Who has to buy their own individual medical insurance policy? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Who has to buy their own individual medical insurance policy?

Work out every day, eat well, stay calm, and you still are one surgery away from bankruptcy. Some people are prone to be overweight, and they hate it and can do little about it. Stamp their medical records as "OBESE" and what have you accomplished? Not everyone can go to a gym. Not everyone is healthy enough to run in the park. Blaming people for their health is not always fair. ......................................I remember in grade school how different people were picked on by others while everyone else watched. Lot of those kids cannot help it. Go home and tell the wife that cut up celery, onions, potatoes, carrots, and ground venison in the sink you don't want any more. There are times it is just better to eat something and eat less the next AM.............................................People need an insurance card, if for nothing but major medical with a high deductible. Every year the rates jump(not like this month) and your rates will still be higher if you choose a higher deductible again and again. When you hit sixty you get literally hammered. I've been thinking of making a sign to put out front saying, WILL WORK FOR INSURANCE. How ridiculous does that really sound right now?
~sigh~
<-----Has no idea what to do.

Ahem... Universal Healthcare (play dramatic music here) anyone? Instead of this Conservative, privatized bastardization of it.

I hate the Liberals for giving in to this crap of a plan and I hate the Conservatives for being too chicken-shit to follow the rest of the modern world.

Anyone else out there? Anyone know what is about to happen under the NEW insurance plans coming? Hold onto your hat, because you are going for a ride.

Pelosi on the health care bill before it was railroaded through, "“But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what’s in it....”" The law makers who made it dont even know whats in it. I honestly hope all of you do ok going into the future.

I just want to say that I hate the damned Kaiser Permanente commercials that tell you to “Thrive”...yes, thrive, quit smoking, lose weight, be healthy please, so we don’t have to pay for your shit and we can sit back and collect money from you. It’s like nails on the chalkboard every time I hear it! Ugh.
tumblr_mh4k0yVNRD1ribnwko1_500.gif

Perhaps I am one of the lucky few who actually like their healthcare. I don't pay too much (about 200/month) but then it is just me and I don't have kids either. The family rates are outrageous.

Perhaps I am one of the lucky few who actually like their healthcare. I don't pay too much (about 200/month) but then it is just me and I don't have kids either. The family rates are outrageous.

Again rates are not always bad and it's good to see someone doing well! :D I have to be careful what I divulge about real life situations for obvious reasons so sorry if I sound like I am beating around the bush but I know plenty of individuals and groups with pretty decent rates but for every one of those, I know at least five that are in a very bad situation. So for every group or individual I see in this range:

Employee Only/Single: $200 - $400
Employee & Spouse: $550 - $750
Employee & Child(ren): $500 - $700
Family: $800 - $1000

I see at least 5 to 6 in this range:

Employee Only/Single: $400 - $700
Employee & Spouse: $850 - $1200
Employee & Child(ren): $800 - $1050
Family: $1100 - $1600

Now lets say the employer is doing the minimum contribution which varies but is 50% to 75% in most cases. 50% across the board or 75% of the single premium. Either way it is still difficult to afford so a lot of people waive coverage. This stops the group from being able to control price a little bit better by spreading risk over a much larger pool. So people don't join their groups plan because it is too expensive and the plan cost increases because of a lack of participation and then less join. It's a lose lose constantly.

Those in a bad situation are going to have to hit rock bottom and suffer through years of bad premiums before it normalizes. So either the employee or employer is going to have to constantly take a hit. Those in good condition are hurting too but they will normalize much quicker and with the ability of spiliting the cost a little more equally between the employee and employer.

I know of one larger group whose executives decided to reverse trend by making their executives and higher paid employees pay almost the entire cost of their insurance while the company paid 100% of their lowest wage earners premium at a tierd level. So the more the persons salary increased the more the person became responsible for paying for their insurance.

This is against what has been trend for years where a lot of groups have done carve outs for higher paid employees. These carve out's are typically richer plans and are completely covered by the employer.

As a Native American, I also have the ability to go to a federally run Indian Health Service (IHS) Clinic. I have experienced government managed healthcare my entire life. Sometimes the experiences were beyond terrible but most of the time it has been average or better. There is always a healthy dose of medical preaching and "save them poor injuns" to be found which is beyond annoying but then I think that most people aren't afforded the opportunity for long term general health care. So although I have my own insurance, I can elect to go to the IHS where I don't have to pay a premium. I still support the idea of managed healthcare and applaud at least the beginnings of establishing it in the US.

Employers in my state, and from what I've seen online, many "Red" states, won't hire full-time anymore. I'm lucky enough to have a job, but how lucky am I that I need two part times jobs to equal the pay of one full-time job? And the icing on this cake? I get no healthcare. And the whipped cream on top of this icing? I make "too much" to afford any government sponsored program. And the sprinkles on top of that whipped cream? I don't make enough to afford even the most basic of basic healthcare plans.

I think the term for me is "working poor". I have a college education, certifications and over 10 years of work experience. I gave up what could have been a high paying career in the technology field to go into non-profit work and got screwed years later when I lost my job. Now no one wants to hire full-time in any field despite my education and experience and the government gives me a nice crap-flavored-sandwich to eat in the form of "Obamacare".

My own government, the same one I have the right to vote for, basically told me to go f*** myself after I was already knocked down. Employers are too buys cutting their noses off to spite their face by reducing full-time jobs to part-time 'cause, "that'll teach 'em!". Meanwhile, the individuals in the country are told to take a hike and buy their own insurance.

What's worse is that 10, 15, or more years from now, people are going to look back and remember the time "we tried and failed at Healthcare reform". And the ignorant, dumb-as-stick politicians and their droves of mindless zombies are going to forever take a Universal plan off the table thinking "we already tried it and failed" having no clue what an actual single-payer, government sponsored healthcare plan really is.