"15 Styles of Distorted Thinking" | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

"15 Styles of Distorted Thinking"

I am a divine human being who does not succumb to distorted thinking.

Duh.

I'm guilty of filtering, overgeneralization, mind reading, personalization, and global labelling. I have overcome all the rest at some point or another.

There are times when I experience all and become aware of it and then try to snap out of it or repair the damage, sometimes I am quick at this sometimes not. Depends on how I am feeling at the time and what is going on in my life. I try to keep a constate state of self awareness.

Awareness of logical fallacies help us avoid logical fallacies.

In the past I've dealt with filtering, Polarized thinking, overgeneralization, mind reading, Catastrophizing, Control Fallacies, Blaming, and the Heaven's Reward fallacy.

I thin still have problems with Control Fallacies, Catastrophizing (at times), self blame, and Heaven's Rewards fallacy. Getting better though.

Not if we do not know why they are fallacies in the first place.... and by this, I mean that it does us little good to know what fallacies are and attempt to rid our thought of them unless we have a clear alternative to adhere to. However, you find that a lack of fallacious thinking is the most ambiguous kind of thinking possible. You never know if what you are thinking is correct, and you don't even know what what you are thinking about that is or is not correct in the first place.

We're all prone to these things, but to point it out I feel is tantamount to pointing out that the emperor has no clothes when you are the emperor.

Not if we do not know why they are fallacies in the first place....

although it's kind of implicit, i think what it means is that these thinking styles lead to closed-off perceptions of the world that don't adequately measure up to what is generally perceived by the vast majority of people as "reality". i'm not saying that humanity isn't susceptible to mass delusion, just that the ability to be aware of these forms of thinking implies a level of functionality and engagement in the world and other people that can't really be called "crazy". a lack of awareness in these sorts of distortions can lead to some very erratic, irresponsible, and unaccountable behaviours. so, even if we don't automatically have a clear alternative, we at least feel more aware that the perspective we've come up may not be the most helpful to us, or the most practical, or the most congruent with others' perceptions of reality. there MAY be another perspective, which may perhaps be more valid in some ways, that we haven't thought of.

i'm kind of okay with not knowing whether or not i'm "correct". i'm not sure that there is any certain "correct", in the traditional sense.

hope i'm actually addressing what you wrote. i'm easily confused;

I struggle with Fairness, Heaven's Reward, Personalization, and Mind Reading the most.

Heavy Personalization and slight Mind Reading.

The personalization is part of my social anxiety. I always seek to improve myself, hence the name. However, that attitude also brings along an inferiority complex, that is sort of how I drive myself I guess. If I give up that feeling of not being good enough, then I won't strive. Everything in moderation, I should lighten the load of inferiority towards others, I am working on it.

There is another problem with my inferiority complex, I tend to think of so lowly of myself, that on the rare occurance that someone else is completely submissive to me, or they treat me like a leader, then I tend to have a very low opinion of them for no reason other than my own complex, it is a weird thing. Maybe it is more about me being scared of being accountable for someone else. Helping with my niece and nephews over the past 9 years has really helped me to lighten this, but it still is there.

Mind Reading - Sometimes I read between the lines so much that I pick up cues that weren't actually intended. Sometimes I assume the person is lying or trying to hide what I picked up on (a lot of people actualy do that) but sometimes they are honest.

I am sure some of these others affect me too but they are either seldom or I am completely blind to them.

Not if we do not know why they are fallacies in the first place.... and by this, I mean that it does us little good to know what fallacies are and attempt to rid our thought of them unless we have a clear alternative to adhere to. However, you find that a lack of fallacious thinking is the most ambiguous kind of thinking possible. You never know if what you are thinking is correct, and you don't even know what what you are thinking about that is or is not correct in the first place.

We're all prone to these things, but to point it out I feel is tantamount to pointing out that the emperor has no clothes when you are the emperor.

Are you stating that fallacies are, in some way, a logical way to think? How do you not know if what you are thinking is not correct, wouldn't that fall back to your personal values and morals? Also, we can't know anything for certain but should that alone practically stop us from making decisions and thinking? Fallacies are something we can avoid, I'm not sure if Cognitive Biases are something we can completely 'nix' though.