be more fun if you’re working with someone with whom you have a good social connection. But many personal relationships have been destroyed by attempting to extend them into professional relationships; if the professional one fails, the personal one might as well. If your best friend happens to also have a strong work ethic and great musical and technical skills, then the partnership might make sense. But if not, consider partnering with someone else. Of course, even the most talented musician isn’t going to work out in the long run if they’re a horrible person. But when in doubt, aim for professional compatibility first and social compatibility second.

Whenever possible, try to work with people who can counterbalance your strengths and weaknesses. The most obvious example is the classic “producer plus vocalist” partnership. The producer deals with all of the musical and technical aspects of the song, while the vocalist brings a particular talent that the producer simply doesn’t have. Beyond this obvious example, try to find partners who are good at a particular aspect of the production process that you’re bad at or that you dislike. For example, if you have trouble with arrangements, try to find a partner who excels at them. If you’re good at sound design and synth programming, don’t worry too much about finding a partner who also has these skills (although two completely well-rounded collaborators might be the ideal package).

Although the traditional model of collaboration involves multiple musicians in the same studio, recent technological advancements also make it possible to collaborate with people remotely, and possibly even anonymously. For example, the classic model of the studio musician has changed in recent years, and many session musicians who used to show up for recording studio dates are now tracking parts for a variety of projects from their home studios, sometimes without ever meeting the artists for whom they’re recording. This type of workflow is even easier for electronic musicians, because there’s no need for acoustic treatment, microphone setups, etc. For example, perhaps you have an idea for a synth part that’s beyond your ability to play. Using remote collaboration tools, you might find someone to record the part you need and deliver it back to you, entirely online.

Once you’ve found a good collaborative situation, it’s important that everyone involved understands exactly how things like workload, money, ownership, and creative rights are to be divided. Misunderstandings can result in a lot of misery for all parties, so it’s best to have clear conversations and real, mutual understanding as early as possible.

That's a great document. Do you work with live instruments or strictly electronic?
Mainly Nords, Virus Ti and Electron (though this is one's weirdly)..I want to dive back into Moogs. I got guitars and a Rav Drum (G Pigmy), by far my most favorite instrument.

Having said that, whatever works to be honest, VSTs now are powerful enough to take on anything.

What kind of things? I don't think I have any explicit talent myself. Often it feels too mechanical when I'm trying to make something emotive. Vocals are something I can't do easily myself, so that's something I would welcome.

I was actually thinking of 'audiating' some of your poems. They would be a good template for developing some thematic exposition.
Audiate... you mean like, trying to translate their cadence & themes into music? you can if you like, that would be interesting ^_^ see what we turn out. I'd appreciate if you could link my Twitter writer's profile for any song you did; would that be too much?

Mainly Nords, Virus Ti and Electron (though this is one's weirdly)..I want to dive back into Moogs. I got guitars and a Rav Drum (G Pigmy), by far my most favorite instrument.

Having said that, whatever works to be honest, VSTs now are powerful enough to take on anything.

I recognize some of these words lol. I stick to keyboard + VST combo. I have guitars and a bass but no convenient way to record them or the skill to utilize them beyond making samples.

@Winterflowers Sure, although I have virtually zero social media presence so I was planning to just send it to you directly or post it here.