what parts of your personality is expressed the most and neglected? | INFJ Forum

what parts of your personality is expressed the most and neglected?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What parts of your personality do you have the chance to show and express the most, and which parts are often neglected or don't often get the chance to be shown or expressed fully? Why?

Feeling side is definitely repressed. I rent and live alone in a house (my kitten is my roomie), and live out in the middle of a forest in the middle of no-where. I mean my Fe usually comes out when trying to relate to people, but my own feelings are very difficult to share with other people. I wish I could cry in front of someone but I just can't. I've started keeping a journal and working on mindfulness to see if I can start becoming a bit better emotionally expressive without it seeming awkward or like an abrupt burst of emotion from no-where. Plus the journal, I can keep track of specific emotions easier and know why they're there before I lose sight of what I was feeling and why.

I mean it's so easy to walk up to people and go "I think, I think, I think, blah blah blah blah", that's what I'm best at. I can easily make friends and communicate ideas/visions effectively. My thinky idea side is definitely the most expressed and I like helping people think through and find solutions to difficult problems. Most people I know appreciate me for my insights and ability to help people through difficult problems.

I guess I need continuous re-assurance that it's okay to let the feelings out. Why? I tend to go in circles and act confused about my feelings. It's awkward and I get nervous sharing. Hugs help.

What parts of your personality do you have the chance to show and express the most, and which parts are often neglected or don't often get the chance to be shown or expressed fully? Why?

What about you?

The parts of my personality I show and express the most are my bubbly-ness, goofiness, and my concern for others.

I tend to repress my more serious side. That aspect of myself is very personal and fragile and very seldom I express it to others.

Sometimes it feels a bit like a split personality.. Like the outside me that I prefer to show to others is a bit different than the inside me.

Reactions: rawr
What about you?

The part that I express the most is the one most pleasing to the public, because professional and social expectations often dictate what's used most often. So, I can seem very easy going, relaxed, and agreeable in some settings, but be completely uncomfortable. The part I rarely express is my more serious side because it's dismissed as being too intense or treated as false. It's also surprising to people because people tend to assume being serious is always about having had "serious" problems and eventful lives. Also, in the culture I'm in, if you're not laughing at, off, or about something in some way, people are uncomfortable. So, to avoid seeming like the town scrooge, I try to express a vibe which says, "I'm cool, whatever" while screaming inside about the unfairness or injustice in the world.

Last edited:
The part that I express the most is the one most pleasing to the public, because professional and social expectations often dictate what's used most often. So, I can seem very easy going, relaxed, and agreeable in some settings, but be completely uncomfortable. The part I rarely express is my more serious side because it's dismissed as being too intense or treated as false. It's also surprising to people because people tend to assume being serious is always about having had "serious" problems and eventful lives. Also, in the culture I'm in, if you're not laughing at, off, or about something in some way, people are uncomfortable. So, to avoid seeming like the town scrooge, I try to express a vibe which says, "I'm cool, whatever" while screaming inside about the unfairness or injustice in the world.

I am like this too, mostly because I am pretty sure I can figure out who would talk behind my back and start to spoil my reputation if I actually spoke my mind and truths 100%. I say what I mean but often I'll modify what I'm saying a bit just to please others. Besides I run a business so I have to be real careful of how I convey myself to society. The only person I really feel like I can share my deepest thoughts with is my mother, she's an INTJ, and we can usually always joke about who would get offended just by hearing us share what we really think. Plus we both think the same things when we talk about seeing through other people's BS :D

I try to hold back my serious side too, I mean it inadvertently could come off as intimidating and then people would not want to approach me at all anymore... Living like an island is no good... Even though the solitude is great.

