A Question of Suggestion; Mind Digestion. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

A Question of Suggestion; Mind Digestion.

Maybe I (as God) could make those bodies equipped to survive and create special spaces to mitigate for the risk of overpopulation. I don't know, I'm just cerebrating possibilities. These possibilities are technically unlimited since I am omnipotent. I could technically and systematically mitigate for any potential disruption that may arise out of changing one cog in the system.
You are seeing this way too narrow. You want to endow humans with special abilities they can achieve of their own if they want to. Messing with this, as it is now in its complexity, you'd more likely make things worse. If you simply gave them knowledge they wouldn't learn from it. They'd stop to think (as most already have), stop being creative, and simply do the things they do because they've always done it. How would that make the human species better?

Well, people would continue to die, except not by murder. I could also make it so that nobody ever dies in car accidents anymore. Do you think this may bring about major disruptions in the system?
Yes.

I wouldn't say smarter or more inclined to follow a particular educational route, but rather: endowed with more clear-sightedness when making a judgement upon a given situation in order to make a choice/ set of choices. But I could also make humans more respectful of non-human species. I could make them more ethical (though I agree that we'd have to define in what way), more altruistic, etc.
Where does the knowledge come from that you want to give them? How do they learn it now?

Of course I would in a certain sense "mess with the system as it is". It's true that, given the realisation that I am an omnipotent deity, I could also decide to do nothing, and leave things as they are. But why not consider "messing with the system" if it can improve the condition of beings and if the right checks and balances can be devised? Why not turn our world into something close to a Utopia that still preserves free will? Do you think this would inevitably imply changing the very essence of who we are as beings, making the whole undertaking of "improving the condition of beings" meaningless? Or do you think some changes can be made that would not result in essential change?
To be a deity you have to think like a deity. You think like a human being, only thinking about itself and propagating its species. Do you really want to go back to the Utopia debate? Free will will always topple the system, any system, when its time has come.

What do you think happens in the long run when you only propagate the human race? To everything else, I mean?

Reactions: Fidicen
@Ginny I don't really get the feeling you addressed my points. Also, just to be clear: I'm only entertaining these possibilities, not normatively subscribing to them. I'm actually more interested in how they can be taken apart.

To be a deity you have to think like a deity.

This is a sophism since you don't know either what it is like to think like a deity. Keep in mind that it is logically impossible not to think like a human being when you're a human being. This is another reason why the OP is presenting us with an impossible task, really. I think the only way we can answer it is by taking it as meaning: "If as a human you suddenly realised you had the power to change anything in the world, what would you do?" and taking God not as the divine entity called God, but as an abstract label simply meant to refer to "a human being endowed with the power to change anything in the world".

Otherwise I suspect we will keep misunderstanding each other.

Do you really want to go back to the Utopia debate?

I would see this debate as slightly different. The former debate asked whether Utopia was possible to achieve. This debate would rather ask: "If you could achieve it, would you do it?" I feel like the first asks a metaphysical and epistemological question, while the second asks an ethical question. Though it's agreed that once again we'd have to find common ground about a definition of Utopia, which would be a pain :p

Last edited:
@Ginny I don't really get the feeling you addressed my points. Also, just to be clear: I'm only entertaining these possibilities, not normatively subscribing to them. I'm actually more interested in how they can be taken apart.
And I am not interested in taking apart every tiny thing, just because you will not see them in a bigger context. Because it is the context itself that takes each of your arguments apart. You want to go into more detail with single details, when you should be seeing every detail as one and every detail at once. (read * later for proper context)

