When an INFJ gives mixed signals to an ENFP | INFJ Forum

When an INFJ gives mixed signals to an ENFP

Avery

Three
Dec 10, 2018
MBTI
ENFP
Hello! I'm a 25 year old female ENFP and I'm having an extremely hard time understanding an online INFJ friend of mine (24M). Let's call him Jayce. So we met 6 years ago online playing some game. We quickly became friends, we talked every day, we played a lot, we have the same kind of humor. He honestly makes me laugh out LOUD which almost never happens. We have a great vibe going on in general. After a year or so we got so close that he was even willing to cam with me so we could actually talk. Like most INFJ's, he dislikes camming/calling in general so it was a big deal to me.

Now, after about 3 years he became romantically interested in me and I just started to like him as well, maybe not as much as he liked me though. There was a lot of heavy flirting going.
Then we decided to meet up for the first time in person. I'm from the UK and he's from The Netherlands so there is a gap. Anyways, money wasn't an issue for me. But shortly after I met a guy in real life and I fell for him. I started dating him, our plans to meet up got cancelled and all he said was "I'm happy for you". I was surprised. He showed very clear interest in me and at the time, I was so consumed by my bf that I didn't pay much attention to him. I never had much dating experience in real life, so maybe that's why I went for the "real" guy instead of Jayce. Anyways, during the time I dated that guy, Jayce stayed with me as a friend. Stopped flirting with me, just being there for me as always. Eventually me and my bf broke up. Jayce seemed to have lost interest in me at this point despite me still having lingering feelings for him. So I ignored these feelings and kept dating in real life for about two years after this.

After getting out of my last emotionally abusive relationship, I decided to stop dating for a while and focus on making myself happy. I was dating quite a lot up until that moment, so Jayce didn't believe I could last a few months without dating. He was even willing to make a bet. He'd write me a song (which he'd sing and play his guitar) if I could stay single and not date or fuck around for at least 2 months. I managed to "pass" so he started working on that song. He finished it and sent it to me and I don't know what it was, but hearing him sing like that turned a switch on inside of me. All my bottled up feelings for him came rushing back and it was HUGE. I fell for him, hard. It's safe to say he's my first and only love as I've never loved any guys I dated. But at the same time I refuse to believe I love him since we've never even met in person. I thought he might be into me because:

- he kept talking about cute girls he met in real life (but he'd always follow up saying he has 0 interest in them)
- he kept flirting low key sometimes (making sexual innuendos is our way of joking and flirting)
- when I posted a pic showing some cleavage he texted me randomly asking "why are you showing off your cleavage on there?", kinda annoyed
- he'd send me pics of things I like/love on a regular base (mainly pics of cats)

These are some examples. And for 5 years, we kept talking almost every day so there's that too. I heard a lot about INFJ's spending time on others as a big sign of liking someone. Anyways, I decided to confess. He didn't reply. After 2 days, I asked him why he didn't answer. He said he simply didn't know how to respond. So I asked if he has feelings for me, yes or no. He said he did have feelings for me at some point, but not anymore. I love him enough as a person to accept his decision and keep him as a friend. He's been through the same thing when I decided to date my ex while we were suppposed to finally meet in person.

So we stayed friends for months, it's been 6 months since my confession. And I made these vacation plans to Germany which is right next to his country. So I proposed to him like: "Heyy I'm going to Germany and I have the time and money to make a trip to the Netherlands while I'm there too. So we can finally meet up! What do you think?"

I sent this to him yesterday and he still hasn't answered, but has read the message. Keep in mind, the past 6 months we have just been friends as always without flirting. I just want to meet the friend who has helped me through so much shit after 6 long years. And now he's gone silent? What's going on? Doesn't he want to meet me? Is he thinking of an excuse to not meet me?

Hello! I'm a 25 year old female ENFP and I'm having an extremely hard time understanding an online INFJ friend of mine (24M). Let's call him Jayce. So we met 6 years ago online playing some game. We quickly became friends, we talked every day, we played a lot, we have the same kind of humor. He honestly makes me laugh out LOUD which almost never happens. We have a great vibe going on in general. After a year or so we got so close that he was even willing to cam with me so we could actually talk. Like most INFJ's, he dislikes camming/calling in general so it was a big deal to me.

Now, after about 3 years he became romantically interested in me and I just started to like him as well, maybe not as much as he liked me though. There was a lot of heavy flirting going.
Then we decided to meet up for the first time in person. I'm from the UK and he's from The Netherlands so there is a gap. Anyways, money wasn't an issue for me. But shortly after I met a guy in real life and I fell for him. I started dating him, our plans to meet up got cancelled and all he said was "I'm happy for you". I was surprised. He showed very clear interest in me and at the time, I was so consumed by my bf that I didn't pay much attention to him. I never had much dating experience in real life, so maybe that's why I went for the "real" guy instead of Jayce. Anyways, during the time I dated that guy, Jayce stayed with me as a friend. Stopped flirting with me, just being there for me as always. Eventually me and my bf broke up. Jayce seemed to have lost interest in me at this point despite me still having lingering feelings for him. So I ignored these feelings and kept dating in real life for about two years after this.

