2nd Amendment - what's the point? | Page 11 | INFJ Forum

2nd Amendment - what's the point?

What I'm suggesting BTW is that you wouldn't have a hope in hell fighting your own military, I could be wrong. The Taliban and North Vietnamese Army/Viet Cong have proved that guerillas can really stand up to the technologically advanced military machine, at least for a period of time.

Our legitimate state militias are not low tech. My state, Michigan, has its own air force, the Michigan Air National Guard. They fly A-10s. They're under command of our governor but could be federalized by the President.

Getting rid of the 2nd Amendment would be getting rid of them, or at least making them entirely Federal.

Reactions: hush
The military is not a static unchanging body of people. People can and do choose sides that align with their ideology. This is why I keep saying it depends on the circumstances! People have to believe in what they are fighting for or against. If enough people truly believe that the government is corrupt and tyrannical, they will coordinate their people and resources to oppose those that remain loyal to it.

How many people that may be and what resources they can accumulate depends on what the ideological differences are and all the particular minutiae involved. This then factors into the probabilities for success and the outcome and as the old idiom goes, "History is written by the victors." This validates and reconfirms the ideology that the victorious side fought and died for.

Are you suggesting that there are only two options, that if we couldn't achieve victory then we should lay down and be walked over?

If the government did get out of control I would rather die fighting it than lay down and accept it. No victory is even necessary.

Patrick Henry didn't say "We should only try if we can actually win." He said "Give me liberty, or give me death!"

Ahh....but you aren't American now are you? We don't know what we're capable of...but I assure you I know many many who would stand against the tyranny of our government if it finally slapped the truth in their faces.

That's funny how you say the full might of the US military would be pointed at the citizens. Now why on earth would the corporate capitalists - who are exacerbating this issue - want to blow up America and it's assets of land and infrastructure which the corporations own? There's no way they'll allow that to happen.

Personally I do not think the regular military would fight against its own people. Nowwww....the special trained forces is another topic.

All this fight about taking away guns and rights is smoke and mirrors to what's really going on quietly behind American backs. They will never take away guns because they want people shooting each other. It makes people fearful...and that's the goal...leading to control....of the minds.
How much of a factor is concern about one's own government connected to gun ownership in the US?
Is it a common, or fringe factor?
Is this a matter of historical attitude from centuries past, or an actual concern about future problems with one's own government?

That's fine, they've been programmed to only speak about one aspect when the words "second amendment" are invoked. They can't grasp the concept that the 2nd Am. was put in place to remove a corrupt government yet you will be imprisoned for exercising that right - those things are mutually exclusive. And then how do you remedy this problem? I'm not sure they see it as a problem though.
I wonder if the prospect of bearing arms against one's own government is common in republics (where the break-away from the original colony was inimical); or is it connected to republics that have had civil wars?? I'm not too clued up on US history.

Last edited:
Seriously, what is the point of the 2nd amendment? This statistic speaks for itself:

Graph-1.png

Learn to grasp the simple concept that perhaps my statement was aimed at the nature of the discussion, but of course you'd head straight for the only scenario in-which I am the big troll baddie that is talking shit about everyone. It is in-fact not the case, and you are also clutching a straws. It also seems to me that people complain that I am talking about them specifically when I did not mention a single name and rather ironically get singled out for apparently picking on people. You couldn't make this stuff up. You also may think I'm alone in my opinion, but I'm one of a few people that thinks this thread is a shit-throwing festival.

Oh dear. I said it again....

You're putting words into my keyboard-mouth. If you're feeling so unfairly treated, why not just stop posting here? The only thing that you've contributed thus far was that only one person in this thread had anything worthwhile to say.

Oh and, I forgot to mention. I did participate. I was one of the first people to do so on the first page of the thread before it turned pissy.

And it was a hilarious gif indeed.

How much of a factor is concern about one's own government connected to gun ownership in the US?
Is it a common, or fringe factor?
Is this a matter of historical attitude from centuries past, or an actual concern about future problems with one's own government?

I wonder if the prospect of bearing arms against one's own government is common in republics (where the break-away from the original colony was inimical); or is it connected to republics that have had civil wars?? I'm not too clued up on US history.