This is a sophism since you don't know either what it is like to think like a deity. Keep in mind that it is logically impossible not to think like a human being when you're a human being. This is another reason why the OP is presenting us with an impossible task, really. I think the only way we can answer it is by taking it as meaning: "If as a human you suddenly realised you had the power to change anything in the world, what would you do?" and taking God not as the divine entity called God, but as an abstract label simply meant to refer to "a human being endowed with the power to change anything in the world".
However, as a human being, I could imagine the weight of being a deity, even if I cannot fathom the enormous infinite of this form of consciousness. I can imagine living thousands of years, just like I can imagine the fabric of reality. Impossibility is only what you impose on yourself. Just imagine the "unthinkable." The premise remains the same as the one I stated in the beginning, and it is absolute. This was before the OP redefined the terms of the argument, which you brought into this debate when it isn't even necessarily a subject of discussion.
With the realisation of Godness comes God's power, and with that, a surpassing of the human existence due to remembering everything. Do you really think that we should limit ourselves (as God) to a being that only cared about the human existence more than any other? It's what you're asking me to do, the way you phrase your every possibility. And I won't lower my level of thinking to a subglobal one in such a context. Not even as a human being.

By the way, you didn't even answer my questions just now when I was taking your bits apart while also trying to get you to see the details in the context of everything. :frowning:
*A different style of thinking doesn't mean I don't adress your points. But if I did, which are the ones I didn't adress? How would you like me to adress them?

I should add that, God being perfect, he shouldn't have to act in any way to change anything.
To be a deity you have to think like a deity.
Presuming God existed before my realization, once I actually know I am God, my thinking would be transformed to see the proper or the perfect mode of action, which would be inaction. Or if the universe currently needs adjusting, then I would keep adjusting it the way it currently happens. If I was a perfect, omniscient, omnipresent being, the divine way of thinking would entail nothing that currently isn't taken into account, so there really isn't room for change, is there?

Calm down.

I should add that, God being perfect, he shouldn't have to act in any way to change anything. This would only result in an admission that he was not so perfect after all. But we have already established that the God of the OP cannot be quite perfect. So maybe that imperfect God could opt to change things without thereby contradicting its own nature.

I'm taking it as a given that God exists here for the sake of the discussion .....

It was easy for me to give this question a flippant comment, but I find it much harder to contribute to the very compelling ultimate questions that suck us in if we let them. For instance, how can we possibly judge a God who is omniscient and all powerful - there is no ethical framework that can exist outside him, and any attempt on our part to judge him and find him wanting is intrinsically a fault in us, by definition. The created cannot transcend this sort of God in any way. If he isn't all powerful and omniscient of course, then we can all have fun we like with some Gnostic metaphysics and some god blaming, but that's another story.

One of the problems to get a grasp of is why bad things happen, to put it crudely, and I've never found a drop dead answer to that. One of the difficulties I have in trying to get at it is that God doesn't exist in time and space like we do. His perception of our world must be of a completed "object" in (at least) 4-dimensional space-time. He can simultaneously see its whole history from beginning to end - including each of us from the beginning to end of our lives, and those of our ancestors and our descendants as well. I find it so hard to figure out whether some tragic event that happens in the world about me is relatively good or bad because I can't see all it's implications - He can. It may be that a current tragedy in the Middle East is outweighed by the birth of 15,000,000 people in 1500 years time on the other side of the world (or even on a colony 25 light years away after all that tim) who wouldn't have existed otherwise. How could I possibly see the world from this perspective.

You can see some previous major fulcrum points throughout history that have had effects down the ages just like this - it's very likely that none of us alive today would have been born at all if Constantine hadn't won when he fought for the Roman Empire in 4C and adopted Christianity as the means of controlling his people. The history of England would have been very different, and again a different set of people would be alive today, if Richard III had won at Bosworth, and the English Protestant Reformation had not taken place in the way it did. There will be millions of events like this that we will never know about down the ages that have had this sort of profound effect. I think you would have to stand outside, like God, and see the whole thing to begin to grasp the context of what is really going on within each generation's own time frame.

I know that this perspective raises the free will question. I don't have an answer to that - personally I don't think it is incompatible, though it may raise all sorts of questions about what is really happening as we travel our own world lines.

There is still the question of whether the world could have been set up in some other way, more gentle and kind. All I can say to that is - a lot of time and trouble has been taken to get to the point of our own personal existence. The Big Bang, the billions of years of stellar evolution, the cooking of the heavier elements in first generation stars, the billions of years of slow evolution on the earth, the expansion of the Universe to well over 20 Billion light years (probably a lot more) etc. Perhaps, even for an all-powerful God, we are not an easy thing to bring into existence without defeating the very reason He had for creating us, whatever it may be.

