Acceptance and Transformation of a negative Personality Trait | INFJ Forum

Acceptance and Transformation of a negative Personality Trait

Solongo

Mar 18, 2009
MBTI
INFJ all day
I was inspired by Teal Scott's method and perspective on the acceptance of our innate personality and psychology. Most specifically how we can transform our self judgmental "negative" traits that we always seek to eradicate or numb so we are not influenced negatively by them; but also how to transform those traits to become part of our whole self. The traits and behaviors we find in ourselves to be most disturbing or seeing them as not beneficial for anything creates a loop of self judgement and self hate which is the opposite of self love and acceptance.

For those who are always on the quest for more self acceptance and self knowledge; I encourage them to watch this video.
Once you are finished watching and I am sure you will be inspired to look at at least few "flaws" within yourselves. Take that negative trait that bothers you the most and transmute it into a positive trait by changing it's function in it's higher purpose.

If you feel brave enough; please contribute your transformation below.

[video=youtube;ZqB8aVpCwLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqB8aVpCwLE[/video]

Apologies, but I cannot watch self-help videos without wanting to destroy something.

So, without having watched it:

Personality traits only seem negative when they cause conflict for the individual who bears them.
Conflict arises when there is contradiction, opposition, or obstruction in functioning.
Of all operations which one can change, conscious goals/ambitions/aversions seem the easiest to actually change, requiring mere decision and detachment.
However, the principal obstacle to changing one's plans/decisions is pride: either in admitting mistaken, conflicting goals; or in accepting a less exalted objective/means.
This being said, it seems to me the principal trait, which is responsible for most negativity in our lives is pride; and the best trait in terms of achieving peace is its contrary, humility.

Apologies, but I cannot watch self-help videos without wanting to destroy something.

So, without having watched it:

Personality traits only seem negative when they cause conflict for the individual who bears them.
Conflict arises when there is contradiction, opposition, or obstruction in functioning.
Of all operations which one can change, conscious goals/ambitions/aversions seem the easiest to actually change, requiring mere decision and detachment.
However, the principal obstacle to changing one's plans/decisions is pride: either in admitting mistaken, conflicting goals; or in accepting a less exalted objective/means.
This being said, it seems to me the principal trait, which is responsible for most negativity in our lives is pride; and the best trait in terms of achieving peace is its contrary, humility.

Your need to destroy something without having to have experienced it yourself or judge it without personal experience of the subject is a classic definition of a closed mind. So having said that; this brings out the judgemental part of my self as well; further creating a loop of judgement and criticism without actually accomplishing anything except the need to defend my views which I won't.

I would ask though ; if you do not believe or follow any self help teachings than why are you commenting on a self help thread? What do you get out of it by "destroying" others ideas and views?

Reactions: muir
Your need to destroy something without having to have experienced it yourself or judge it without personal experience of the subject is a classic definition of a closed mind. So having said that; this brings out the judgemental part of my self as well; further creating a loop of judgement and criticism without actually accomplishing anything except the need to defend my views which I won't.

I would ask though ; if you do not believe or follow any self help teachings than why are you commenting on a self help thread? What do you get out of it by "destroying" others ideas and views?

My having an aversion to self-help videos destroys your mental world?

That notion sounds crazy.

Q: When you post something on a public forum, is it balanced and reasonable to expect everyone to have the same viewpoint as yourself?

In any case, I have neither attacked you, nor the self-help paradigm you had proposed. You, however, have gotten personal.

I think the view point I expressed was entirely on topic - that if one is to "transmute" it needs be on the conscious intellectual level. If you do not agree with that, I would be interested why. I am interested in alternative views - just not as expounded through the medium of motivational videos.

My having an aversion to self-help videos destroys your mental world?

That notion sounds crazy.

Q: When you post something on a public forum, is it balanced and reasonable to expect everyone to have the same viewpoint as yourself?

In any case, I have neither attacked you, nor the self-help paradigm you had proposed. You, however, have gotten personal.

I think the view point I expressed was entirely on topic - that if one is to "transmute" it needs be on the conscious intellectual level. If you do not agree with that, I would be interested why. I am interested in alternative views - just not as expounded through the medium of motivational videos.

Destroying others ideas and views is not the same as destroying their mental world. Not sure where you got that extreme assumption from. I was just commenting on your own need to "destroy" other's ideas and views without considering them.

Your view point is not on the topic as the topic requirs you to watch and digest the information presented in the video. To spew your own ideas and views without having to have considered the others viewpoint is like having a conversation with yourself only; that you are only interested in presenting your own views yet you say you are interested in alternative view point.

If you are interested in alternative viewpoint than you would have watched the video as it is obviously different from your viewpoint. You cannot go into a situation that requires certain knowledge and just throw your ideas in there while at the same time admitting that you are "destroying" other's views without any consideration for them and call it "alternative view".

Public forum has nothing to do with views expressed here. There are so many topics to choose from and participate on this forum; yet people usually choose to participate on the forums that interest them or topics that catch their attention. I was questioning why you choose to participate on a topic that you refuse to view the content information and offer your opinion when you have not considered what is presented here. it's like going to a presentation about a certain topic and not watch the presentation but insist at the end that you have an opinion on it. It just does not relate.

Destroying others ideas and views is not the same as destroying their mental world. Not sure where you got that extreme assumption from. I was just commenting on your own need to "destroy" other's ideas and views without considering them.

Your view point is not on the topic as the topic requirs you to watch and digest the information presented in the video. To spew your own ideas and views without having to have considered the others viewpoint is like having a conversation with yourself only; that you are only interested in presenting your own views yet you say you are interested in alternative view point.

If you are interested in alternative viewpoint than you would have watched the video as it is obviously different from your viewpoint. You cannot go into a situation that requires certain knowledge and just throw your ideas in there while at the same time admitting that you are "destroying" other's views without any consideration for them and call it "alternative view".

Public forum has nothing to do with views expressed here. There are so many topics to choose from and participate on this forum; yet people usually choose to participate on the forums that interest them or topics that catch their attention. I was questioning why you choose to participate on a topic that you refuse to view the content information and offer your opinion when you have not considered what is presented here. it's like going to a presentation about a certain topic and not watch the presentation but insist at the end that you have an opinion on it. It just does not relate.

I don't think your assertions about the effect of my posts on your views holds any water.