People don't typically get guns to fight the government specifically. It's not something that most people immediately worry about.

People who want guns for defense want them for general defense. They're not singling out the government. They want to protect themselves from any threat regardless of source, which incidentally could include the government if necessary.

It's very rarely the sole reason.

[MENTION=5601]ezra[/MENTION]

You just don't pay attention. You really don't.

I think you all secretly wish this turns into ‘The Hunger Games’ so you can dress up like Katniss and fight the man.
Sorry, but most of you just don’t have what it takes to be Katniss…you would look just horrible in that get-up.

Reactions: La Sagna
I think you all secretly wish this turns into ‘The Hunger Games’ so you can dress up like Katniss and fight the man.
Sorry, but most of you just don’t have what it takes to be Katniss…you would look just horrible in that get-up.

I think people came in here loaded with preconceived notions and don't know nearly as much about things as they would like to believe. Like "I'm so aware of the world!"

What a vain and self proud crock of shit.

All this Second Amendment "right to bear arms" is dependent on the interpretation of the US constitution which hasn't always been interpreted in the way it is today. From the Wikipedia article:

"In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that, "The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence" and limited the applicability of the Second Amendment to the federal government.[9] In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government and the states could limit any weapon types not having a "reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia"

Those that that think this is some of sacred right are mistaken.

I think people came in here loaded with preconceived notions and don't know nearly as much about things as they would like to believe. Like "I'm so aware of the world!"

What a vain and self proud crock of shit.

Whoa whoa…you can probably fit into the outfit.
Everyone but you okay.

(but yes you are right, some people just parrot what they hear on TV)

BELIEVE ME I JUDGE MYSELF WORSE THAN ANYONE

You and me both dear.

My earliest childhood memories are telling my Mom how much I hated myself.

Seriously, what is the point of the 2nd amendment? This statistic speaks for itself:

Graph-1.png

You're putting words into my keyboard-mouth. If you're feeling so unfairly treated, why not just stop posting here? The only thing that you've contributed thus far was that only one person in this thread had anything worthwhile to say.

And it was a hilarious gif indeed.

No words have been placed in your mouth, and you clearly didn't read the other posts on the page. I'll post here because people keep quoting my 'stupid thread' post in an attempt to call me out as a troll, so I defend what I said. I'll post here without your permission but clearly with your interruption.

I'm done with repeating myself to people that won't listen.

All this Second Amendment "right to bear arms" is dependent on the interpretation of the US constitution which hasn't always been interpreted in the way it is today. From the Wikipedia article:

"In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that, "The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence" and limited the applicability of the Second Amendment to the federal government.[9] In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government and the states could limit any weapon types not having a "reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia"

Those that that think this is some of sacred right are mistaken.

Excellent point! Legal documents are always up for discussion, and defined by the eyes that read them. We defined them differently today than we did a hundred years ago. It wasn't that long ago that the Danish King was actively involved in politics until the constitution was read in a way that made it impossible. Times change, and so does the definitions of old documents.

Also, the constitution is not a divine text. It was written by colonial separatists in a time immediately following a war of independence in the 18th century. It's OK to point out that it is mostly a brilliant, timeless piece of legislation, but also a product of its time, and somewhat outdated. One of the common beliefs in the 18th century was that California was an island, and that pains should be healed through blood-letting.

On to the pettiness.

Clarification time. Maybe I am too big of an idiot to understand what you're saying, but here's where my point is coming from. This is what you wrote.

The only post on this stupid thread worth reading.

I interpreted this as you stating that all of us were wrong, except for the one that you just quoted. Fair enough. Here's what I wrote in response:

You literally just "threw shit" at everyone in this thread except for Pleiades.

Was that a bit harsh? Sure. I was objecting to the fact that I felt like we were having a (somewhat) perfectly fine and nuanced discussion about the issues and good sides of the 2nd amendment. It also seemed a bit odd for you to suddenly chime in just to state that we were all completely wrong while refusing to post your own opinions on the subject. Then here's where you go into this:

I spoke about the thread and the discussion and decided that it was not a discussion. And as far as I can see, I'm not the person singling people out, either. I think I tried perfectly well the first time, and I am not inclined to feel sorry for myself because I'm not giving an opinion you had hoped for.