After getting out of my last emotionally abusive relationship, I decided to stop dating for a while and focus on making myself happy. I was dating quite a lot up until that moment, so Jayce didn't believe I could last a few months without dating. He was even willing to make a bet. He'd write me a song (which he'd sing and play his guitar) if I could stay single and not date or fuck around for at least 2 months. I managed to "pass" so he started working on that song. He finished it and sent it to me and I don't know what it was, but hearing him sing like that turned a switch on inside of me. All my bottled up feelings for him came rushing back and it was HUGE. I fell for him, hard. It's safe to say he's my first and only love as I've never loved any guys I dated. But at the same time I refuse to believe I love him since we've never even met in person. I thought he might be into me because:

- he kept talking about cute girls he met in real life (but he'd always follow up saying he has 0 interest in them)
- he kept flirting low key sometimes (making sexual innuendos is our way of joking and flirting)
- when I posted a pic showing some cleavage he texted me randomly asking "why are you showing off your cleavage on there?", kinda annoyed
- he'd send me pics of things I like/love on a regular base (mainly pics of cats)

These are some examples. And for 5 years, we kept talking almost every day so there's that too. I heard a lot about INFJ's spending time on others as a big sign of liking someone. Anyways, I decided to confess. He didn't reply. After 2 days, I asked him why he didn't answer. He said he simply didn't know how to respond. So I asked if he has feelings for me, yes or no. He said he did have feelings for me at some point, but not anymore. I love him enough as a person to accept his decision and keep him as a friend. He's been through the same thing when I decided to date my ex while we were suppposed to finally meet in person.

So we stayed friends for months, it's been 6 months since my confession. And I made these vacation plans to Germany which is right next to his country. So I proposed to him like: "Heyy I'm going to Germany and I have the time and money to make a trip to the Netherlands while I'm there too. So we can finally meet up! What do you think?"

I sent this to him yesterday and he still hasn't answered, but has read the message. Keep in mind, the past 6 months we have just been friends as always without flirting. I just want to meet the friend who has helped me through so much shit after 6 long years. And now he's gone silent? What's going on? Doesn't he want to meet me? Is he thinking of an excuse to not meet me?
He liked you 6 years. He wanted to meet and date you 6 years ago, but you blew him off and dated others.

"I'm happy for you"
^ means "I'm hurt by you."

Now, after 6 years of him listening to you talk about all your boyfriends and problems, you fall in love with him because he sang you a song? My guess is he's either too nice to tell you to leave him alone, you've confused the hell out of him, or he's looking inside himself to see if he can find those old feelings he had for you. Idk Good luck

He liked you 6 years. He wanted to meet and date you 6 years ago, but you blew him off and dated others.

^ means "I'm hurt by you."

Now, after 6 years of him listening to you talk about all your boyfriends and problems, you fall in love with him because he sang you a song? My guess is he's either too nice to tell you to leave him alone, you've confused the hell out of him, or he's looking inside himself to see if he can find those old feelings he had for you. Idk Good luck

I don't literally mean that song made me fall for him. Even before that, my feelings for him were growing very strongly. I've never believed loved existed, I thought it was bullshit. I went through depression thinking nobody could even love or care about me. Now looking back, I know I've been a fucking idiot. I should have taken the leap with him, but at the time I was an inexperienced idiot when it came to dating. I know I fucked up but I can't control the fact that my feelings for him only started developing strongly since this year. I've been trying to give him advice when he dated as well lately. He has been single for 3 years and he recently met this girl. He seemed interested but after hanging out a lot with her after 6 months, he told me he "doesn't know if I like her". I found that weird as well. I'm not expecting romance from him right now. I know I don't have that right. My point is just that I want to meet him, as friends since we're still close and know everything about each other.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
I don't literally mean that song made me fall for him. Even before that, my feelings for him were growing very strongly. I've never believed loved existed, I thought it was bullshit. I went through depression thinking nobody could even love or care about me. Now looking back, I know I've been a fucking idiot. I should have taken the leap with him, but at the time I was an inexperienced idiot when it came to dating. I know I fucked up but I can't control the fact that my feelings for him only started developing strongly since this year. I've been trying to give him advice when he dated as well lately. He has been single for 3 years and he recently met this girl. He seemed interested but after hanging out a lot with her after 6 months, he told me he "doesn't know if I like her". I found that weird as well. I'm not expecting romance from him right now. I know I don't have that right. My point is just that I want to meet him, as friends since we're still close and know everything about each other.

... .. sometimes we all need to grow into the person we need to become. Afterwards "mistakes" make sense.. and how we need to make mistakes. Don't blame yourself or others.. even if it is sad and a pity..
Nevertheless, time constantly flows ... some bonds change, some get lost.. some find themselves again.. some never will.

I'm sorry but I don't think further analyzing the very past will provide you with a real solution..
It might have taken him a lot time to get over it... making a step further and also dating.. trying to sort things out.. and then...well, taking the leep to meet you might just be asked too much..this or another way.

Maybe you should concider focusing on something else for a while, take care of yourself, do something that is fun on the germany trip. Keep learning more about those chapters of life on how important it is to make .yourself. happy with all you've been given so far.

I wish you a save trip! :)