Reactions: Ginny and Ren
Bench press a lot.

Reactions: Reason
I'm taking it as a given that God exists here for the sake of the discussion .....

It was easy for me to give this question a flippant comment, but I find it much harder to contribute to the very compelling ultimate questions that suck us in if we let them. For instance, how can we possibly judge a God who is omniscient and all powerful - there is no ethical framework that can exist outside him, and any attempt on our part to judge him and find him wanting is intrinsically a fault in us, by definition. The created cannot transcend this sort of God in any way. If he isn't all powerful and omniscient of course, then we can all have fun we like with some Gnostic metaphysics and some god blaming, but that's another story.

One of the problems to get a grasp of is why bad things happen, to put it crudely, and I've never found a drop dead answer to that. One of the difficulties I have in trying to get at it is that God doesn't exist in time and space like we do. His perception of our world must be of a completed "object" in (at least) 4-dimensional space-time. He can simultaneously see its whole history from beginning to end - including each of us from the beginning to end of our lives, and those of our ancestors and our descendants as well. I find it so hard to figure out whether some tragic event that happens in the world about me is relatively good or bad because I can't see all it's implications - He can. It may be that a current tragedy in the Middle East is outweighed by the birth of 15,000,000 people in 1500 years time on the other side of the world (or even on a colony 25 light years away after all that tim) who wouldn't have existed otherwise. How could I possibly see the world from this perspective.

You can see some previous major fulcrum points throughout history that have had effects down the ages just like this - it's very likely that none of us alive today would have been born at all if Constantine hadn't won when he fought for the Roman Empire in 4C and adopted Christianity as the means of controlling his people. The history of England would have been very different, and again a different set of people would be alive today, if Richard III had won at Bosworth, and the English Protestant Reformation had not taken place in the way it did. There will be millions of events like this that we will never know about down the ages that have had this sort of profound effect. I think you would have to stand outside, like God, and see the whole thing to begin to grasp the context of what is really going on within each generation's own time frame.

I know that this perspective raises the free will question. I don't have an answer to that - personally I don't think it is incompatible, though it may raise all sorts of questions about what is really happening as we travel our own world lines.

There is still the question of whether the world could have been set up in some other way, more gentle and kind. All I can say to that is - a lot of time and trouble has been taken to get to the point of our own personal existence. The Big Bang, the billions of years of stellar evolution, the cooking of the heavier elements in first generation stars, the billions of years of slow evolution on the earth, the expansion of the Universe to well over 20 Billion light years (probably a lot more) etc. Perhaps, even for an all-powerful God, we are not an easy thing to bring into existence without defeating the very reason He had for creating us, whatever it may be.
Thank you for saying better (and taking further) what I have said before.

I genuinely mean it, and not passive-aggressively, should anyone think that way.

Reactions: John K
Lol, this is the least effective way to acheive this. If I hadn't done that already, it would only have made me more angry.

Not sure how to answer this, because most answers I can think of would create a conflict. If a simple suggestion to calm down can make you angrier, I think it would be a good idea to think about why you have such extreme reactions and what is their function. It is not the only way. And if this suggestion makes you angry, there's even more food for thought.

Reactions: Ren and Ginny
v15gZt7.gif

Reactions: John K and Ren
Not sure how to answer this, because most answers I can think of would create a conflict. If a simple suggestion to calm down can make you angrier, I think it would be a good idea to think about why you have such extreme reactions and what is their function. It is not the only way. And if this suggestion makes you angry, there's even more food for thought.
Emotions come and go quickly if I don't hold on to them. I wasn't really angry yet (I know where my anger stems from btw), but it is easily misread as such, so I can understand this. And it's not a simple suggestion to tell someone to calm down. It's easily made, but telling an angry person to calm down, or any directive actually, produces a knee-jerk reaction in the undesired direction.
I suppose you don't have much experience with angry people?