Here you're essentially accusing me of picking on you for having an opinion that you haven't stated. You then wrote this:

Learn to grasp the simple concept that perhaps my statement was aimed at the nature of the discussion, but of course you'd head straight for the only scenario in-which I am the big troll baddie that is talking shit about everyone. It is in-fact not the case, and you are also clutching a straws. It also seems to me that people complain that I am talking about them specifically when I did not mention a single name and rather ironically get singled out for apparently picking on people. You couldn't make this stuff up. You also may think I'm alone in my opinion, but I'm one of a few people that thinks this thread is a shit-throwing festival.

Oh dear. I said it again....

1) I never called your intellect into the matter. You did here by writing that I should "learn to grasp the simple concept that perhaps my statement was aimed at the nature of the discussion".
2) I never called you a "big troll baddie". What I wrote was that you "threw shit" at everyone in this thread by negating the entire thread. There's a difference.
3) Who threw shit and at what point? It was a discussion of the second amendment before you essentially derailed the thread with your posts.

No words have been placed in your mouth, and you clearly didn't read the other posts on the page. I'll post here because people keep quoting my 'stupid thread' post in an attempt to call me out as a troll, so I defend what I said. I'll post here without your permission but clearly with your interruption.

I'm done with repeating myself to people that won't listen.

Who called you a troll? That's a prime example of you putting words into the keyboard-mouths of the people writing on this thread. Your aggression and condescension is creating unnecessary hostility and brings noise to an important discussion.

Seemed about as reasonable as you accusing me of not paying attention. You take offense very easily. Chill.

It's pretty clear you didn't pay attention when you just jumped back to square one as if the thread never even transpired.

How many times do you want to loop around in a circle before its enough?

Excellent point! Legal documents are always up for discussion, and defined by the eyes that read them. We defined them differently today than we did a hundred years ago. It wasn't that long ago that the Danish King was actively involved in politics until the constitution was read in a way that made it impossible. Times change, and so does the definitions of old documents.

Also, the constitution is not a divine text. It was written by colonial separatists in a time immediately following a war of independence in the 18th century. It's OK to point out that it is mostly a brilliant, timeless piece of legislation, but also a product of its time, and somewhat outdated. One of the common beliefs in the 18th century was that California was an island, and that pains should be healed through blood-letting.

On to the pettiness.

Clarification time. Maybe I am too big of an idiot to understand what you're saying, but here's where my point is coming from. This is what you wrote.

I interpreted this as you stating that all of us were wrong, except for the one that you just quoted. Fair enough. Here's what I wrote in response:

Was that a bit harsh? Sure. I was objecting to the fact that I felt like we were having a (somewhat) perfectly fine and nuanced discussion about the issues and good sides of the 2nd amendment. It also seemed a bit odd for you to suddenly chime in just to state that we were all completely wrong while refusing to post your own opinions on the subject. Then here's where you go into this:

Here you're essentially accusing me of picking on you for having an opinion that you haven't stated. You then wrote this:

1) I never called your intellect into the matter. You did here by writing that I should "learn to grasp the simple concept that perhaps my statement was aimed at the nature of the discussion".
2) I never called you a "big troll baddie". What I wrote was that you "threw shit" at everyone in this thread by negating the entire thread. There's a difference.
3) Who threw shit and at what point? It was a discussion of the second amendment before you essentially derailed the thread with your posts.

Who called you a troll? That's a prime example of you putting words into the keyboard-mouths of the people writing on this thread. Your aggression and condescension is creating unnecessary hostility and brings noise to an important discussion.

I was called a troll in a rep comment. No words are being placed in mouths. Is that all?

I was called a troll in a rep comment. No words are being placed in mouths. Is that all?

Okay fair enough, but the rest of us can't see your rep comments.

It's pretty clear you didn't pay attention when you just jumped back to square one as if the thread never even transpired.

How many times do you want to loop around in a circle before its enough?

I tried to get back on topic. The statistics had not been posted, and it was a new argument for the discussion.