Working abroad | INFJ Forum

Working abroad

laziness

Oct 28, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
7 and 1
Has anyone work abroad before? What was your experience like? Did you like it? How was the paper work? Did you have difficulty finding a place to live?

I'm currently in the US and is considering finding an English speaking country, preferably in Europe because I don't like the long flights. Advices and tips would be appreciated. :m032:

I've lived/worked in 5 different countries now.

It's really impossible to tell you what the paperwork is going to be like because it varies from country to country. When I applied for my New Zealand visa I needed to do a LOT of medical tests-- HIV, STDs, TB X-rays, general health, urine, blood etc-- and it cost me around $200. I actually failed one of the tests because I didn't drink enough water beforehand so I was dehydrated and it showed up as elevated creatine levels or something. This would have been fine if I hadn't been required to drive for 3 hours one way in order to see 'their' doctor (must be certified for NZ visas).

What you could look into is a working holiday visa-- I don't know what deals the US has with the UK but in most commonwealth countries you can get a visa to work in the UK pretty easily so long as you're 30 or under. You're only allowed to work for 6 months total out of your year, however. Other visas can be much more difficult to get... I actually met an American when I was in London and I think that he was on something like that... but I didn't ask him. The US obviously isn't commonwealth, so I don't know what the deal is there. Still, the working holidaymaker visa is the easiest way to get your foot in the door. Student visas are good too-- but of course, that means you have to pay tuition and as an International Student it will be brutal. The working holidays only last a year (maybe there is an option for 2? I can't remember)... but if you're solid with your employer he/she can help you out.

Finding a place to live depends on the local customs... it's best to understand them before you go. I didn't find it difficult at all to find a place in NZ... but I did kind of get exploited because I didn't know enough about the customs with that kind of thing. I got locked into a ridiculous contract and payed too much money... and then I couldn't get out. Make sure you know the exchange rates and what is a fair price.

Look into staying in a nice hostel-- there are some where you can rent per week-- you can't go wrong with YHA-- I think that some of their rooms are more like tiny apartments. Other hostels can mean you have to deal with a lot of backpackers and party people-- it's great when you're on vacation, but when you've just arrived and you have to get things done, it sucks to see everyone else having fun and spending money.

Still, the bars in hostels can be a great place to get information/network... they're full of expats and chances are some of them are looking to do what you want to do. Even the bartenders can be pretty helpful.

For jobs-- besides the usual, make sure you have a criminal background check (FBI is best-- get the most thorough version and order it now, because it takes 6 months or something). You might need to bring your original University degree if you have one. And the usual-- passport copies, driver's license, etc. Inform the US embassy when you've arrived.

It helps if you write out a thorough checklist of absolutely everything that you need to do and then cross the things off as you do them-- you do NOT want to forget a part of the process and be stuck in your new country without something important.

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:
oh wow, that's for the detail information. Looks like I got a lot of home work to do.