[INFJ] - Any of you self-employed? Would love your input! | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Any of you self-employed? Would love your input!

NoWhereMan

Mar 28, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Hi guys,

I've been doing some freelancing as an internet/social media marketer/writer for a few years now, and it's an industry I've been looking at as a possible way to earn a living on my own. The downside is I am absolutely horrible doing the business end of things, as well as trying to market myself. I find it weird that I can easily market other people and brands, but when it comes to selling myself, my head immediately becomes a vast wasteland of emptiness and space. :noidea: That's why all my freelance work has been done by proxy through an agency, rather than soliciting business on my own.

Has any other INFJs had problems like this too? I'd like to hear about them and the ways you've been able to solve it (if you did.) Thanks. :)

Yes, when it comes to anybody else I can see what they should do... when it comes to me I have little answers. I think its got something to do with overabundance of data about yourself. Youre so complicated you cannot be summed up neatly for someone else to read over. The way I got over this was by dealing less with other people and moving more of my passions into doing stuff I knew could work. I am in the midst of opening a brick and mortar store for collectibles and moving inventory from auctions etc. Really there is little marketing involved. The items sell themselves all I have to do is make them sizzle a little. I will tell you one trend I am noticing, people are moving away from services and moving into content. The established have the methods for disseminating the content, but the content has to come from somewhere, be it art or antiquities. If you are offering services, understand that you are in a shrinking market, not a growing market. You have to compete with way cheaper IT people in India who sub out for pennies on the dollar. Start dumping some of your talent into content you own and market that.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
You have to compete with way cheaper IT people in India who sub out for pennies on the dollar. Start dumping some of your talent into content you own and market that.

I find with internet marketing that kind of cheap labor is slowly being revealed for what it is, especially as Google starts to get smarter fleshing out the artificial content farming and relies more on author ranking. Highlighting the differences between that and genuine marketing with real people who turn out to be real customers has been one of the rewarding experiences of the work I've done. If it came down to content, I don't know what I could offer though, other than providing articles and photography for travel sites (where the competition is crazy fierce.) :)

I find with internet marketing that kind of cheap labor is slowly being revealed for what it is, especially as Google starts to get smarter fleshing out the artificial content farming and relies more on author ranking. Highlighting the differences between that and genuine marketing with real people who turn out to be real customers has been one of the rewarding experiences of the work I've done. If it came down to content, I don't know what I could offer though, other than providing articles and photography for travel sites (where the competition is crazy fierce.) :)

Yeah the competition will always be fierce, but you have to find where to sell the content you can create to a place where people cant get it.

I work part time for other people and part time for myself. I'm missing the tough business acumen gene so I've never been able to make that work for me on a full time basis. It isn't easy having two professional lives, but I make it work.

I work part time for other people and part time for myself. I'm missing the tough business acumen gene so I've never been able to make that work for me on a full time basis. It isn't easy having two professional lives, but I make it work.

The part time for yourself, do you have to go out and solicit business or is it a steady thing? That was the worst thing about freelancing on my own, I've been using sites like eLance to compete with others for jobs and it's like a beauty contest thing where I have to convince the potential client that I am the most awesomest awesome of awesome that ever awesomed up an awesome over other competing freelancers. There was never a time when it didn't feel awkward. o_O

The trick is to actually provide quality work to your target market, and the word-of-mouth will spread. Starting out you might need to do some low-pay or even free jobs, but as long as what you do is satisfactory+, the clients will come rolling in. Of course, having social media helps, but don't expect results from simply spamming your Facebook or Twitter. I also recommend collaboration with like-minded people; shows team-work/leadership skills.

If you're a writer, start a blog. Blogs are great for getting your work out there, and can be on anything you want! A friend of mine blogs movie and TV reviews, and writes for my old university's news paper doing the same thing, while majoring in journalism - so he's getting plenty of exposure (people who like to discuss cinema/TV/pop culture) while also keeping up on his writing skills and advancing in his career path.

The trick is to actually provide quality work to your target market, and the word-of-mouth will spread. Starting out you might need to do some low-pay or even free jobs, but as long as what you do is satisfactory+, the clients will come rolling in. Of course, having social media helps, but don't expect results from simply spamming your Facebook or Twitter. I also recommend collaboration with like-minded people; shows team-work/leadership skills.

If you're a writer, start a blog. Blogs are great for getting your work out there, and can be on anything you want! A friend of mine blogs movie and TV reviews, and writes for my old university's news paper doing the same thing, while majoring in journalism - so he's getting plenty of exposure (people who like to discuss cinema/TV/pop culture) while also keeping up on his writing skills and advancing in his career path.

