Vulnerable to what? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Vulnerable to what?

I learn best being in an argument or forum discussion.

That does help me get it down. But I first need to understand what I am talking about. It doesn't work as well when I am trying to look up facts and others beat me to the punch. I have a bad learning curve and I am pretty slow and deliberate when it comes to learning.

I consider kinesthetic learning to be the most effective way to learn anything. Theory says so anyway. Think of your hands as brain dentrites. If you can touch, manipulate, pound, etc. what you are reading about, then the material has experience to attach itself to--helped by the touching.

What does an introvert fear from letting people in? If someone knew that part of you that you are hiding, what would you be vulnerable to? Do you think they are going to attack you somehow?

Heart break and betrayal. I am afraid that if I let someone in, they would take me for granted and take adavantage of my trust, and simply walk away when I need them or betray me. It has happened before, and it's the reason why I build walls around my heart.

Other than that, I'm pretty open to people when it comes to other aspects in life. If they ask me about myself and they are someone i know on some level, then I'll answer gladly. I only avoid talking about myself, when I feel like i am not going to be coherent ,because it has caused misunderstandings before.

I don't usually hide alot from my friends or my family. And if I do, it's because I, myself, am not sure of what I want or how I feel. So, I retreat back into my introversion and figure things out, and once I do, I'm ready to interact and talk or answer questions. Or, I hide what drives me in life, things that keep me motivated, like a beleif or wish or purpose, then yes I would want to protect it from passer-bys and strangers, because it's what keeps me going.

I think the main reason behind my introversion is that I just really like to be inside my head, generating ideas, examining possibilities, and predicting and playing out scenarios.

Other than that, I'm pretty open to people when it comes to other aspects in life. If they ask me about myself and they are someone i know on some level, then I'll answer gladly. I only avoid talking about myself, when I feel like i am not going to be coherent ,because it has caused misunderstandings before.

I don't usually hide alot from my friends or my family. And if I do, it's because I, myself, am not sure of what I want or how I feel. So, I retreat back into my introversion and figure things out, and once I do, I'm ready to interact and talk or answer questions. Or, I hide what drives me in life, things that keep me motivated, like a beleif or wish or purpose, then yes I would want to protect it from passer-bys and strangers, because it's what keeps me going.

I think the main reason behind my introversion is that I just really like to be inside my head, generating ideas, examining possibilities, and predicting and playing out scenarios.

Yep. Similar.

My fears are similar to what Odyne mentioned. I am mostly concerned that someone I decide to trust will change their mind and leave. I don't want to get too emotionally invested if I think it may happen again. That being said, I do start to form attachments to people when I converse with them. It happens naturally.

The anxiety is moreso about that than it is about revealing any particular information or part of myself. I, like others have mentioned, am actually a pretty open person, otherwise, and will talk about almost anything if asked (and I feel the person asking is genuinely interested).

But, as others have also mentioned, that is not my only reason for introversion. I also just like withdrawing into myself to think. I like being alone because I can focus more easily and on only the things I am interested in.

Last edited:
What does an introvert fear from letting people in? If someone knew that part of you that you are hiding, what would you be vulnerable to? Do you think they are going to attack you somehow?

while fear of vunerability could be a reason for introversion, i think it's just more about a general life(style) preference. While there could be multiple [inferior] reasons for it, it's pretty simple that introverts just like to be alone to think things out. It's really a preference of how we think things through, and what "world" we're focused on, if you will.

Anyway, i don't know why I said all that, you already knew that. I guess bottom line is that it's a simple natural preference, not necessarily a fear of vunerability (though those can be present.)

Last edited:
I don't think it is really fear of some vulnerability. I think it has more to do with a lifetime of experience saying that almost no one will have the attention span to keep listening long enough for me to get to my point, and many times someone will draw a wildly inaccurate conclusion based on incomplete data and end up understanding me less than if I had said nothing.