anyone a vet assistant and/or technician? | INFJ Forum

anyone a vet assistant and/or technician?

Jill Hives

fhtagn
Retired Staff
Oct 11, 2010
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have been searching for a career path and keep coming back to veterinary assistant courses. Does anyone have any insight or opinions of this career they could offer? In general it appears the pay isnt usually the best, but I dont mind that so much. I would be in it for my interest in the animals and the science side of things, and because I believe it would be a fulfilling job.

Any experiences anyone can share?

I find that the bureaucratic side to handling medical billing and technical specifications is more lucrative. This may sound highly prejudice because it is so, but there seems to be a lot of over compensating females in the medical industry that are less than caring or feminine. Which doesn't surprise me considering they are biologically the gender with a higher pain threshold. Why save a life when you can make a life.

More specifically let us talk about the Veterinary side of things. I'm tired of some prescripted analytic dunce using the same method on every animal. There are more things living on this planet than you could ever possibly imagine. When I take my pet for a check up don't use the same thermometer you would use on a Saint Bernard on a baby chihuahua, damn near kabobed the little fellow jamming that up its rear.

And why is it every time they want to chop my dogs balls off. I will not buy some mass produced inbred pet to replace said pet. It has been proven time and time again that personality traits are inherited through reproduction. A whipped mother gives feral pups every time. It takes so many generations to domesticate them again all the while you are stuck with the thug dog that thinks its gangster to hang with a pack and chase cars, what a dumb animal.

And since when would a pet need dental service!? Just give them a steak bone to chew on and problem solved! Speaking of which boil the bones to make gravy its healthy for you too.

By the way cats don't eat tuna or milk drrrhh!! But try telling someone that and they won't listen at all and you get a reenactment of the exorcist on your hands. Speaking of which cat poop has brain controlling parasites in it that some think are responsible for crazy cat lady syndrome/schizophrenia

Last edited:
I don't think that was exactly what she was asking for.

***coughcrazycough***

Well, errmmmm... hrmmmmm...... uhhh..... you see..... well.... hmmmmm.

Vet techs are the Veterinarian's "whipping post" in most offices. You do most of the tedious work and then take the blame for things that go wrong. Then, of course, there's a matter of the Vet - do they willingly euthanize healthy pets? Could you work around them if you had to do that? What if they don't euthanize, but they're power-hungry idiots?

I've seen them all and, honestly, Vet-Teching is the one field you couldn't pay me enough to go (back) into.

Vet tech is one of those jobs you take because you are stuck in a shitty situation where you can't acquire the education to be an actual vet. Since the amount of people in this difficult situation is large, the pay is low and youll be treated poorly. Plus you have to deal with crazies (see post two). Its like the mcdonalds of animal care.

Last edited:
I was afraid of something like that. Thanks for sharing haha.

You might find volunteering at a local animal shelter really rewarding and fulfilling.
I agree that vet techs actually spend less time with the animals, and more time doing clerk or ward aid duties. BUT, that's not to say that you wouldn't still find it a job that you would enjoy!

I don't think that was exactly what she was asking for.

***coughcrazycough***

You are right it was far beyond what she asked for and with extra on the side at no charge. Nice to meet you Ms. Crazy. Might I recommend a good Pectin cough drop brand? They don't have that nasty menthol additive that makes one feel drugged.

It could very well be a fulfilling job. In my job, I have been in animal hospitals and seen vet techs at work and they did not seem miserable or to be mistreated. That sort of thing depends on the workplace culture.

Go for it if that is your interest. You won't know until you try and the animals need people there who really care. And if you end up not enjoying working for a vet, maybe you could work in another area with animals like a shelter or a zoo or a farm or as a grooming assistant. Or you could go to school for animal grooming. Groomers may actually earn more.

Reactions: flower and Asa
I understand this was originally posted in 2014 but for anyone else finding this now or in the future let me enlighten you.

I’m an INFJ and I’ve been a Registered Veterinary Technician for 10 years. I absolutely love my job. As an introvert it can be a bit of a challenge but I’m a very social person in my own special groups. Being an RVT has created that special social group that can only be bonded by the experience you get in vet med. the challenge for me has been finding the right group. This is usually known in the business as a ‘unicorn clinic.’ The personalities and styles of medicine have to align with your own comforts and values to thrive in the vet world. I have worked in many different practices and I’ve found only 2 that have checked both boxes for me.

That being said my schooling experience was one of the greatest times in my life. I’m an avid learner and the continuing education required in my profession keeps me in that groove. I have a love for education that I never really had in high school because I’m learning about things I’m passionate about. I WANTED to get up in the mornings and do kennels. In fact I hung out in the kennel area and learned so much more just going about the routine. I was better clued in on animal behavior and different practical approaches. I learned my own systems for processing and doing tedious tasks that I have kept with me. I learned about what it means to be a team player even when my team wasn’t ideal. I learned how to lead people effectively and find comfort in doing the best I can to get the best from others. Our common goal of effective and optimal care of the patients was the glue that kept us together.

I will say euthanasia is a difficult part of the job. You do get to a point where you can appreciate it though. Being able to peacefully end the suffering of an animal is actually rewarding. There’s a point in vet med where you understand all that an animal is going through just to stay alive. At that point it’s not fair to put them through more pain and suffering. Being there for clients is difficult but I find it worthwhile to help them find peace and remember the beautiful things about their pet that they love so much.

It is hard when people can’t or won’t comply with the vet’s recommendations. It’s hard when you are more invested than a client is with their own pet. I find that investing myself in those that care pulls me out of the funk caused by those that don’t. I actually find myself able to somehow turn some of the sour ones around by approaching things from a different angle as well. I get my clients points of view coming to me much easier over the years.

All in all veterinary medicine is a rewarding and worthwhile career path for an INFJ in my opinion. If you can hack it through the schooling and the grueling daily grind it’s something that you can get into and wonder why you didn’t try sooner. Burning out is a real threat in vet med but having a great team at work and at home is key. Always keeping others in the loop of your feelings is something you must be able to do. Lean on those you trust and they will be there for you. Vet med is a beautiful community and I wouldn’t be anywhere else. I also wouldn’t be the person I am today in or out of the hospital without it.