Cool, thanks for the info, I feel better about this because this is basically what I'm doing now. The worst part of it is networking though. I really REALLY have a hard time with that when attending conferences such as SXSW where everyone seems to be in a party mode. Five minutes of glad handing and I'm so fatigued that I could sleep for days afterward. :D

Cool, thanks for the info, I feel better about this because this is basically what I'm doing now. The worst part of it is networking though. I really REALLY have a hard time with that when attending conferences such as SXSW where everyone seems to be in a party mode. Five minutes of glad handing and I'm so fatigued that I could sleep for days afterward. :D

Yes, I know, that SUCKS hugely. I've had to learn to network, and I hate to break it to you, but networking is one of the best ways to promote yourself and your business. You have to get out there and actually talk to actual people -- I've been to several conferences and have much to my shock gotten a good deal of work that way.

Follow up with people you meet, too, don't just hole up and/or drink heavily, however much you may be tempted to do so. Give them a call or email afterwards and show you were listening to them.

Also, you should have a logo, a good business name, and a branding plan. I'm sure you probably already have those things but just in case you don't, you should.

Best of luck.

Yes, I know, that SUCKS hugely. I've had to learn to network, and I hate to break it to you, but networking is one of the best ways to promote yourself and your business. You have to get out there and actually talk to actual people -- I've been to several conferences and have much to my shock gotten a good deal of work that way.

Follow up with people you meet, too, don't just hole up and/or drink heavily, however much you may be tempted to do so. Give them a call or email afterwards and show you were listening to them.

Also, you should have a logo, a good business name, and a branding plan. I'm sure you probably already have those things but just in case you don't, you should.

Best of luck.

To quote my favorite TV show, when it comes to networking I'd rather dip my jewels in honey, then go on a bear watch. :D

I have a best friend who is far more successful at these ventures than I am, it's always be my hope that one day we can pool our resources and start a business together, with him being responsible for the networking and business end of things, and me being responsible for things that actually matter. ;)

I always look at those sites for freelance work but can't seem to get myself to really ever care about writing anything they need. I am self employed in the sense that I wrote my own (Young Adult) book and have been editing, reediting and trying to send it to publishers & agents for over a year. (and no, I would rather struggle with it for another 5 years, then give up and toss it into the ether as an e-book)

I always look at those sites for freelance work but can't seem to get myself to really ever care about writing anything they need. I am self employed in the sense that I wrote my own (Young Adult) book and have been editing, reediting and trying to send it to publishers & agents for over a year. (and no, I would rather struggle with it for another 5 years, then give up and toss it into the ether as an e-book)

I had that exact same problem, unless I have some interest or passion in the subject they wanted me to write about, writing a paragraph for a client was more painful than performing a hernia operation on myself using a wooden spoon. I hated how everyone else could effortlessly rake in the dough churning out bland articles nonstop, and I felt like I was too much of an untalented lazy hack to be able to compete with that.

Good day:

Over the years, I've started three businesses for which two failed and one took off thanks to God.

The first one that failed was that I allowed my introversion to get in the way. The second one failed because I didn't know when to say "no" to a prospective client; and I allowed them to talk me into a task I knew would fail (and then did).

The third was "Dynamic Net, Inc." that I was the steward for 17.5 years before selling it this past November. I'm just going to be turning 50; so I'm now in the process of trying to determine what next in my own life.

In terms of recommendations:

1. Develop a portfolio that can speak for you of the type of work you do.

2. Have a goal to develop and keep at least three relatively recent (none older than 2 years) case studies that document the problem, why the client hired you (directly or indirectly), and what was the end result. How did that end result not only solve the problem, but make the life better for the client?

Those two tools along with an up to date resume will go miles in doing the selling for you.

3. When you are working through a project, once you get half way done, start seeding the question of "can I use you as a referral?" and "can I get a letter of recommendation from you?" for which you want to try and confirm at the end of the project. Always be willing to go the extra mile to make the customer happy so you can secure the referral / recommendation.

4. When you know the client is happy, ask them if they know anyone else who needs the type of service you provide.

5. Always try to have kindling and logs for the fire even when you believe you are swamped; famine comes often to small businesses.

Thank you.

Hi guys,

I've been doing some freelancing as an internet/social media marketer/writer for a few years now, and it's an industry I've been looking at as a possible way to earn a living on my own. The downside is I am absolutely horrible doing the business end of things, as well as trying to market myself. I find it weird that I can easily market other people and brands, but when it comes to selling myself, my head immediately becomes a vast wasteland of emptiness and space. :noidea: That's why all my freelance work has been done by proxy through an agency, rather than soliciting business on my own.

