Types of Love | INFJ Forum

Types of Love

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Here's a great site describing the types of love.

What types of love do you think are easily confused?

Which of the following types of love tends to feel more personally enriching to you?

http://nateperkins.com/kirbyguides/love.html

~*~*~ Styles of Love ~*~*~

Love is rarely (maybe even never) stable. It will fluctuate. Your own style of love may fluctuate throughout your life, and you may even have a different style of love with different people or in different stages of the same relationship.

One popular theory, created by sociologist John Lee, describes six different styles:

Eros Love: Refers to the romantic love that has tremendous passion, physical longing, deep intensity, and intimacy.

Ludus Love: Called the playful love. It is like the love of a knight for a princess. There are playful interactions here but little intimacy or deep intensity.

Storge Love: Exemplifies friendship-based love. There is strong companionship and shared values here but little physical intimacy.

Pragma Love: A combination of storge and ludus love. It refers to practical or logical love in which someone actively searches for a partner with certain characteristics.

Mania Love: A combination of eros and ludus love. It is also known as the troubled or obsessive love. This love has jealousy and dependence (often called co-dependency), great intensity, some intimacy, and many psychological symptoms related to the relationship.

Agape Love: Also a blend of two other types of love, eros and storge. This is the love of altruism, of giving without asking anything in return, and of sacrificing oneself for one's partner. Many would consider it to be the purest form of love. It is much easier to love humankind than an individual in this way.

Another one, created by Robert Sternberg, is called the Triangular Theory of Love. According to his theory, love is composed of three elements: Intimacy, passion, and decision/commitment. Each of these elements can be enlarged or diminished during the course of a relationship. And each element or combination of elements produces a different kind of love:

Nonlove: None of the elements.

Liking: Intimacy only. It forms the basis for close friendships but is not passionate or committed. Even so, liking is often an enduring kind of love. (Ex. Friendships)

Infatuation: Passion only. It is marked by sudden passion and a high degree of physical and emotional arousal. It tends to be obsessive and all-consuming. However, this passion is rarely returned equally. (Ex. Crushes, love at first sight, or some affairs)

Romantic love: Intimacy and passion. It is similar to liking except that it is more intense because of the physical or emotional attraction. It may begin as a friendship that intensifies into passion, a passion that also develops intimacy, or with the immediate union of the two components. (Ex. Dating relationships with no real commitment)

Companionate love: Intimacy and commitment. This is essential to a committed friendship. It also begins as romantic love, but transforms into companionate love as passion diminishes and intimacy increases. Some couples are satisfied with such love; others are not and may end the relationship or seek extrarelational affairs. (Ex. Good friends or married couples who no longer have passion for each other)

Fatuous love: Passion and commitment. This is the whirlwind love. Two people meet and the relationship develops quickly, resulting in cohabitation or engagement, and then marriage. Most of the time, the passion fades quickly, and all that is left is commitment. But that also fades with neither passion nor intimacy to help it endure. (Ex. Couples who quickly commit based on passion alone - often portrayed in Disney movies)

Empty love: Decision/commitment only. Some cultures will arrange marriages for financial or social reasons. Individuals will sometimes choose to marry for money or to please their family. This love also sometimes results in married couples who have lost either intimacy or passion or both, but stay together for the children, religion, society, etc. (Ex. Arranged marriages or deeply committed marriages)

Consummate love: Intimacy, passion, and commitment. It is the pinnacle of love, the kind we dream about. It takes work to maintain, which is why it is rare. Many expect this of their love relationships, but are often naive in that they expect it to last forever without actively maintaining each of the components. (Ex. You and your partner, hopefully!)

Reactions: kucala
from Wikipedia, and the Bible New Testament uses three of these: don't remember storge right off hand but it may use it, too.
I remember the one used as philos. I remember God's love as agape.

[h=1]Greek words for love[/h]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
There are several Greek words for love, as the Greek language distinguishes how the word is used. Ancient Greek has four distinct words for love: ag

Reactions: Gaze
I wonder what you call a love of child for its parents? Probably some kind of Pragma love - it is logical for child to love its parents, because it is so dependent on them.

I get the impression that Freudian psychology would imply that there is a lot of grey area between pragmatic and erotic love: and this because in some people eroticism is experienced as a need, to the extent that neediness may provoke erotic desire.

?

I'm curious about the idea that erotic love is not necessarily sexual love. Does this mean, sexual love should be given a different designation?

I'm curious about the idea that erotic love is not necessarily sexual love. Does this mean, sexual love should be given a different designation?

I suspect that sexual love is a species of erotic love; erotic love being the genus:

Types of erotic love:
* Sexual love.
* Love of appearance - or attraction to other's looks.
* Love intimacy - sometimes people can be wrapt up in writing love letters, without any desire to actually meet the other.
* Etc.

Agape : )

Attachments

• agape.jpg
    agape.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
Agape! Much more personally enriching.

The type of love in which you give without expecting anything in return is most freeing. Love which allows you to be free to be honest with someone and feel comfortable being your complete self is the most giving.

The type of love in which you give without expecting anything in return is most freeing. Love which allows you to be free to be honest with someone and feel comfortable being your complete self is the most giving.

I think it a special gift for someone to give without expecting, wanting, or needing anything in return. Most people get irritated when they don't even get a "thank you". I hold in the highest of regards the silent, behind the scenes giver; that person that wishes not to be known. An anonymous giver is the best giver at times, but the gift can mean so much more to the recipient sometimes knowing from whom it came. The giver has their reward in the giving.

Agape is something that most people strive for, the kind of love we dream about. I think it is especially appealing to INFJs because of the altruistic aspect; our Fe lends itself to giving for the benefit of others. Seeing the ones I love happy... there isn't much else I could ask for. Besides that, I think it is a concept so pure and all encompassing that it extends beyond the social construct of 'true romantic love' for one's significant other being the ultimate love- agape is something so universal and non discriminate that it can be felt in several forms, unthinkingly in some cases.

This leads me to think; what is love? Since there are so many types of it, would it be presumptuous to assume that love is the feelings derived from close and personal social interaction with other individuals?