Artisan

Dares, Dreams, Does
Jun 11, 2014
MBTI
INFJ-A
Enneagram
1w2
Hey people ^^

So we all know that internet is slowly going to hell in a tug of war between various entities.
However, there are alternatives being made to the internet being made, one of which is by Kim Dotcom. Here is a video about Kim and his new project.

[video=youtube;2fVl06phBGg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fVl06phBGg[/video]

Please watch the whole video and share how do you feel about his new project, and particularly what kind of impact you think this would have if successfully launched in today's political environment^^

Last edited:
Al Gore created the internet. He can fix it.

Al Gore created the internet. He can fix it.

All in favor? *wipes brow* Now that we know who to blame and the problem's solved, I can go back to my caviar... alright, maybe it's Chips Ahoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
I think it is an inevitability to have competing webs and/or internets. We already have a ton of intranets out there and things like the darknet/dark web and the infamous silk road, so something like this is a natural evolution of that.

[video=youtube;f99PcP0aFNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99PcP0aFNE[/video]

I think it is an inevitability to have competing webs and/or internets. We already have a ton of intranets out there and things like the darknet/dark web and the infamous silk road, so something like this is a natural evolution of that.

[video=youtube;f99PcP0aFNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99PcP0aFNE[/video]

And we get to them through the internet...

Ok, I looked it up. It's not actually an internet replacement, it's a tunneling protocol. It's a cool idea. It'd probably work. But people need to stop saying it's an internet alternative because you still need the internet for it to work.

Literally no one would care about an alternative internet.

Imagine the logistical costs to building a competing ethernet solution. The technology might be there, but convincing broadband/telecommunications companies to invest billions of dollars to implement it?

large.jpg

Literally no one would care about an alternative internet.

Imagine the logistical costs to building a competing ethernet solution. The technology might be there, but convincing broadband/telecommunications companies to invest billions of dollars to implement it?

large.jpg

Yeah. What he's really talking about is a decentralized network of cell phones somehow working together without IP addresses. That part is technically possible. The problem is, what about content? What about other people who aren't close enough for your cellphone to directly reach the MegaNet?

In practice the MegaNet is not very mega because it will be empty of content and will have to tunnel over the actual internet to connect anyone who isn't nearby. All the content and services people love to have are on the regular internet and there's no way to get them without a connection to the regular internet somewhere.

To make a new internet people would have to choose to give up their existing services and move them to where pretty much nobody can get to them because they haven't adopted the new technology yet, which is not going to happen. Nobody is going to recreate all their favorite things on the entire internet just so five people can access it - they'll continue to use the regular internet where millions of people can already access it.

To make a new internet people would have to choose to give up their existing services and move them to where pretty much nobody can get to them because they haven't adopted the new technology yet, which is not going to happen. Nobody is going to recreate all their favorite things on the entire internet just so five people can access it - they'll continue to use the regular internet where millions of people can already access it.

OK so even if this idea isn't a totally new separate internet, as I said it is a step in the evolutionary process. And to your point, yea, that is a huge mountain to climb but the internet as a concept is still in its infancy. Way down the line, it isn't a totally inconceivable event. Granted it would take some very significant shifts in thinking.

OK so even if this idea isn't a totally new separate internet, as I said it is a step in the evolutionary process. And to your point, yea, that is a huge mountain to climb but the internet as a concept is still in its infancy. Way down the line, it isn't a totally inconceivable event. Granted it would take some very significant shifts in thinking.

It's not impossible. What concerns me is that it's not likely to happen through crowd funding. This guy knows his stuff and has lots of money so I'm sure he's aware of this which makes me afraid that it is little more than hype and a quick grab for yet more money. He shouldn't lead people on like it's a sure thing that will just happen tomorrow because it isn't.

It's not impossible. What concerns me is that it's not likely to happen through crowd funding. This guy knows his stuff and has lots of money so I'm sure he's aware of this which makes me afraid that it is little more than hype and a quick grab for yet more money. He shouldn't lead people on like it's a sure thing that will just happen tomorrow because it isn't.

Hahaha no kidding. I'm positive there is an aspect of that, because there always is. If something sounds too good to be true, it is.

It still would would be the "Internet" in most people's minds.

And a good idea, but not so original.

I don't trust the man, either, but his technical executions seem pretty well done.

It still would would be the "Internet" in most people's minds.

And a good idea, but not so original.

I don't trust the man, either, but his technical executions seem pretty well done.

Yeah. It'd be like torrenting but instead of having clients and trackers, each client is also a tracker. It's a cloud of devices in theory where everybody carries bits of the network and there are no servers to take down. That presents its own concerns with security and content control. Patching services would be very hard because you can never actually remove anything completely since nothing is central. Everything is immediately legacy.

Reactions: muir
The government will find a way to tax and control the air you breathe if it feels it needs to. Put something in place of or working in conjunction with the Internet. ... its only a matter of time before they decide to do the same thing with it. Its futile.