the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
What is the point of the second Amendment and bearing arms against oppressors? More specifically killing your oppressors when killing people is illegal. Especially killing politicians. How is that supposed to work anyway?

Last edited:
There was no standing army at the time.
Amazing how things change over 200+ years...

30eEul4.gif

Reactions: hush
I don't give a fuck if there is a point or not. The constitution is by definition, a principle that cannot be compromised.

Ruji is right. If you wish to change the Constitution based on your personal "what's the point" attitude, you will have to prove yourself to the nation and explain your points coherently, rationally and with conviction. The 2nd Amendment was put in place for a variety of reasons, not just because they had no army at the time (even though they kind-of did). I really wish people would begin a thread with at least some kind of historical knowledge of context before bringing up something in the Constitution as if it were either outdated or corrupt. It is the supreme law of the United States; it isn't going to be removed because some find it to be 'pointless'.

Look it up on Wikipedia. The history is actually pretty informative and goes back to 17th and early 18th century England.

Also killing people isn't per se illegal. There are separations between criminal homicide, justified homicide and self defense.

Ruji is right. If you wish to change the Constitution based on your personal "what's the point" attitude, you will have to prove yourself to the nation and explain your points coherently, rationally and with conviction. The 2nd Amendment was put in place for a variety of reasons, not just because they had no army at the time (even though they kind-of did). I really wish people would begin a thread with at least some kind of historical knowledge of context before bringing up something in the Constitution as if it were either outdated or corrupt. It is the supreme law of the United States; it isn't going to be removed because some find it to be 'pointless'.

Good point I do not wish to change the constitution. But how do you protect the nation from domestic enemies without getting jail time? (Bearing arms included, of course)

I don't give a fuck if there is a point or not. The constitution is by definition, a principle that cannot be compromised.
Edgy as always.

Ummm….just FYI, the constitution has been changed, ratified, and amended several times.
In fact most countries regularly amend their constitutions to keep with changing times.

The right bear arms was also connected to maintaining a well-organized militia, because we didn’t have the National Guard at the time…we still were worried about invaders from the north, the Brits and the French and to the south, (who’s land we just stole a huge chunk of) in Mexico and Spain.
Not to mention the Native Americans who we slaughtered and then vilified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amendments_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Last edited:
If we hadn’t amended/ratified the Constitution we would still have slavery, women and blacks couldn’t vote, blacks and whites couldn’t marry for sure.
So it has very much changed.

Last edited:
The constitution of the United States was written by people, not perfect deities. It's ok to change it.

Yes, after you overthrow the government and pry it from our imperfect dead hands

I'm like Starbucks, I'll wait for you to fold through rigorous competition and swoop in to claim it as my own.

If we always did what the government said, we'd still be British.

Then why have a constitution or government at all?

Why have collateral on a loan? Why have security if we have police? Why have a lock if people can break windows?

It provides assurance and helps good faith.

Just stopping by to point out one thing.

"Ammendment."

Have fun with the civil, respectful discussion though. : )

I'd never be able to live with myself if I took someone else's life. No matter whom. Imagine living with that for the rest of your life. If I lived in a bad neighborhood, like I used to not too long ago, I could consider buying a baseball bat for deterrence. Why isn't that enough for everybody? I can't see any reason for regular people to carry firearms.

I believe the initial motive behind the second amendment was to give people some kind of security in that, if their government got too "out of hand" in dis-accord with the Constitution, the common people would have some means to correct the government, or overthrow and re-install a new one more in adherence to the Constitution. This would likely be done through militias and as a last resort.

Also personal protection factored in to it in a general sense, i'm sure.

Per Wikipedia it lists some founding motivations:

Early English settlers in America viewed the right to arms and/or the right to bear arms and/or state militias as important for one or more of these purposes (in no particular order):
[SUP][48][/SUP][SUP][49][/SUP][SUP][50][/SUP][SUP][51][/SUP][SUP][52][/SUP][SUP][53][/SUP][SUP][54][55][/SUP]

I believe the initial motive behind the second amendment was to give people some kind of security in that, if theit government got too "out of hand" in dis-accord with the Constitution, the common people would have some means to correct the government, or overthrow and re-install a new one more in adherence to the Constitution. This would likely be done through militias and as a last resort.

Also personal protection factored in to it in a general sense, i'm sure.

Per Wikipedia it lists some founding motivations:

Early English settlers in America viewed the right to arms and/or the right to bear arms and/or state militias as important for one or more of these purposes (in no particular order):
[SUP][48][/SUP][SUP][49][/SUP][SUP][50][/SUP][SUP][51][/SUP][SUP][52][/SUP][SUP][53][/SUP][SUP][54][55][/SUP]

Well done. Solid post.

Reactions: rawr