[INFJ] - almost 25 enfp freaking out over career. change to arts or not? help! | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] almost 25 enfp freaking out over career. change to arts or not? help!

kotachi

Dec 10, 2012
MBTI
enfp
Enneagram
Hello all!! I'm losing sleep over this.. 24 year old almost 25. enfp.

Art has always been a huge passion of mine, but I was scared out of it in high school. My current situation is that I am teaching English abroad part time (around 20 hours). I'm currently trying to study graphic design and illustration in my spare time, along with Spanish (I live in Spain), and right now trying to find some small social media job or volunteer gig so that I might have a chance of employment upon my contract here ending in 8 moths. I have a degree from a prominent university in an unrelated field. I love art, especially illustration, and I also enjoy graphic design. But I can't decide between marketing and graphic design. ... or illustration, but..

I was working in marketing and doing some freelance graphic design/illustration before moving to Europe to teach English. This is my second year teaching. The plan was to enjoy living in another country for a short time and then go back to school for concept art at the concept design academy. However, after a lot of research on the subject, I discovered that concept art was a really difficult a field to break into. I love the idea of it, having such huge sacrifices for an uncertain outcome really scared me.

So, graphic design and illustration seemed like a more practical choice. I did a ton of research on schools and certificate programs, etc, and in Europe and the United States.

I can't take out a billion dollars in loans. The two best options I found was one in Germany which is basically free but I know nothing about and I'm not sure of the quality, and is in Bremen. One in Scotland, which looks really "legit", only charges around $2,000 a year (but I would have to wait until I was 26 to enter, because I would need a 3 year resident requirement in Europe before getting that price), and it is a 4 year program, and a 3 year affordable after work program in the states. They also have a 1-2 year master's program. T

Additionally, in my university town (Los Angeles) they have a 3 year after work graphic design certificate program at a famous art school. The country I live in has really cheap options, but they are of really dubious quality and I can't imagine myself living here for another 3 or 4 years as I do not like the culture.

Basically I'm at a crossroads and I'm feeling really stuck and stressed out about what route to take. My problem is that I love artistic, creative things and feel sad when I'm not doing them, but I also really like working in marketing, strategizing and the idea of having a lot of responsibility in planning the direction of a company or nonprofit, maybe going on business trips, that sort of thing.

And most of all I'm really terrified about the horror stories.

I could basically see myself being happy in both fields, but the downsides seem to be either that I would really regret not having done art, or that I am really poor, work really long hours, and are stressed about no job stability and advancement.

Right now the best plan I've been able to think of is try to get a 9-5 marketing job and try to study graphic design and illustration after work to build a portfolio. But I'm afraid that it might get me "good enough", but then again, at least I would have a roof over my head...

So, my general questions are: 1. Is it possible to get a job which has aspects of a traditional business/marketing job AND graphic design/illustration/creative stuff, outside of entry level or internships? (I've mostly seen advertisements for graphic design and marketing in the same description for interns).

I had an internship at a nonprofit where I did marketing and graphic design/illustration (to draw the graphics), and I really loved it. Something like that would be my ideal job. But I don't know if this sort of combined situation is something that is only found in internships and lowlevel stuff.

2. Is the saying true that "If you can think of anything else you would be happy doing, you shouldn't do art"? Any advice on how to figure this out?

3. Any general advice for people on whether or not to "take the plunge" if they could see themselves being happy either way? I love art but I'm terrified of the idea of terrible working hours and constantly being in and out of work. and/or massive loans which I can't pay.

4. Is it a bad idea to want to find a job in Europe (but a different country because although I speak the language here, I don't like the culture I am in..) because I want to have a lot of vacation time and close proximity to travel, one of my big passions? Also, my infj boyfriend lives in europe? .. I'm the process of getting EU citizenship.

I guess emotionally what has been difficult for me is just accepting that this is probably not going to work out. I graduated in 2012 and I had this big plan about going back to school for art, but at the time I graduated I wasn't entirely sure about it, and now it just feels too late and too risky. Also..another 4 years in school...

Would be really grateful for any input. Been feeling extremely stressed about it

Do more research into the schools that you don't know enough about. Choose the best quality school, not the cheapest. Otherwise just teach yourself. Are you really an enfp, aren't they risk takers? You seem pretty risk adverse. Just something to consider.

ENFPs can be risk averse if there are other outside influences or past experiences that may worry them (We're all just human anyways :p).

Hi [MENTION=6717]kotachi[/MENTION]. Thank you for sharing your story! Ah, the ENFP curse. It makes it especially hard to find a certain career and stick to it when so many ideas run through your head. Honestly, Marketing and Graphic Design can go hand in hand. If I were you, I'd stick it through with at least ONE (So, Marketing or Graphic Design) first, and once you're out there working, you'll be able to pay off the loans and save up for the future, so you'll be able to do a second option. :). It doesn't have to be one or another.

