A College Major Crisis | INFJ Forum

A College Major Crisis

Feb 22, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Hi! So I'm in my freshman year of college and am currently having a conflict in my choice of majors. First, some background info: I've always been a math and science kind of girl, although I was never exactly bad in any subject; in high school, I just tended to gravitate towards the maths and sciences because I liked the challenge. Now, just for a better perspective, people have always considered me "the smart girl." I was my high school's valedictorian, and both of my parents are doctors (a lot of pressure!). So I started off college majoring in chemistry with a concentration in premed, thinking I might go the doctor route (although I had some doubts). Well, my parents actually managed to talk me OUT of that (I know, ironic!) because of unpredictability in healthcare these days, how difficult it would be to raise a family, etc. So I changed my concentration from premed to biochemistry (still a major in chemistry), thinking I could maybe do research. Well, now I'm starting to realize that I just am not that interested in chemistry, period. I want a job that will work directly with people, I'm now discovering. I'm obviously an INFJ (although close to an INTJ). I took a psychology course in high school and loved it and am currently taking psychology 101 as an elective, which I'm also enjoying. I'm considering switching my major to psychology, but my mom has very strongly discouraged it in the past (I think it's just because she doesn't like psychologists...). So, here I am, stuck in chemistry, which I don't think I'm going to truly enjoy, and wondering if psychology might be my calling. So all you who have actually read this whole thing... any suggestions for a girl desperate only for happiness? Words of advice?

Reactions: endersgone
Well, if you're a freshman, then you do have some time to inquire about other options. Take some time to visit with the faculty in some of the departments that you're interested in. Parents will sometimes encourage you or discourage you for the wrong reasons, even though it's because they genuinely care about you. So yeah, talk to other faculty and see what they have to say about the options that you may have in a given field of interest to you. /generic advice

Pick a major that has open jobs or will have open jobs by time you graduate and then take a minor in something your interested, that way in five or six years you won't find yourself at a occupy such and such event.

Reactions: Lex Orandi
Maybe you can combine the sciences with the psych and go into psychiatry.

I actually started out as a Chem major and was actually contemplating doing psych. I've actually ended up in economics which is a cool subject if you're able to understand it. If you did well in Chem, econ shouldn't be too much of a problem but it's really interesting so I'd encourage you to take a class.

[MENTION=1834]sandra_b[/MENTION]
I've actually thought about this before... the only thing is psychiatry doesn't actually require that many psychology courses; plus I'd be going to med school, and I'm not very enthusiastic about being a doctor. It's a good idea, though!

[MENTION=3545]bickelz[/MENTION]
I honestly know nothing about economics, so maybe I'll trying taking a class next semester

It will be difficult for you to find work with just a Psychology major. I like the idea of majoring in something that has good job opportunities and that you sort of like, if not love, and minoring/double majoring in a field that you have a passion for. I was lucky enough to love a major that has great opportunities, Computer Science, but I also minored in Mathematics and Music because I love both.

Yes, to become a psychiatrist, you would have to go to medical school, and then you would have to do additional training on top of that. Medical school is extremely difficult, and so is being a doctor. I don't just mean in terms of being intelligent. It is difficult in terms of practical concerns. Yes, if you want a family, it will be more difficult. It is also very stressful.

When you say you are interested in working directly with people, what do you mean? Do you mean you want to help people? Do you mean you want a job that is more extroversion oriented?

My general advice is to take a bunch of challenged classes in very different areas to get a lot of exposure as a freshman and even as a sophomore. I changed my major the 2nd term of my sophomore year (from sociology to philosophy).

To become a counselor, there are different paths you can take. Just about all of them involve going to graduate school for an advanced degree either in counselling psychology or social work with an emphasis in counselling. If you are interested in a specific type of job or area of work, I recommend looking at what the requirements to get it are and then looking at the prerequisites for the graduate programs that will train you for that job. Some might not require specific courses, some might. In general, you'll want strong quantitative and verbal skills (which will also help with the GRE), and you'll want to fill whatever prerequisites the grad school wants.

If you don't want to go to grad school, you will want to pick a major that can actually get a job. It is difficult to find work (especially in a related field) with a psychology major.

PM me if you have any questions. I feel like I know a good amount about this stuff, seeing as I'm going through it myself at the moment.

Reactions: hush
Have you considered Cognitive Science?

I don't actually know much about it, but a friend of mine who was torn between engineering and psychology went that route. It seems like a mixture of psychology, computer science, and possibly other things (from what I've heard).

I wouldn't necessarily call a freshman change of major a crisis; although, it may feel that way at the moment. It just seems like you jumped into college without doing much research first about career paths and how a major fits in. I did the same. Take it from someone who has been there, that there is an answer. Trust that you will find it. As for your parents, well... who has to live with the decisions you make? Not them, right? No one here knows you better than you know yourself.

what's wrong with chemistry? i thought a lot of what i learnt of it was cool, and same with biology. but methinks biochemistry would be worse than either of them (sounds like a lot of detail). if you're studying it now and going well in it then you may as well keep going. though i don't know what options you have with specific sciences.

Last edited:
I agree with [MENTION=834]Dragon[/MENTION] "take a bunch of classes in different areas to get a lot of exposure as a freshman and even as a sophomore". This is what electives are for. Your first couple of years in college are about getting your general ed courses completed and experimenting with possibilities. A lot of people begin college with a clear path and then wander around a little before settling on a precise direction. You have time now to try on different career paths - take advantage of that. I also agree with [MENTION=4123]JCPA[/MENTION], you're the one that has to live with the decisions you make. I also agree with [MENTION=2434]Black Sheep[/MENTION], talk to different faculty members, they deal with college students who are going through this kind of stuff all the time. I had to choose between three career paths that I was interested in when I was in college and I managed to get all of my interests into one career. Enjoy this time of your life now - it only comes around once.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think for now I'm just going to stick with my current major (chem) but take a variety of classes to explore my other interests. I'm starting to think about medicine again... who knows where I'll end up. College is such a confusing time!

Stick with the chemistry for now-- you can always do a postgrad. Seriously… don't do the psychology thing because it will go nowhere.

When you're finished, you might be interested in occupational therapy-- there's a huge demand for them worldwide. The pay is pretty decent and you get to work with people, helping them to adjust to lifestyle changes. There's a lot of creativity and problem-solving involved as well… and it's rewarding because you're making people feel good about themselves again. I would imagine it's also pretty stable if you get the right gig.

My friend ended up working with mental patients, helping them express themselves through art… and she said that their stories were incredible. It's not something that a lot of people think to go into and doesn't get the press that the standard jobs like lawyer and doctor get, but it's an excellent job if you have the right personality and you really care about people!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupational_therapy

In the meantime, an undergrad in chem is a really safe bet and you're still young… it doesn't take so much longer to become an OT-- my friend got her masters in two years… and she was an English major. That was the UK though-- I'm not sure what the requirements are for your country.

You're never too young to start thinking about your future and the more certain and mature you can be about it at this stage, the better… believe me I know what happens if you're not serious or mature about it!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Life is short. Follow your passions, or follow the advice of what others tell you is a "safe" career option. The thing is, there are no guarantees either way. But 50 years of doing something you love trumps 50 years of doing something you hate...