What is in the President's best interest? | INFJ Forum

What is in the President's best interest?

MrWonka

Regular Poster
Mar 2, 2016
MBTI
INTJ
I've heard a lot of people including many Bernie supports say that they hate Hillary Clinton because she's only in it for her and she only does what's in her own best interest. Let's pretend that is actually the truth for a second. Why is that necessarily a bad thing? If you're the President of the United States what exactly is in your own best interest? Virtually everyone running for that office is already pretty wealthy, and already pretty famous.

The presidency comes with it a permanent place in history, but if you're a terrible president that screws the country over then you're just as likely to go down in infamy as you are to be seen as a great figure. I would argue that the president is always motivated to try and do what is in the best interest of the country. They don't all know what that is, but they are at least motivated to try. Even sociopaths have been known to do good deeds in order to take credit for them. Don't get me wrong I'd love an altruistic president, but realistically nobody is. Even Bernie Sanders wants his name in the history books. While I think Donald Trump is an absolute sociopath that would be an absolute disaster as president of historic proportions, I do believe wholeheartedly that he thinks that he can and will do what is best for the country. I'm 100% confident that he will try and make the American people happy with his presidency. He fail, but he will try.

Too me the real question you need to ask yourself when selecting a politician is not "what are their motivations and what are their goals?" The question you should be asking yourself is how are they going to go about achieving them and what would success look like in their minds? Like her or not what Hillary Clinton wants to achieve in terms of policy is not that much different than what Bernie wants. It might not be as extreme, but she does want universal health care. She does want to fix income inequality. She does want an economy that works for the middle class and lower income Americans.

Even if Hillary Clinton does want what's best for her the reality is that what's best for her is if 100 years from now little girls and boys open up their history books and read about the first female president and what an amazing job she did of leading the country during an incredibly difficult time. The only way that happens is if history reflects well on her time in office and the people believe she did what was in the best interest of the country. I have no idea if she'll be capable of accomplishing that, but I'm 100% certain that she's motivated to try.