Regarding the LA/Europe programs, I can't really give much input on that, because ultimately that decision is up to you. Personally, if I were you (Being a fellow ENFP), I'd pick the program in Germany AFTER I've settled with a Marketing job. But in the end, it's all up to you!

Question 2: Honestly, follow your heart. I didn't follow mine, and everyday's been a struggle (Especially because school/work for me must be meaningful, if not I feel really empty).

Question 3: Like I said, if it were me I'd go for Marketing, save up, then jump for graphic design. You don't have to do it this way, and if you feel that your heart isn't with that, don't do it.

Question 4: Of course it's not bad that you want to find a job in Europe. Go for it if you want it! You've only got one life.

Best of luck to you!! :)

Follow your artistic passion and if you don't mind starting from an entry level it will still be worth it in the end. Everyone will say you can't make it with art but that is not true. You will regret it if you just follow something others told you to follow because it was a safe route.

I guess in terms of what I WANT right now, honesty, I just want a normal job where I can save money and not be broke and disrespected all the time. I've been poor and stressed out for a long time.

But then I feel the "stress" of "YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL NOW BEFORE YOU GET TOO OLD". But the thing is yeah, I love art, but I dont know if I love it enough to spend four more long years in college again...

I've been calling up some schools but honestly I feel more "bad" towards the idea of art school than I feel about just getting a job. But then I also feel "bad" about the idea of going into marketing and "closing the door" of art. But the idea of spending 4 more years in school feels worse and much more difficult.

1. Is entry level not acceptable? Is it a matter of wage?

2. Hah, yeah. They say that. Some folks can live by that, some can't. Some find the happy medium where they produce art or contribute to creative work. Any big company has a creative services dept. that would fit the bill. Certainly ad agencies.

3. If you're happy either way, look for a good job that pays well. Then, when your savings account is good, go back to school. Nights, weekends, etc.

4. Sounds like you're in Europe no matter what, so go for it.

Don't "not" do something you will regret not doing. A job is great, but people are now working to age 70 and up just to get by. Forty-five years later, what do you want to be doing? Chances are you will think back on this moment. I ask you to give it a lot of thought. Art is a great way to express oneself, but it also is a way to share your talent with others. Why bury your talent?

Don't "not" do something you will regret not doing. A job is great, but people are now working to age 70 and up just to get by. Forty-five years later, what do you want to be doing? Chances are you will think back on this moment. I ask you to give it a lot of thought. Art is a great way to express oneself, but it also is a way to share your talent with others. Why bury your talent?

^ This! Embrace your natural talents and listen to your heart. We all have our natural talents. :) What is your passion? If it's art, then go for it!! ^__^ Of course it's not that simple, but life becomes so much easier when you're doing something what you enjoy to do.

thank you guys... I feel so grateful that there are people on the internet who are willing to lend and ear and some support. it means a lot. thanks again.

Well, it would be intresting to know what your degree is in, that could help open other pathways.

For example, if you got a business or maybe even a liberal arts degree, you might be able to go back to your prominent university (or another) and get a master's degree in Marketing. Funding for graduate school is under a different federal funding program (with different grants and opportunities than undergraduate work). Then to incorporate your desire for illustration and graphic design you can work on some practical, hands-on certifiction of some kind....like Adobe does a series of certifcations for their design suite. The combination of education and the ability to utilize design software will round out your chances of having bankable skills that allow you artistic expression.

However, how easily you can get a Master's Degree in marketing depends of your intial bachelor degree (and academic performance).

I'm not saying that studying in Europe wouldn't be a great opportunity either. I was just pointing out some benefits of doing the Master's work in the states...I think it is like two years? (depends on several other factors)

There's one strategy that comes to mind:

Start it as a hobby on the side, learn to get real good at your craft through books and tutorials. Then learn to market yourself and pick up freelance clients. Keep getting better, self-market, more clients, eventually you will become self-sustainable to leave your current field and job.

It's not the best strategy, but it will save you literally thousands by not spending more on school.

[MENTION=6717]kotachi[/MENTION]

Since you say you are stressed out being poor I would apply for a marketing job you could enjoy for 1 year which would relieve financial pressure and give you breathing space. If you hate it after that go back to college full time. If not stay & do art at evening class.
Is your boyfriend in Spain too or somewhere else in Europe? In my experience mediterranean cultures are quite different from northern European cultures so it might be worth moving north for your job eg UK, scandinavia, Germany etc but staying in Europe for the time being.
Start scanning job adverts in countries you are interested in. Then research the top European art colleges & their day/evening classes. Aim for a job in one of those places so your study option is there should you decide on that route later on.

