Whoever discovers the meaning of these sayings will not taste death. | INFJ Forum

Whoever discovers the meaning of these sayings will not taste death.

Kmal

Jan 21, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8 sx/sp
That was the opening of the Gospel of Thomas in the Gnostic Bible. Anyone who has read the Gnostic Bible, be sure to comment so I can hear your advice. This thread is about sayings that relate to that, not only by Jesus, but also Buddha, Mohammed, Krishna, and anyone else who said something that helped you. I want to discuss a few of those so submit a passage or two of what you want to find a meaning for and what you think.

My first one:

Gospel of Thomas 22: Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."

This reminds me of how there is only one way to god, yet there is many ways to god, and the two are one. A friend of mine said this is about the divine number of 3, as we are 3 dimensional creatures, and there is positive, negative, and neutral, and that neutrality is whole, and in this case spiritually whole, like those who were made into a single one.

I'll be sure to add some from the Quran so we'll have some diversity. I haven't found a compilation of any of Buddhas saying or Krishna, but I cant say I've even looked in to it. I'm certainly open to it and would love to have someone's perspective who has read a lot of their works and understand their wisdom.

Last edited:
Reactions: muir
Not from the Quran, but Islamic mysticism nonetheless.

Here is a passage from the oldest Persian treatise on Sufism, the Kashf al-Mahjub of Hujwiri:

"It is related that Sari al-Saqati said, 'O God, whatever punishment thou mayst inflict upon me, do not punish me with the humiliation of being veiled from Thee,' because, if I am not veiled from Thee, my torment and affliction will be lightened by the recollection and contemplation of Thee; but if I am veiled from Thee, even Thy bounty will be deadly to me. There is no punishment in Hell more painful and hard to bear than that of being veiled. If God were revealed in Hell to the people of Hell, sinful, believers would never think of Paradise, since the sight of God would so fill them with joy that they would not feel bodily pain. And in Paradise there is no pleasure more perfect than unveiledness. If the people there enjoyed all the pleasures of that place and other pleasures a hundredfold, but were veiled from God, their hearts would be utterly broken. Therefore it is the way of God to let the hearts of those who love Him have vision of Him always, in order that the delight thereof may enable them to endure every tribulation; and they say in their visions, 'We deem all torments more desirable than to be veiled from Thee. When Thy beauty is revealed to our hearts, we take no thought of affliction.'"

This is classic spiritual comfort and although not from the Quran, the Quran stresses the rewards of remembrance of god as this does.

"but if I am veiled from Thee, even Thy bounty will be deadly to me."