A Rant On MBTI and Mental Illness

minuteman

Two
Nov 3, 2010
MBTI
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
I'd like to mention beforehand that I have been medically diagnosed by a psychiatrist with mental disorders. From what I understand about MBTI and from browsing most of the forums (mostly T-centered or general MBTI), the mentally unstable are considered broken or unable to be typed. As a result, I am rather resentful towards being ostracized but I want to understand your definition of the words "broken" and "unhealthy".

From what I understand, people tend to have preferences towards certain habits and this is what the test attempts to designate. In some moods I do my best to consider my perception of interpersonal relations and harmony (Fi or Fe). In other moods I completely neglect them and rely solely on (over)analysis(Ti or Te). When I act on impulse it generally results in negative consequences (Se?) but I am somewhat adept at using guidelines (Si). The problem is that I know for sure I do not have a particular preference for any function. Early in my teens, I was typed as INFJ, and in my early adulthood I have been typed as INTP. I have also taken the free online tests and the results seem to fall towards whatever type I want to be at the time.

I understand that an assessment created in the 1930s based on the journals of a brilliant, but clearly insane psychologist, distributed by HR to companies as a way to better understand how employees interact in an organization, and later reproduced on the internet as a pseudoscientific alternative to horoscopes may not be the best starting point to understand reality. Nonetheless, I was involved with someone who was interested in the assessment (ENFP), and I have done the assessment twice so I assume it would be the best place to start.

Thank you in advance.

the mentally unstable are considered broken or unable to be typed.
I believe you've misunderstood.

People afflicted with mental illness are not unable to be typed, or considered broken, but they are very difficult to type accurately with traditional examining methods which are usually practiced, because their ailment distorts how they would be perceived.

A very common example I see recurring are Extroverts who have some sort of social anxiety disorder which makes others and themselves see them as Introverts.
An individual may suffer from OCD and be a Perceiver, yet appear rigid in demeanor enough to be confused for a Judger.
A person with Aspergers or SPD may appear to be a Thinker, but actually be a Feeler.

I could list plenty examples.

Anyway, if you're still bent on typing yourself, you may want to check out this site: http://podlairproductions.com

They claim to be able to type you accurately just by seeing a video of you, regardless of any other factors, however they use a theoretical frame that differed from standard MBTI, but is still founded on Jungian cognitive processes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
I'd like to mention beforehand that I have been medically diagnosed by a psychiatrist with mental disorders. From what I understand about MBTI and from browsing most of the forums (mostly T-centered or general MBTI), the mentally unstable are considered broken or unable to be typed.

Join the club, I went from ENFP to ENTP to INTP. It seems that the mentally troubled don't have an easy ride with the MBTI theory. The trick is not to take it too seriously, its only a rough guide and tool for helping people understand how different people's personalities work. As Peppermint said, mental illnesses can disguise different personality attributes.

All you can do is answer the questions as truthfully as you can on the tests and read up on the description of each type.

Join the club, I went from ENFP to ENTP to INTP. It seems that the mentally troubled don't have an easy ride with the MBTI theory. The trick is not to take it too seriously, its only a rough guide and tool for helping people understand how different people's personalities work. As Peppermint said, mental illnesses can disguise different personality attributes.

All you can do is answer the questions as truthfully as you can on the tests and read up on the description of each type.

You're correct. After I made that post I actually had an awakening of sorts. Now I'm actually starting to like this hippie crap.

Thanks for your help everyone!