A fork in the road

Matariki

Donor
Sep 30, 2009
MBTI
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Its coming up to the end of the year and I am here contemplating my future and planning my next move.

This year was my break. After the events of last year, I felt that I needed to spend this year focusing on my mental health as well as my psychical health and getting back into what I enjoyed doing.

I know what I love doing, its just the matter of whether I would be able to make it into the art and film industry or not. The art industry receives a heavy bashing here in New Zealand, and there isn't much of a demand for it, which brings me to my fork on the road. My other passion is food science, in a country where obesity has become an epidemic, I realize that this would be is a huge potential for me to become a dietitian.
However my nightmare would be for me to abandon my dreams, to me it would be the same as death. My dream is to become a film director, however pursuing science will guarantee that I have a strong finical foundation to work on.

My father and mother want me to gain my BOS (bachelor in science).
I want to do art. However I failed at art school two years in a row, its only recently that I found that there was a serious flaw in the way how art is taught in academics, that's way I have decided to not continue my tertiary studies.

Teachers expect quantity over quality. Art has its roots in emotion, science has its roots in logic. Academics and art do not go hand in hand together, one of the main reasons why artists attend university is to learn how to improve their technique, exhibit and being noticed by people in the art industry. Its more about learning rather than gaining a piece of paper, the pressure and time restrictions of assignments is ridiculous. The art industry relies on port folio work over qualifications. Getting into the industry is like entering a war zone and the pay sucks.

New Zealand needs medical practitioners and the salary in one of the highest in the country (starting at $48,000 a year). However I don't want this to hamper my dreams of becoming a film director, I want to use it as a finical foundation until I break my way through. I never attended school during my teens so I don't have a solid, basic, source of knowledge in science. This will have to be learnt through doing my tertiary education.

Being a medical practitioner is almost a complete polar opposite of being a film director, but its better than being a bum living off benefits. I know of other film directors that worked in medicine before film. How they did it? I have no idea.

My mother wants me to forget about art, my father wants me to keep working hard until I find my lucky break. I'm confused, and worried that I don't have enough knowledge or brains to pass the papers ahead and up failing again. :mpff:

Whew...this is a tough one for sure.
When I went to college I wanted to be a psychologist. My father told me I wouldn't be able to get a job - and even if I did - I wouldn't get paid much. So - I steered myself into chemical engineering as I loved science.
Turned out I hated engineering though and even though I graduated and obtained employment I was miserable. I would have excelled if they let the engineers actually work hands on in the refineries where I was employed. But - they wanted us to become managers - and well - I hated that idea. Sitting in a cubicle all day processing numbers was not for me.
So - I ended up quitting and wasted a perfectly good degree - monetarily that is. Although - My training as an engineer was invaluable throughout my life and I don't know if I would do things differently...

Thing is - what is in front of you now might not be there in 5 years when you graduate. There are no guarantees these days for almost anything related to employment. Back then - when there were no opportunities for a psychologist - was reversed in time and if I had gone that route - I would be set today - doing what I'm naturally good at.

I was just researching the possibility of providing counselling on line. A few years ago that would have never occurred to me. Now I see it's offered a great deal.

If you want to be a film director - do you have to get a degree in Art to be one?

What if you could be a medical practioner that films education films on wellness and preventing diseases? With more and more people turning to visual media to learn, I can see that industry expanding. Also - isn't the digital equipment necessary to film getting cheaper and cheaper?

Perhaps you start back to school in this medical field and see how it goes while keeping your radar tuned to the filming industry?

When I was in college - even though I was primarily in the sciences and maths - I volunteered to be on The Stage Committe and we put on concerts at the University with some big name bands. I loved it! You could always do something like that to keep in touch with what you love and to learn what's happening in the industry.

I don't think if you pursued the medical career you would necessarily be abandoning your dream of being an art director. You are very young and have plenty of time to change careers again and again if you wish. Ultimately we are never locked into a role except by our own making.

Hell - at 53 I went back to school for the first time in over 30 years and completely changed my career from accounting to a social services profession. Yeh - I went from manipulating numbers to listening and loving people. I'm at peace...

I agree with the advice [MENTION=2578]K-gal[/MENTION] gave you, and I'm also offering my own thoughts: You could still do both. Documentary style filmmaking is another lucrative idea and you could do an interview-type style or narrative style, ala Morgan Spurlock. You can become a nutritionist, come up with an award winning plan, and then document your progress/your ideas via film.

Nothing is impossible...but if you have several loves, try seeing where you can fulfill as many of your dreams as you can in one fell swoop. Sometimes you have to get creative, but dreams don't die. They just stay dormant until we're able to put it all together and we can make them work for us.

You could put an ad in the paper requesting an arts patronage. ;)

Seriously, I also abandoned out of fear and feelings of practicality the career I was really interested in to get a degree in something in demand and practical. I abandoned it as soon as I had the excuse (in my case, children to take care of). Life has forced me back into the paid employment world and I've realized that while there are pleasures for me in this field, they are few-as are my skills. So, now in my 40's I'm switching gears toward the career abandoned years ago.

So, does that mean I think you should do what you love even if it's unpractical and possibly highly unlikely to earn you a living? No. I'm idealistic, but I'm also practical. I don't know where the balance is, but I do know in this world, not having a degree qualifying you to perform an in-demand job means you're setting yourself up for a very difficult road as it concerns supporting yourself. I was only kind of joking about the arts patronage. I'd love to see you follow your dreams, despite likely lack of ability to support yourself with them, but only if you have someone who is willing to support you. I think this world sucks that creating art cannot be an artistic person's primary source of support, but usually that is not the case. The world may suck, but it is the one we live in.

I am avoiding telling you what I really think because I wish I didn't have to say it. I think you'll have to compromise if you don't have some other source of support. Maybe you can pick a more lucrative avenue within film-making as was suggested. Maybe you can pursue a degree and paid work in a more in-demand field you still have some interest in and pursue film-making in your spare time. Neither of these are ideal, but I know what it is to fear for financial security. I think the starving artist ideal is a lot prettier than the reality and I wouldn't advise anyone to walk willingly into that reality unless I picked up the vibe that they were otherworldly enough not to care about material comforts (or needs). The fact that you posted your question tells me you have enough concerns to make the starving artist life hell for you. It kills me to say this because I'd so much rather say, "go for your dreams and everything will work out". Instead I'll say, really explore and take apart your dreams. Can you find that place within your dream that intersects with what would also provide you a living? I will give you one caveat there though. In any grey areas of that exploration, give precedence to the dream. The world changes and what it wants changes. Your dreams probably will not.

I for one think grades and qualifications in art is completely backwards. If you have the talent you should be able to get a job. Unfortunately the world doesn't agree and majorly talented artists get snubbed for not attending some college or w/e.

Anyway you say you're also interested in film. Have you considered media studies, photography, animation?

Sorry for creating new forks.

You should just do what you want to do. Forget about money, just go for happiness.

Wow, I amazed by the posts that being written in response.
I just wanted to say that I am reading and taking everyone's posts into consideration. Although I may not have a clear understanding on how the medical/science industry will contribute to my passion in the arts besides offering a finical foundation. I am searching for the positives on ways how it can broaden my understanding on things and the art world.