What Are You Listening To Right Now (Part 15) | Page 395 | INFJ Forum

What Are You Listening To Right Now (Part 15)

Nobody ever talks about the cleverness of the lyrics themselves, they are extremely layered across their albums while also being simple on the surface.
Nevermind the way in which they construct the music, which is also purposefully simplistic in a masterful way.

And so for those who don’t pay much attention, the songs can become a fun sing-along. (true for some)

If you pay a bit of attention, you might think wink, wink, nudge, nudge, he’s clever/taking the piss/wisdom of the fool. (I don’t think this is true)

If you really pay attention, you realize how intentional it is, how he’s hiding in plain sight, and that you get rewarded for suspending preconception and looking deeper—like so much in life.

For me, the words alone are a treat, but when the lyrics are tied to the chord melody, and chord-bass tension, it’s next level because he knows how to step in both the melody and bass to highlight single words and turns of phrase for maximum impact. He makes it sound simple, but it is absolutely not, not at all.

You don’t sell 75 million records, win 5 Grammys, get nominated for 20, have your songs on Broadway, and have ardent fans across generations by accident!
Yaisse.gif

I don't like this video because it disrupts the song in overly dramatic ways though.

Agreed, so edited. :)

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Wyote
For me, the words alone are a treat, but when the lyrics are tied to the chord melody, and chord-bass tension, it’s next level because he knows how to step in both the melody and bass to highlight single words and turns of phrase for maximum impact. He makes it sound simple, but it is absolutely not, not at all.

You don’t sell 75 million records, win 5 Grammys, get nominated for 20, have your songs on Broadway, and have ardent fans across generations by accident!
Yaisse.gif

Couldn't have said it better.
Here's another one that does all of these things masterfully
(sorrynotsorry but if somebody mentions GD I will go on sharing a tirade :tearsofjoy: )

Reactions: aeon

Reactions: David Nelson