Type compatibility | INFJ Forum

Type compatibility

philostam

Sep 10, 2019
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
(I apologise if similar threat already exists. If so, someone can direct me to and I'll delete this)

There's a lot of different theories floating around about what types are most and least compatible. Currently I find myself agreeing with this CS Joseph guy, who I don't particalury like, but I think is pretty accurate on this particular issue.

Basically for me, I'd say I get along the best with NJs. I really love Ni and I love Te and Fe. I don't particulary like Fi (if it's too high), because I consider Fi doms pretty selfish and self obsessed. I don't particulary appreciate Ti as well, because I see Ti types as very argumentative and nitpicking (as I am myself, but I'm trying to tone it down).

Here are some of my observations about my compatibility with certain types:

INFJ: I already discussed, great emotional connection, average to good intellectual
INTJ: great intellectual connection. I love how rational they are. But sometimes the atmopshere is very heavy. Not a lot of joking going on
ENTJ: like INTJ, but I feel more relaxed around them, I feel they are a bit lighter
ENFJ: I consider them more rational then INFJ. In my expereince are less stubborn. They are not such good listeners as INFJs though.
NP's: not my favourite, probably get along with ENFP the best

Out of sensors, I get along very well with ESTJ and ISFP/ESFP. I absolutely cannot stand ISFJ and ESFJ over long periods of time. The chemistry at the beginning is actually quite good, but we're not compatible at all over long term. All of my ex girlfriends were ESFJ. Quite a lot of laughter at the beginning, but it quickly turns into ressentment.

What about you guys, which types do you get along with and why.

INTJ's are definitely the most fascinating type to me. They are simply intellectual giants. They understand all of my theories in a second, like they already thought about it a long time ago. They grasp the essence of what I want to say like no one else.They also don't point out some minor flaws that might be wrong with it (INFJs can be guilty of that).They are really non-contrarian. I feel they judge less than INFJs.

Also, there is something very grounded about them, I feel lall of their judgements come from their own direct experience and not from books. I learned a lot from them and became a better thinker myself.

I plan to write something longer about them about the future, because they really fascinate me :)

I don't think it's helpful at all to look at people this way. People surprise us. I have a co-worker that I'm really close to now. About a year ago we were bored at a networking event and got to talking about mbti. I was really surprised to find she was an ESFJ. I thought she was an INFJ actually! It's hard to say specifically which types I'm not compatible with. People go through different phases and continue to develop throughout their lives.

I agree 100%.

However, I think that if we accept the concept of cognitive functions we are allowed to follow the concept to its natural conclusion and ask ourselves about what functions are compatible with eachother. Maybe more like a mental excerise then an actual rule to obey. Of course I don't recommend anyone to choose friends based on MBTI theory.

I agree 100%.

However, I think that if we accept the concept of cognitive functions we are allowed to follow the concept to its natural conclusion and ask ourselves about what functions are compatible with eachother. Maybe more like a mental excerise then an actual rule to obey. Of course I don't recommend anyone to choose friends based on MBTI theory.
What's the point of considering type compatibility then? To say you don't like certain types but you're still open to getting to know and befriend them even? Doesn't that kind of do away with compatibility based on type? Because then you find you're compatible with those individuals anyway.

I'm just a bit leery of using type to try to determine compatibility in relationships or jobs as some employers are even moving that way. It seems limiting and discounting. Maybe you have a point but I can't help but focus on exceptions to rules.

I just realized it was maybe a mistake on my part to say i dislike Fi. But I thought that saying I dislike Ti as well (my own function) would reduce the negative reaction.

But to answer your (valid) question: I simply like making mental frameworks and systems. And If it so happens that I see and exeption to my structure, I'll simply adapt it. Let's say I have an internal "rule" that I don't get along with ISFJ, but then I meet one that proves me wrong - fair enough, it just proved that my rule was rubbish.

I have plenty of frameworks but it's all pretty much adaptable.

(I apologise if similar threat already exists. If so, someone can direct me to and I'll delete this)

There's a lot of different theories floating around about what types are most and least compatible. Currently I find myself agreeing with this CS Joseph guy, who I don't particalury like, but I think is pretty accurate on this particular issue.

Basically for me, I'd say I get along the best with NJs. I really love Ni and I love Te and Fe. I don't particulary like Fi (if it's too high), because I consider Fi doms pretty selfish and self obsessed. I don't particulary appreciate Ti as well, because I see Ti types as very argumentative and nitpicking (as I am myself, but I'm trying to tone it down).

Here are some of my observations about my compatibility with certain types:

INFJ: I already discussed, great emotional connection, average to good intellectual
INTJ: great intellectual connection. I love how rational they are. But sometimes the atmopshere is very heavy. Not a lot of joking going on
ENTJ: like INTJ, but I feel more relaxed around them, I feel they are a bit lighter
ENFJ: I consider them more rational then INFJ. In my expereince are less stubborn. They are not such good listeners as INFJs though.
NP's: not my favourite, probably get along with ENFP the best

Out of sensors, I get along very well with ESTJ and ISFP/ESFP. I absolutely cannot stand ISFJ and ESFJ over long periods of time. The chemistry at the beginning is actually quite good, but we're not compatible at all over long term. All of my ex girlfriends were ESFJ. Quite a lot of laughter at the beginning, but it quickly turns into ressentment.

What about you guys, which types do you get along with and why.

I’m an INFJ and have similar experiences like you. However I can get along with all types if I want and especially when I’m in the right mood for it.

I connect with N types and often have heart to heart friendships with them as in soulmate relationships.
S types on the other hand they can become good friends and we get along well but never like heart to heart. Most S types I know connect with others by doing some kind of activity together. I really enjoy their company if we do something together, hiking, some kind of project etc with an ESFJ.