anyone a vet assistant and/or technician? | INFJ Forum

anyone a vet assistant and/or technician?

Discussion in 'Education and Careers' started by Jill Hives, Jan 10, 2014.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Jill Hives
  1. Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I have been searching for a career path and keep coming back to veterinary assistant courses. Does anyone have any insight or opinions of this career they could offer? In general it appears the pay isnt usually the best, but I dont mind that so much. I would be in it for my interest in the animals and the science side of things, and because I believe it would be a fulfilling job.

Any experiences anyone can share?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dohavior

Dohavior Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    sp/sx/so
    I find that the bureaucratic side to handling medical billing and technical specifications is more lucrative. This may sound highly prejudice because it is so, but there seems to be a lot of over compensating females in the medical industry that are less than caring or feminine. Which doesn't surprise me considering they are biologically the gender with a higher pain threshold. Why save a life when you can make a life.

More specifically let us talk about the Veterinary side of things. I'm tired of some prescripted analytic dunce using the same method on every animal. There are more things living on this planet than you could ever possibly imagine. When I take my pet for a check up don't use the same thermometer you would use on a Saint Bernard on a baby chihuahua, damn near kabobed the little fellow jamming that up its rear.

And why is it every time they want to chop my dogs balls off. I will not buy some mass produced inbred pet to replace said pet. It has been proven time and time again that personality traits are inherited through reproduction. A whipped mother gives feral pups every time. It takes so many generations to domesticate them again all the while you are stuck with the thug dog that thinks its gangster to hang with a pack and chase cars, what a dumb animal.

And since when would a pet need dental service!? Just give them a steak bone to chew on and problem solved! Speaking of which boil the bones to make gravy its healthy for you too.

By the way cats don't eat tuna or milk drrrhh!! But try telling someone that and they won't listen at all and you get a reenactment of the exorcist on your hands. Speaking of which cat poop has brain controlling parasites in it that some think are responsible for crazy cat lady syndrome/schizophrenia

#2 Dohavior, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  3. Vicarious

Vicarious Beware the Mighty Kwaken! Rawr!!!
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    I don't think that was exactly what she was asking for.

***coughcrazycough***

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Lerxst

Lerxst Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Well, errmmmm... hrmmmmm...... uhhh..... you see..... well.... hmmmmm.

Vet techs are the Veterinarian's "whipping post" in most offices. You do most of the tedious work and then take the blame for things that go wrong. Then, of course, there's a matter of the Vet - do they willingly euthanize healthy pets? Could you work around them if you had to do that? What if they don't euthanize, but they're power-hungry idiots?

I've seen them all and, honestly, Vet-Teching is the one field you couldn't pay me enough to go (back) into.

5. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Vet tech is one of those jobs you take because you are stuck in a shitty situation where you can't acquire the education to be an actual vet. Since the amount of people in this difficult situation is large, the pay is low and youll be treated poorly. Plus you have to deal with crazies (see post two). Its like the mcdonalds of animal care.

#5 the, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. OP
    Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I was afraid of something like that. Thanks for sharing haha.

7. say what

say what I like soft things...so soft!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4..maybe?
    You might find volunteering at a local animal shelter really rewarding and fulfilling.
    I agree that vet techs actually spend less time with the animals, and more time doing clerk or ward aid duties. BUT, that's not to say that you wouldn't still find it a job that you would enjoy!

8. Dohavior

Dohavior Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    sp/sx/so
    You are right it was far beyond what she asked for and with extra on the side at no charge. Nice to meet you Ms. Crazy. Might I recommend a good Pectin cough drop brand? They don't have that nasty menthol additive that makes one feel drugged.

9. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    It could very well be a fulfilling job. In my job, I have been in animal hospitals and seen vet techs at work and they did not seem miserable or to be mistreated. That sort of thing depends on the workplace culture.

Go for it if that is your interest. You won't know until you try and the animals need people there who really care. And if you end up not enjoying working for a vet, maybe you could work in another area with animals like a shelter or a zoo or a farm or as a grooming assistant. Or you could go to school for animal grooming. Groomers may actually earn more.