A Career With Animals | INFJ Forum

A Career With Animals

cjswanson1355

Oct 9, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Hello,

I'm currently working as a programmer maintaining code. I recently graduated from college, and was able to find employment quickly. I've been working there for about 4 months now, and it simply isn't the right path for me.

It's not that I'm bad at solving problems. I'm simply too emotional to handle this type of work. By the end of the day I am incredibly anxious and I make far too many mistakes. I feel like I am dragging down the team because they need to point out silly errors I made which I must correct. It's very emotionally draining to feel like a clutz, mentally. My self esteem is very low as a programmer, so I want to go into a career where I can gain confidence.

So I'm looking to change careers.

The first thing I've thought about is going into IT. A person can move around more from what I understand, and I'm guessing they won't be as drained by the end of the day.

However, what I would really like to do is help animals. I absolutely love animals. I didn't pursue this when I was in college since I was concerned about money, but when your job crushes you emotionally, I think I should consider a switch. Is it possible for a graduate with a Computer Science degree to get a job in this field? I don't even know where to begin. Can anyone offer some advice?

From what I understand you could go to grad school for almost anything no matter what your under grad degree is in. I think you should go for it. Why stay where youre unhappy and unfulfilled?

That sounds like a really bad situation to be in and I am sorry you are going through it! If I were in your position, I would start looking for volunteer opportunities at any organization that works with animals. That way you would meet people and get some experience in a field you love. (Or think you love... you just never know until you've tired it.) Are there any zoos or animal shelters or small businesses focusing on training or caring for animals? Places like that are always looking for a helping hand, and maybe you could do some kind of IT-based work for them.

Would those things be feasible in your situation?

Maybe, too, the programming would not be as bad if you were with some more sympathetic co-workers. If you liked programming in school but dislike it now, I would suspect the culture of your current workplace is the problem, not programming itself. You can do the same things around different people and have a totally different experience -- organizations vary wildly.

You aren't being too hard on yourself, are you? Everyone makes mistakes. If you just remember that and cut yourself a little more slack, you might find yourself relaxing and enjoying your work more. Don't beat yourself up, please, that doesn't solve anything and it just makes you miserable.

In any case, best of luck. Being in an emotionally draining job sucks, been there, done that. ):

If you love your work, pursue it, if it doesn't work, leave it.

Simples.

Hello,

I'm currently working as a programmer maintaining code. I recently graduated from college, and was able to find employment quickly. I've been working there for about 4 months now, and it simply isn't the right path for me.

It's not that I'm bad at solving problems. I'm simply too emotional to handle this type of work. By the end of the day I am incredibly anxious and I make far too many mistakes. I feel like I am dragging down the team because they need to point out silly errors I made which I must correct. It's very emotionally draining to feel like a clutz, mentally. My self esteem is very low as a programmer, so I want to go into a career where I can gain confidence.

So I'm looking to change careers.

The first thing I've thought about is going into IT. A person can move around more from what I understand, and I'm guessing they won't be as drained by the end of the day.

However, what I would really like to do is help animals. I absolutely love animals. I didn't pursue this when I was in college since I was concerned about money, but when your job crushes you emotionally, I think I should consider a switch. Is it possible for a graduate with a Computer Science degree to get a job in this field? I don't even know where to begin. Can anyone offer some advice?

Message/PM me ... As most of the people on here can tell you, you're talking about my line of work! And there are lots of jobs for IT/Comp. Sci. in this field if you know where to look :)

Message/PM me ... As most of the people on here can tell you, you're talking about my line of work! And there are lots of jobs for IT/Comp. Sci. in this field if you know where to look :)
As someone in a similar situation, I'd be interested to know this...

As someone in a similar situation, I'd be interested to know this...

Most of what I know is in the US but... there are a lot of organizations out there that have large budgets, corporate headquarters and more business structure to them than just your local types of animal shelters. Places like that usually have a large staff to maintain it all, including Web sites, networks and computers. Zoos, aquariums and museums (nature) are other types of places that will have the more advanced positions like that as well.

When I say I work with animals, people just assumed my days were spent scooping up poop... and a lot of my family still does assume that. In fact, I just applied for a PC Tech job with the US branch of the World Wildlife Fund!

Here are some examples of what I mean by the more "corporate" Animal Welfare/Rights places:

The Humane Society of the United States - HSUS - HQ (not actually affiliated with any government branch) in Washington DC
View attachment 9839

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals - PETA -HQ in Virginia:

View attachment 9840

American Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - ASPCA - HQ in New York City

View attachment 9841

World Wildlife Fund's - WWF - Headquarters in the Netherlands

View attachment 9842

Not exactly your local, run of the mill animal shelters by any means!

Last edited:
I know this is an older thread but just wanted to chime in and say good for you! You'll love working with animals. I work in animal welfare - speciality in dog behaviour and shelter cat behaviour. I work for the BC SPCA. It's mostly volunteer work though (ie. hours spent beyond my pay).

One thing that I find EXTREEMELY tough about working in Animal Welfare as an INFJ, though others here may have a more positive outlook: I have to accept that the problem of animals suffering (via unethical breeding, overpopulation, etc.) is not getting better and that it cannot be controlled by me, I can only do my part and I must be happy with that. I cannot tell you how often I've tried to walk away and never think about it again. When you're in a shelter environment I'm faced with situations that are tough on my psyche everyday. If you're working in more of an administrative role removed from the people who drop off their 6 month old designer breed dog because it has a genetic issue it's much easier. Or you might be happy working as investigator because it feels like you actually get to do something.

Feel free to PM me also if you'd like.

Jackie