Working Until You Die | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Working Until You Die

Definitely. When I was about 7 or 8 mum bought paraffin heaters for our bedrooms and we thought they were marvellous. They must have stunk like mad and been a great fire risk and I wouldn't put one inside a domestic living space these days, but they were wonderful back then.

In 70 years time I expect we'll all be fitted with network implants at birth and won't need any hardware at all - then after that, The Matrix .......

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
b33605b62d93fe5c8682d04887812c27.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
I think this question can be split up into a few different topics. For one I think school, at least here in Sweden, lacks in financial literacy. As they say in the video, a retirement plan and passive investment can substantially change life quality, and yet a lot of people don't even know the most of basics in this.

On the other hand, I think an almost bigger issue is the disillusionment we have with work. I think we as a society should aim to have a lifestyle loop where we add to the experience, and create something positive. Instead, people are more and more looking how to get out. While I understand it of course, I think it's telling about the society we live in. I think people need to have purpose in what they do, and for various reasons I think we're failing in this.
Purpose in what they do. Good thought.

Our very reason(s) for getting involved in something sounds great and often can work for us. Getting involved can be for many precarious, as changes come and go. "This isn't what I signed up for" sound familiar? Then, someone might need to seek something else just to pay bills while they are looking for another way. Worse yet, that may require delicately stepping away. Other people are curious, but when do people drop it?

Change may cause an uncomfortable atmosphere: one we might bring home with us. I'll not be one to claim we are failing on this. Then again, I don't give the word "society" the meaning young ones are giving it.
We used to run more with like-minded people.

We may learn more of humanity in our history books: the ones that haven't been changed. Good luck. I've worked my fifty years. A two-year job I took at a mall was interesting. The man was congratulated for his fifty years of employment with an announcement and all his workers with him. They gave him a small box, which I asked him to see. It was an off-the-shelf watch for $39.95. He said he would rather have gotten a $39.95 gift card. He left the watch.

Try to find out where the place you want to work is going, and how do they treat retirement. A watch won't cut it. Maybe you can keep your health insurance, or a supplemental policy?

Reactions: aeon
Is it just me, or does it seem the world is trying to turn all the younger folk into crybabies?

American farmers were doing alright in the 1870s or so. Many farmers were hit with lower prices due to imports from other countries. Taxes on land was bad. Couldn't afford the new machinery and equipment to keep up. Migrated to the cities for work, where they were met with immigrants looking for the same thing.

The Great Depression of the 1930s or so came along, and there were people standing in lines for soup. Guess the ones at home crying had someone bringing them food or they would starve. Most of the world saw an economic depression. People were happy to have most any kind of job. There were immigrants returning home because they could not find work here.

Adolph Hitler enters the world stage. After the Depression, we had something to do: stop Hitler. Women rolled up their sleeves, too. Weren't many crying at home.

Look at everything the world has suffered since WWII, and now the world is acting like a bunch of strangers. Get a pair of work gloves, put a hand towel through your belt, and go do something.

The only reason the internet is being attacked about working comes from those who want to destroy this land. Why do they not all get in a boat together? They can tell people not to work, but who is cooking tonight for everyone? Who is paddling? Who is navigating? Think about it. While you are thinking, what will we do with Russia? German occupation was divided.

I'm still standing, and would go in the world where they sent me to help stabilize it and have everyone sitting at the same table once again. Send a van.

Working, leading to some reward, either short-term or long-term, is, for many, fundamentally broken.

Never to own a home, and for some, never to leave home...child-free becoming a reasonable choice because of cost...lack of job stability and the absence of meaningful advancement...the cost of housing, medicine, education, all multiple times the cost of the inflation average, while at the same time wages have stagnated.

Some refuse because of their sense of betrayal. Some feel hopeless. Some rightfully ascertain there being no point. Some refuse to participate in what was broken before their arrival.

I’m glad I worked as I did when I could, because it means things aren’t awful now, living in my car notwithstanding.

And for sure, as I did then, I recognize now...work is how the world functions, for every living thing. Humans make a dog and pony show of it, however.

So although I may think and feel differently, I hear their stories and their expression of feeling, their bewilderment and their grief and their anger, and I understand, I hope. I certainly feel for them.

This is part of the collapse. No one will be spared.

That all said, I wish when I was a child that there would have been people other than Joseph Campbell telling me to follow my bliss.

Best to You,
Ian

QwqIhwb.jpeg