Has any other INFJs had problems like this too? I'd like to hear about them and the ways you've been able to solve it (if you did.) Thanks. :)

My best experience with today's world as an infj business owner has been great when dealing with great people, good when dealing with good people, and seemed terrible when people seemed terrible. There have been all kinds of people out there, and many of them have I had different ways dealing with other businesses and customers. After giving the world my best physical years of business, I have to at least give many of my associates ratings, if I were to be rating them, just for putting up with me.............................................................................................. Having had most of my life ending up in one large, strangely-shaped jar of experiences with things I/we could maybe sell something of to help get us by in the world as it has turned out to be, as opposed to what we had thought it might better turn out to be, it now looks difficult removing a part of it without possibly destroying all of the effort. A lot of feelings went into this adventure of life and business, to which I see success. Wanting to somewhat use part of this to further develop another part just isn't what it used to be. I chose something that would HELP people close to me to have the lives they deserved over the years. Now, my heart is in it no longer. Someone else's heart needs to be deeply rooted in it for me to be truthfully vested in it any longer, and it appeared this will be drained into nothing before all is said and done. We have been through so much and lost so much over the last few years, it is time it should stop raining. I'm not talking only of physical and temporal things............................................................................................................................ If we were a success, we still are a success. If others see me as a failure, their subjective view of success may be different than that of my own. If I had it all to do over again, I would certainly change my plans knowing our government would be in such a sad state of affairs (subjective, right?). However, the main people I loved and still love would remain my main goal. My best advice isn't planning around infjivity; it is choosing something that will last the test of the world. I gave my heart to my Maker, and in doing so changed my worldview of success. I have laid down my arms to the aggressor, but they will be supplied should I ever get asked to pick them up. My biggest and best weapon is my word, and I do plan to stay true to that. Good luck with your adventures.

Last edited:
Good day:

Over the years, I've started three businesses for which two failed and one took off thanks to God.

Sorry for the belated reply. This is very good advice. Thanks for your input. Our future media kits will definitely be designed with those things in minds, I think the hardest part will be getting the first few clients, but once that hurdle is cleared it'll be much easier to build a good portfolio from there.

are any of you hirin- oh wait, wrong thread.
well, Billy did say I was being outsourced. ;)

For those of you who are entrepreneurs, what finally made you take that step? You do sacrifice some safety/stability, what made it worth it to you?

Hi NoWhereMan,

Peter has given very valuable advice - get referrals and use your network, including past clients (start by asking them if they know of anyone who may benefit from your expertise).

On the business side, I'd say start by setting yourself a financial goal for the next year, and then break that down and start working backwards:
- to achieve that goal in 1 years time, what will you need to have / be doing in 11 months time?
ex: i want to be earning x, and in order to do so I need to have y number of clients or sell z products / services.
- and in 10 months time?
- etc
- until that will bring you to 1 months time, then break that down week by week into specific actions / tasks you need to be doing.

If you achieve each of these smaller milestones, you'll reach your 1 year goal.

It will seems a lot more achievable when you figure out what your first step needs to be and move your focus to that.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Catarina

I just took the personality test yesterday. I have trouble expressing the feeling I got when reading about my personality type. It felt great to be understood. I was astonished when reading your question because I too have the same problem. I have always been in situations where sales was the job easiest to get, but I didn't like it and always felt stressed and uncomfortable. It seemed to be a good fit because I am so personable with people, but my empathy towards others always got in the way of the selling techniques. Marketing has always been something I could understand and relate to. I love creating and helping someone get a service they want. Inspire for them to buy from a person who could sell it to them. No gimmicks, not manipulation, no dishonesty..... When I read your post I was surprised because I have also been learning and want to make money from social media/digital marketing. I have a love and passion for all things computers (pc and mobile). It took me many years of jumping all over the place not feeling like I belonged anywhere. Until I found that I am quiet good at marketing and design. I want to also start my own business or work for someone who will allow me to be the creative person I was meant to be. Thank you for your post.

The part time for yourself, do you have to go out and solicit business or is it a steady thing? That was the worst thing about freelancing on my own, I've been using sites like eLance to compete with others for jobs and it's like a beauty contest thing where I have to convince the potential client that I am the most awesomest awesome of awesome that ever awesomed up an awesome over other competing freelancers. There was never a time when it didn't feel awkward. o_O

Sorry, I lost track of this thread. Yes, I have to solicit business. I do trade shows and pro bono work where I think I might be able to drum up potential clients. This works better for me than shallow and mindless schmoozing. With pro bono work I can give something of value to the community and also get something in return, everyone wins this way and I don't have to prostitute myself or my work in some cheap way that makes me feel crummy. I also have an advertising packet that sums up my work in a concise way so people can see my best work and what I've done in less than a minute or two. Like I said I also work part time for someone else, but this is related to what I do as a freelancer so I stay on top of what's happening in the market, continue to develop my skills, and grow my clientele.

are any of you hirin- oh wait, wrong thread.
well, Billy did say I was being outsourced. ;)

For those of you who are entrepreneurs, what finally made you take that step? You do sacrifice some safety/stability, what made it worth it to you?

(Better late than never) Two things in my case: hate of cubicle culture and a vision that I worked hard to execute.

I went through 80 hour+ working weeks, payless months, a cross-border legal dispute.

And it was worth every minute, although could use some optimisation. I get to run my own show and I made my dream come through.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawr