What is this INTJ thinking? Did she change her mind? | INFJ Forum

What is this INTJ thinking? Did she change her mind?

Feb 18, 2016
MBTI
INTJ
So, I had a crush on this INFJ classmate of mine. I did not manage to reason whether she was into me, so I had to gather further data by asking her out and seeing how it goes.

She said "yes," and gave me her phone number. For a week she hadn't responded to either my call or my text message. After a week she texted me to make an arrangement, and only after I used the word "date" did she say she was not interested in relationship. I was absolutely sure my intentions had been obvious[1], to which she replied they had, but she preferred to ignore it due to "wishful thinking" on her part. I interpreted this passive rejection of mine as insincerity, and fear of upsetting me face to face.

Now half a year had past. My policy has been to treat her as I treat anyone else---no better and no worse. I haven't initiated any form interaction with her, and we haven't spoken in person ever since. Nor have I stared at her, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen her face in person (while she was taking two classes with me).

A few days ago she started contacting me on Facebook about some project we are both (independently) working on, asking me about some of the most trivial aspects of it, including lots of textbook material. In itself, it seems rather usual of her---she asks other people for help all the time. And yet, I have sound evidence that she was uncomfortable with me in the past, and it now seems like the polar opposite. She has so far sent me dozens of messages, our conversation reaching over 4,000 words, and even proposed that we meet in person so that I could explain some stuff to her.

What on earth is she thinking? Did she change her mind? (Again?)

[1] It went something like this. "Hello. I'll get right into business. I think we have more things in common than statistically likely. So how about we do <specific activity> anytime next week?" If this isn't obvious enough, I made a remark about me preferring to avoid failure, but being willing to make risks when calculated, and gave my interaction with her as an example, then smiling.

Last edited:
Well if you are a true intj you probably come off as knowing what you are talking about so why wouldn't she be interested in talking to you? If you have treated her as you say then she likely believes you no longer have any interest in her or that she made herself clear in that shes not interested in you and that you accepted that and got on with your life.
The question now is, do you feel like you can be friends with her with no hope of anything more? If not I would be honest with her and say, "I like you but Im not interested in being just your friend. "

His entire post is oozing of INTJ. How could he not be INTJ? Nothing like wooing a woman by speaking of your interest in her as a calculated risk. And quantifying interest in word count! (INTJs are so awesome. For real.)

Stop regarding her as a problem or riddle to solve. Sounds like she is interacting with you in a way that is comfortable to her, so let her. Build up to a meet up. Maybe it will take 40,000 words.

Last edited:
An INTJ being very straightforward and matter-of-fact about wanting date, making the INFJ to run off scared and unsure if that's what she wants => it just takes forever for them to figure that out... Give it time. Meanwhile, you can see each other and just not call it dating (even if that's what it is).