And I am not interested in taking apart every tiny thing, just because you will not see them in a bigger context. Because it is the context itself that takes each of your arguments apart. You want to go into more detail with single details, when you should be seeing every detail as one and every detail at once. (read * later for proper context)

However, as a human being, I could imagine the weight of being a deity, even if I cannot fathom the enormous infinite of this form of consciousness. I can imagine living thousands of years, just like I can imagine the fabric of reality. Impossibility is only what you impose on yourself. Just imagine the "unthinkable." The premise remains the same as the one I stated in the beginning, and it is absolute. This was before the OP redefined the terms of the argument, which you brought into this debate when it isn't even necessarily a subject of discussion.
With the realisation of Godness comes God's power, and with that, a surpassing of the human existence due to remembering everything. Do you really think that we should limit ourselves (as God) to a being that only cared about the human existence more than any other? It's what you're asking me to do, the way you phrase your every possibility. And I won't lower my level of thinking to a subglobal one in such a context. Not even as a human being.

By the way, you didn't even answer my questions just now when I was taking your bits apart while also trying to get you to see the details in the context of everything. :frowning:
*A different style of thinking doesn't mean I don't adress your points. But if I did, which are the ones I didn't adress? How would you like me to adress them?

I'm sorry Ginny, but your claims are too big and too sweeping for how little you back them up and for how many logical and substantial inaccuracies you commit. You get so aggressive and so quickly. I don't even understand why. It feels like you're getting too emotional about this, for reasons I don't understand, and that doesn't exactly make me want to pursue the debate any longer.

However, since you prodded me to the point of irritation, I will address your confusing points one by one just this one time.

You are seeing this way too narrow. You want to endow humans with special abilities they can achieve of their own if they want to. Messing with this, as it is now in its complexity, you'd more likely make things worse. If you simply gave them knowledge they wouldn't learn from it. They'd stop to think (as most already have), stop being creative, and simply do the things they do because they've always done it. How would that make the human species better?

You should seriously consider quitting saying things like « you are seeing this too narrow » or « you're not taking into account the bigger context » when you're engaged in a philosophical discussion. It's just not a serious point to make. Always assume that the person might have actually taken the bigger context into consideration, and then proceed from there. Don't begin by assuming people are dumb, this is not the right approach in philosophy.

You're saying I see things narrowly because I limit my view to humans, but this isn't even true. I initially suggested examples pertaining to humans, but nowhere did I say that I would limit myself to that or even apply those examples. I only meant to start a discussion. You're making the mistake of assuming that when someone puts something forward, they necessarily subscribe to it. Let me quote myself to make things crystal clear.

Of course I would in a certain sense "mess with the system as it is". It's true that, given the realisation that I am an omnipotent deity, I could also decide to do nothing, and leave things as they are. But why not consider "messing with the system" if it can improve the condition of beings and if the right checks and balances can be devised? Why not turn our world into something close to a Utopia that still preserves free will? Do you think this would inevitably imply changing the very essence of who we are as beings, making the whole undertaking of "improving the condition of beings" meaningless? Or do you think some changes can be made that would not result in essential change?

I spoke here of beings in general, not human beings only. And I do get that changing one aspect of a system could endanger the functioning of the whole system – I took that into account, mind you. Again, please stop assuming people are stupid, it's very irritating. My point was this: if, as God, I have the attribute of omnipotence, it's a worthy question to ask whether I could not at one and the same time change one aspect of the system while preserving its equilibrium. Do you see what I mean? This was one of the fundamental questions I was wondering about! And I'm not even subscribing to this, I'm saying it's a worthy question to ask and discuss, nothing else. And it is a very big-picture question, which you didn't pick up on.

Well, people would continue to die, except not by murder. I could also make it so that nobody ever dies in car accidents anymore. Do you think this may bring about major disruptions in the system?

You see, you answer a mere « Yes » to what should have warranted a quite detailed response in view of the sweep and ferociousness of what you argued in the beginning. Don't just say yes. Explain why making murder impossible would create a disruption in the system. It would be interesting to hear your viewpoint on this. I'm not opposed to you convincing me, but I must admit that prima facie, I see no compelling argument in favour of not making murder impossible. So please detail your position if you want to have a real discussion on this. You don't come across at all like you want to discuss things. Even if you were to find a certain point of view abhorrent, you should still be open to discussion. Because you don't know if you're right.

To be a deity you have to think like a deity. You think like a human being, only thinking about itself and propagating its species. Do you really want to go back to the Utopia debate? Free will will always topple the system, any system, when its time has come.

This is a mere affirmation that has no value until you've actually laid out why. And I'm highly interested in the why, actually. I long to be edified by other people's points of view – but don't just affirm something that's not self-evident as if it were self-evident. Prophecies don't have the same weight as neatly laid out arguments that offer the other party the chance to counter them.

And I am not interested in taking apart every tiny thing, just because you will not see them in a bigger context. Because it is the context itself that takes each of your arguments apart. You want to go into more detail with single details, when you should be seeing every detail as one and every detail at once.

Besides finding the idea of « not being interested » very unphilosophical and borderline disrespectful when thus far I had been so polite, I must reiterate that what you're saying isn't true. There is not even any attempt at showing anything. And if I were you, I would consider changing my perspective on « single details ». The devil is in the details. Sure, the big picture is important, but if you want to make a difference you need to pay extreme attention to the details. They are what makes your view consistent. And there is nothing more difficult than making a big picture view consistent. You need the details for that. Don't despise them. As long as you despise them, I'm sorry to say that you are being philosophically immature.

I will stop here because I feel like I've made my point. I think you should do more work on these actual topics instead of sounding dismissive and arrogant about what people who've spent a lot of time thinking about these topics, and who have been nice to you, suggest as mere hypotheses. The tone you employ in these debates suggests more insecurity and ignorance than they suggest respect and a genuine desire to learn from other people.

Last edited:
And it's not a simple suggestion to tell someone to calm down. It's easily made, but telling an angry person to calm down, or any directive actually, produces a knee-jerk reaction in the undesired direction.

That depends on the person actually. As I said, it's not the only way to react. The words can also be said aloud in a number of ways. On the internet you don't hear my tone of voice, so there are more interpretations possible than if we were speaking. For example, you could have thought "Calm down" only meant that I thought the discussion was getting too heated for a question that to me isn't that serious. Instead, you chose to interpret it as a command.

I suppose you don't have much experience with angry people?
This, along with
Lol, this is the least effective way to acheive this.

gives me the impression that you're not calm after all. You mentioned passive-aggressiveness, and this kind of belittling seems to me a good example of it. It almost seems like a bait asking me to react negatively. That's why I feel like I should drop the whole issue since reacting to something like this would serve no purpose and prove nothing.

@latch great thread.
That depends on the person actually. As I said, it's not the only way to react. The words can also be said aloud in a number of ways. On the internet you don't hear my tone of voice, so there are more interpretations possible than if we were speaking. For example, you could have thought "Calm down" only meant that I thought the discussion was getting too heated for a question that to me isn't that serious. Instead, you chose to interpret it as a command.
Perhaps vocaroo would be helpful in these situations. Say I get very incensed with something you’ve said to me because I couldn’t hear your tone of voice, but if you recorded your reply I would hear that you were being very pleasant. Or you could just record yourself singing a song. :tonguewink:

Reactions: Ren and Fidicen
Thanx. You guys are doing way better with this than those accursed (insert other personality type here)

I want to add my thoughts but real life is getting in the way right now..
It’s those pesky feelings. :tonguewink:

Reactions: Ren
Thanx. You guys are doing way better with this than those accursed (insert other personality type here)
You can say it out loud. We all know you're talking about INTJs. :p

Whatcha been up to? Are you a potato?
I'm always up to a lot. I did thirty thousand words of journaling and some other things. If I am a potato then I love myself oh so much. I will rub my moobs with the potatoes which are also me. I must go find a potato to kiss 7 times 70 times. or a mirror, I guess. My druthers desireth an potato. A purple one.

You? Are you really in KS? I used to live there. Topeka. I went to West Indianola for grade school and Logan for Junior High. I lived on NW 37th Terr. We had a pond in our back yard were I used to swim in the summers.

Reactions: Happy Phantom