[MENTION=6717]kotachi[/MENTION]

I'm so sorry, what has made you so uncomfortable in Spain? Maybe the problem is the city you live in. And for you problem you could continue working and study at night. I don't know if you'll find work here since we have a very bad economical situation, although big cities and touristic places you could still have luck and find a job.

how can i put this...how i see it being old enough to be able to say i have life experience.

let art be in your life, in all facets of your life, but do not mix art with the means to obtain a lifestyle. that is a different art altogether...especially in LA, but likely this is true everywhere.
unless you want to live the starving artist lifestyle.

i have a traditional career..i crunch numbers and analyze the results for money. it sounds boring but i do enjoy it and i can find the alchemy of art within those numbers...(of course i would not tell this to my boss) it's a skill i can take anywhere -- like your teaching.

at home, i mix up watercolors and drench the page. no one may ever know i do this, but i do this for me and for the sheer pleasure in doing so. solely for expression and aesthetic enjoyment

...find art in life but don't sell it out and don't bank on it...

At the end of the day, everyone has to work. Even when you pursue a career you love, it will eventually become work. That is, you will have days when its hard and boring and discouraging because of a, b, c or d reasons. Being older and wiser and having struggled with this very question, I can tell you right now that the key to success is determining what kind of lifestyle you want and what type of job will help you a. sustain it, b. work alongside with it. The rest doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, everyone has to work. Even when you pursue a career you love, it will eventually become work. That is, you will have days when its hard and boring and discouraging because of a, b, c or d reasons. Being older and wiser and having struggled with this very question, I can tell you right now that the key to success is determining what kind of lifestyle you want and what type of job will help you a. sustain it, b. work alongside with it. The rest doesn't matter.

couldn't have said it better myself. I'm sure almost all of those who say "do what you want and you'll never work a day in your life" would agree that some days even that is just work. Find out what you like well enough, what you're good at/your skills are suited for, and what can provide you the kind of life[style] you want, and go from there.

couldn't have said it better myself. I'm sure almost all of those who say "do what you want and you'll never work a day in your life" would agree that some days even that is just work. Find out what you like well enough, what you're good at/your skills are suited for, and what can provide you the kind of life[style] you want, and go from there.

Exactly. You gotta marry the practicalities and realities with what you want out of life and to do that, you have to first figure out what is important to you.

For example, say you're the type of person who is perfectly happy leading a low-key lifestyle of hanging out with friends/cooking/playing video games a couple of hours after work. You gotta be honest with yourself and realize you're probably not going to be a good fit for a career that emphasizes a strong corporate culture and demands sixty-hour work weeks. Sure, the pay cheque might be steeper in a career like that and there's social prestige attached to the job title and it gives mom something to brag about on Sunday brunch with her friends... but if those are things that are just 'nice to have' rather than 'very important to me,' it's not going to work out for you.

On the flip side, if it IS very important to you to drive a fancy car, wear fancy clothes and sip on $200 champagne at the clubs every night, you gotta face the reality that you're probably not going to get that lifestyle if you pursue a career as a naturopath or aromatherapist.

Social conditioning has a lot of us reaching beyond our means, thinking we need to be rock stars and doctors and lawyers and CEOs or that we need to own a boat, a mansion and a ranch bungalow in LA somewhere to really 'make it' in our lives, but the reality is, there's no shame in just living within your means as long as you are happy and responsible with what you earn. Hell, I know a lot of people who lead very simple lives and are happy and fulfilled even though, by society's standards, they're just average joes.

You have to be perfectly honest with yourself and what your needs are so you can adjust your expectations and make your career plans accordingly.

And that's all it is.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: hush and rawr
I guess in terms of what I WANT right now, honesty, I just want a normal job where I can save money and not be broke and disrespected all the time. I've been poor and stressed out for a long time.

But then I feel the "stress" of "YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL NOW BEFORE YOU GET TOO OLD". But the thing is yeah, I love art, but I dont know if I love it enough to spend four more long years in college again...

I've been calling up some schools but honestly I feel more "bad" towards the idea of art school than I feel about just getting a job. But then I also feel "bad" about the idea of going into marketing and "closing the door" of art. But the idea of spending 4 more years in school feels worse and much more difficult.

The schooling will broaden the field of art careers, but is not absolutely necessary to gain some entry into the area.

I would personally take some form of night-schooling, while maintaining a regular job; and also try to freelance on the side. Just to see if this hypothetical career is realistic both in terms of the scope of work; and in terms of my own ability/eye/taste.