I am like this too, mostly because I am pretty sure I can figure out who would talk behind my back and start to spoil my reputation if I actually spoke my mind and truths 100%. I say what I mean but often I'll modify what I'm saying a bit just to please others. Besides I run a business so I have to be real careful of how I convey myself to society. The only person I really feel like I can share my deepest thoughts with is my mother, she's an INTJ, and we can usually always joke about who would get offended just by hearing us share what we really think. Plus we both think the same things when we talk about seeing through other people's BS :D

I try to hold back my serious side too, I mean it inadvertently could come off as intimidating and then people would not want to approach me at all anymore... Living like an island is no good... Even though the solitude is great.

I also tend to keep my distance because I've been hurt too many times by being too open about how I feel, so I keep that to myself for the most part. I slip up sometimes, but I'm trying to keep a consistent pattern going. :D The only person I can be myself with is my closest friend and my mom. I can tell them almost everything. My friend is more understanding because we are very similar.

I may seem to be very easy going, relaxed, smiling and generally a lot happier than how I really feel. Mostly because I don't want strangers to know that I suffer from depression. It doesn't mean that happier side of me isn't "me", I just don't feel comfortable sharing about my inner darkness to people. It's a scary and a very sad place.

I express my conscientious side mostly.

My neglected side is that I don't seek out stimulation from others near enough at all. I am working on this in new ways and things are going well. Mainly I am trying to break out of being as conscientious as people can grow to expect it. Also those without a moral compass try to latch onto me via my conscientious nature.

It's pretty situational for me. I fill a lot of different roles in my day to day life: therapist, researcher, tragic poet, friend, writer, martial arts student, lover, leader, organizer, tutor, learner. Each role calls on different skills and permits my personality to come out and play in patchwork fashion. A surge of empathy here, some mischievous humor and creativity there, a dash of technical and personal feedback over there, and so on. Because I excel at compartmentalizing myself, the people I consistently interact with have commented that even though they enjoy my company, they feel as though they barely know me, especially when I travel into other roles than the ones they typically see me in. This has caused some hang-ups in the past because not all people know what to do with or are comfortable with a complicated personality.

All in all, I'm pretty well balanced, though I admit the busy rush of my life coupled with recent illness has left me feeling tired and a little burnt out. So, I suppose, the facet of me-ness most in need of repair is simple self-care.

Last edited:
I also tend to keep my distance because I've been hurt too many times by being too open about how I feel, so I keep that to myself for the most part. I slip up sometimes, but I'm trying to keep a consistent pattern going. :D The only person I can be myself with is my closest friend and my mom. I can tell them almost everything. My friend is more understanding because we are very similar.

Oh me too for sure. I used to be kind of all or nothing in expressing myself because I didn't for so long. Then I would be told things like I am way too sensitive and emotional. Then why ask how I'm feeling? So when people say they really want to know I sort of share in fragments to give the idea across but so they don't see me as being too emotional. At least all of the pure raw stuff can come out in my journal.

Oh goodness. My Fe gets used so much that I could sleep for days. As a matter of fact,

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Sarcasm the most, though I've tried to cut back. Doesn't carry a conversation and is ultimately an empty form of expression.

Creative the least. Reckon I'm just scared to talk about it. It comes from a vulnerable place.

The Most: Probably my critical thinking - I'm constantly analyzing and overthinking everything

The Least: Hm, I've gotten a lot more balanced these last few years so it's difficult to say. Maybe the explorer part of myself. I don't try new things or go to new places as often as I should.

Most expressed:
1.) Humour - I've found being the clown is a way of relaxing everyone so I generally try to use my sense of humour around people I'm close to, complete strangers and everything in between. It can be tricky though when I'm not in the mood for jokes. Although even then, I've found the clown act to be an effective way of stopping people from asking too many questions.
2.) Cynicism - There are plenty of examples of people being aholes in my life. I often generalise.

Least expressed:
1.) Love - I haven't really had any relationship yet so I keep daydreaming about being with a gf/wife. It's often the thing that gets me through the day.
2.) Ambition - There is a proud part of me that wants to achieve and contribute but it's generally blocked off by my low self confidence.