What kind of absolute bastard are you?

Cornerstone

May 31, 2012
London
MBTI
Pisces
Enneagram
Metal Goat
I've been doing some implicit bias tests lately and have found them quite interesting.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatouchtest.html

There's a load on there. I'm interested to see people's results. It turns out I'm pretty much everything except sexist. Although I'm not as homophobic as I am racist, transphobic, ageist, and fattist.

Have fun!

Oh, I'm also interested in what people think of these kind of tests.

Also, it'll ask you a load of questions but you can skip them all.

I tried it, thst was just weird :)

It is a bit strange. Did you complete one of the tests?

I don't know what I think of it. I wondered if reaction time would get slower toward the end of the test or would it be quicker once you get used to it. I think the neutral questions overcome that issue though a bit like on a lie detector or word association test.

Strong automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.
:expressionless:

It's embarrassingly noticeable once you're actually doing it - I slowed down when I had to match the 'incongruous' categories of 'black = good', and went much faster when those categories were 'white = good'.

I'm not sure that it indicates 'racism' as much as group selection mechanisms, though.

Reactions: acd and Cornerstone
I just got a strong preference for abled people over disabled people but I did get distracted and left a long pause on one question so might try it again.

The title and OP was just hyperbole but I got strong preference on most except the gay/straight was moderate and I think men/women science vs humanities was no preference either way.

:grimacing:
Slight preference for white people over black people.

And a slight preference for gay people over straight people.

Moderate preference for disabled people over abled people.

Last edited:
It is a bit strange. Did you complete one of the tests?

I don't know what I think of it. I wondered if reaction time would get slower toward the end of the test or would it be quicker once you get used to it. I think the neutral questions overcome that issue though a bit like on a lie detector or word association test.
I did complete it but not sure why the repeativeness dwindled so as the test wore on. Left clicks became right and vice versa...strange.

I did complete it but not sure why the repeativeness dwindled so as the test wore on. Left clicks became right and vice versa...strange.

I'm not sure what you mean. I think the switch in sides is to get a baseline maybe? I'm using my phone so the left button is further from my thumb being right-handed.

I have a slight preference for Trump over Roosevelt. I can't say I have any feelings toward Roosevelt at all though. He was behind the New Deal, right? Was he also president during WW2? I need an Attlee vs Thatcher one.

I'm not sure what you mean. I think the switch in sides is to get a baseline maybe? I'm using my phone so the left button is further from my thumb being right-handed.

I have a slight preference for Trump over Roosevelt. I can't say I have any feelings toward Roosevelt at all though. He was behind the New Deal, right? Was he also president during WW2? I need an Attlee vs Thatcher one.
That's the big issue when dealing with cross-cultural data. The authors of such tests rarely accomodate their audience, let alone write these tests on empirical data. Instead results end up false really because of the one-focus rather than a worldly focus.
I'm not sure what you mean
meaning I don't need a test to remind me I'm a miserable bastard, ;)

I would have to look more into the test, too. I don't use that type of language for people I actually dislike let alone groups of people so it was disconcerting. But the point is to test who you are willing to label in an instant. I thought I'd get mostly no preference but I'm not so woke apparently lol! I know for the disabled/abled test I was thinking a lot about people I work with and for the gay/straight I was thinking about friends I have who are gay. They were in the back of my mind so I think I hesitated there. For the black/white I was looking at the pictures a lot and couldn't help but try to read the facial expressions.
I think these are worthwhile tests to take and think about.

During the IAT you just completed:
Your responses suggested a slight automatic preference for White people over Black people.

I used to score no preference on this. Looks like I've gotten slightly more racist.

I always scored as strongly sexist though. We'll see if that's still true.

During the IAT you just completed:
Your responses suggested a strong automatic association for Male with Career and Female with Family.

Yup. Still got it :p

Last edited: