[PAX] - Women you admire or who inspire | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Women you admire or who inspire

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Although, we've just had International Women's Day, women are still vastly under-appreciated, under estimated, inadequately respected, and grossly misunderstood. So, to remind us what makes women the magnificent creatures they are, please share examples of women you admire, who've inspired you, or who you think are just awesome because of who they are or what they've done. This thread is not about women being perfect, pure, or innocent. Some of these women may very well be controversial.

Sidenote: this thread is not about male bashing or trashing. Nor is it about claiming women's superiority to men. So, don't go there.

Young-suffragette-Valenti-012.jpg

Reactions: Free
I think I've mentioned it elsewhere here, but I have long admired Hermine Santruschitz aka Miep Gies for her role in hiding Jewish families and others persecuted by the Nazis. How terrifying it must have been to stay and pretend to go along with everything, but in secret, to do everything one could to hide and save those persecuted. Though she was not persecuted, she placed herself at risk for it by protecting others. She and her husband could have fled the country like many others. I think of her a lot when I want to run away from a problem or do the easy thing instead of the right thing. I'm not an expert on her life or anything. I just remember reading about her a lot in school as a kid. It always stuck with me.

After thinking about this question, the woman I admire most and who inspires me most is myself. I've been through enough heavy stuff in my life to fill at least 3 or 4 lifetimes and I still manage to love and be loved, enjoy life, be successful, help other folks, and have a sense of humor through it all.

So, in spite of how narcissistic this may sound, today is hats off to myself day. I would suggest every woman out there feel the same way. Look up to and admire yourself cause you're probably more awesome than you think!

Reactions: Kgal
Caitlin Jenner

Please include a reason why you chose a person, instead of simply posting their name. Thanks.

Rebecca Lee Crumpler - First African American female physician
Katherine Johnson - Dope scientist that worked for NASA
Margaret Thatcher - Awesome Prime Minister
Ching Shih - Pirate. Nuff said
Marie Curie - Crazy awesome chemist
Eleanor Roosevelt - She was fucking boss. Look her up. Great diplomat
Aretha Franklin - Great activist and singer
Janis Joplin - My dad always listened to her music so I absorbed a liking to it
Julia Child - Watched her show when I was little. Feisty lady. Very cool and not bad at cooking
Joan Jett - A rock star legend duh
Helen Mirren - So classy, sassy and kick assy
Michelle Obama - Love her strength and kindness balance
Cecilia Payne - Under-appreciated astronomer, look her up
Grace Hopper - Computer scientist and Admiral, I'd like to see you do better with your life
Georgia O'Keeffe - Love the art, great stuff

And others I forget. Women rule.

Also this lady, because obviously:

attachment.php

Attachments

• comment_fkQ2lzCs8kw250PXoPl8a3cxl0ikZOmQ.jpg
    comment_fkQ2lzCs8kw250PXoPl8a3cxl0ikZOmQ.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 57
Huge respect and admiration for great women in the arts... Vivien Leigh, Julie Andrews, Meryl Streep, Natalie Portman, Remedios Varo, Cindy Sherman, Jane Austen, Ursula Le Guin, Mary Shelley, Edith Wharton, Charlotte Bronte, Sylvia Plath, Jean Rhys, Margaret Mitchell, Donna Tartt, Radclyffe Hall, Kate Chopin, Pauline Reage...

Wow, this is really making me think more about all of the great artist women who I don't know about - I feel so inspired now to engage much more deeply with women artists. And sometimes you just think of the "great" ones, but there's a history of art made by women that is so much richer and more detailed to learn about.

I read that Swan Lake exists in the most accepted form it does today partly because of the work of a ballerina called Pierina Legnani who danced on it in 1895. Isn't that cool?

Claire Underwood doesn't need feminism. Feminism needs Claire Underwood.

Ew4ZPqS.png

[h=1]Aung San Suu Kyi, burmese political revolutionary, winner of 1991 Nobel Peace Prize[/h]
Aung San Suu Kyi returned to Burma in 1988, after years of living and studying abroad, only to find widespread slaughter of protesters rallying against the brutal rule of dictator U Ne Win. She spoke out against him and initiated a nonviolent movement toward achieving democracy and human rights. In 1989, the government placed Suu Kyi under house arrest, and she spent 15 of the next 21 years in custody. In 1991, her ongoing efforts won her the Nobel Prize for Peace, and she was finally released from house arrest in November 2010. She has since gained a parliamentary seat with the National League for Democracy party.
http://www.biography.com/people/aung-san-suu-kyi-9192617

Jennifer Lawrence because she is so real.

Reactions: Siimplicity
Hillary Clinton

JUST KIDDING!

*hides from all the rotten tomatoes being thrown*

I had a thing for Princess Di growing up. She was such a humanitarian. I loved her for that.

Reactions: Free and PintoBean
Long time admiration of Brigitte Bardot. Not only beautiful, opinionated and intelligent, but an animal rights activist as well. Also I think it's cool she is not vain and narcissistic when she was basically the biggest sex-pot of her day.
brigitte-bardot-09.jpg

FINALBardot-GettyImages_1168443sm.jpg

560060cedbd3f.image.jpg

Reactions: Siimplicity