[Triggered] Safe Spaces And SJW Fragility | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[Triggered] Safe Spaces And SJW Fragility

It might be worth adding that I don't live in America, but in a far away part of the world that is different in many ways.

Thank you for engaging in this topic with the amount of care and rigor that you have

Sometimes I wonder if those who are calling for trigger warnings would be better served by a regimen of benzodiazepines and therapy. ;)

My apologies in advance if that triggered anyone. :p

I experienced some bad shit in the past, and in some ways I’m a bit neurotic, and for sure, trauma-informed stress disorders and dissociative episodes are none too pleasant.

But I never once had the idea that anyone else was responsible for maintaining my fragile bubble of happiness, much less anything else that was mine and that I was responsible for.

I mean, I’m a special snowflake and a tender flower, but that doesn’t get me anything other than easy bruises.

I’m not sure if I am a realist in this, or unfeeling, or what, but the idea of a “trigger warning” is both irritating and reason to laugh.

Cheers,
Ian

Many times I have noticed people shutting down discussions, where the purpose of interaction is to discuss, with dismissals such as "Fucking Feminazis" or "Typical Social Justice Warriors", with the conviction that it is perhaps acceptable to publicise any discriminatory attitude whatsoever because free speech and because free speech so there. This type of response means nothing, is purposeless, advances conversation in no direction whatsoever. The problems of conducting a classroom are relevant to classrooms, I just wonder how relevant they are to other interactions.

I think this is the most important element in this mess. The labels used are often also intended to induce a "triggered reaction." For example, the word Fragility is now being injected into the conversation as a way to subversively deny discourse by calling people who disagree "fragile," like a "fragile sjw" or "fragile cis white male" which in the context of arguments is basically like calling somebody a racial slur and then tacking on "weak" to it because the racial slur wasn't enough of an insult anymore.

As far as how relevant it all is to other interactions, well it is beginning to creep its way into the workforce. Managers are starting to have a hell of a time dealing with employees. People growing up not understanding how to deal with conflict in a mature way is beginning to affect businesses in interesting ways. Some of the results of this could potentially be positive, but that remains to be seen. Change is hard. How we actively engage in reform is slowly changing because of social media and globalization. I think a lot of this hoopla is honestly growing pains of humanity in some respects. Tough to say how things will morph.

It's an abhorrently disgusting victimization mentality that is better served through therapy and not in our social institutions. There are important and relevant issues that should be discussed, but these coercion tactics have no place in them.

I've been trying to sort through this in my mind to figure out why I even give it the mental space that I do.

I think it has to do with the fact that I am so utterly removed from the concept of desiring some sort of "safe space" provided by somebody else. I fully support each person having an ability to create their own safe space and if you want to attempt to co-mingle in some sort of attempt at a safe space orgy, so be it. But I actively pursue things that make me uncomfortable. Like, I've seen some shit man. Believe it or not, it didn't kill me or give me PTSD or anything.

When did protecting yourself from boogie men become so important? There's some fucked up shit {triggered} in the world and you are much better off learning what you are up against rather than burying your head in the sand and just hoping it all away. It's not going anywhere. Give yourself strength. Give yourself a safe space. Nobody else can.

I think people should aim more for judgment free spaces rather than safe spaces; if a person is upset by something, if a person is triggered by something in a way that is relevant to trauma, then that is for that person alone to say, free of judgment... it's dragging everyone else into responsibility for it that is the problem.

Reactions: Asa and Skarekrow
I think people should aim more for judgment free spaces rather than safe spaces

I think these are the same, at least in the mind of people that have this desire. The problem is, as soon as you seek another human for counsel you are no longer judgment free.
We have to learn that judgment is a part of life. If you seek counsel you also seek judgment. Harshness is relative. We don't enjoy harsh judgment and I don't think most people desire to genuinely harm others, especially in situations of trust.
I propose something like a Trust Space. It is essentially the same thing but the language we use has a great influence on our perceptions. Everyone trusts that they are not there to cause harm. If you feel your trust has been broken then you are responsible for confronting this issue in a way that does not break more trust within the group and/or leaving to make a statement.

it's dragging everyone else into responsibility for it that is the problem

Yea. You can't force others to be responsible for your reactions and your feelings. It's just impractical and in many cases impossible.

Of course, there is value judgment, which is always safe.

And there is moral judgment, which is not.

Cheers,
Ian

I don't need a microwave because I am already heated.

Interesting. I haven't thought of it and realize I am largely unaware of how tenure is helpful. Perhaps we should leave universities to govern themselves?

I agree it's a really interesting problem. With multiple dimensions of private/public utility/business ownership/direction as you mention.

I just really noticed at the moment, my friend who is an educator at a university is under a mass of pressure to serve students as satisfiable customers, as the university is increasingly being run like a competitive business model.

Reactions: Jet and Asa
This is a great video full of interesting findings. It's important to understand your own leanings. Self-awareness is key.

Reactions: Jet and CindyLou
I find the idea that SJW culture is akin to a religion very interesting. I think that it is more like a cult though in that it alters the fundamental way that its members think. This is not to say that their values are inherently wrong, but that there are more important things, such as free speech. In addition, being someone who is undergoing CBT, I can say that the SJW culture does in fact go against everything CBT stands for.

Reactions: Wyote
I find the idea that SJW culture is akin to a religion very interesting. I think that it is more like a cult though in that it alters the fundamental way that its members think. This is not to say that their values are inherently wrong, but that there are more important things, such as free speech. In addition, being someone who is undergoing CBT, I can say that the SJW culture does in fact go against everything CBT stands for.

cbt?

This is a great video full of interesting findings. It's important to understand your own leanings. Self-awareness is key.

Wow, I found that fking fascinating. I have to think about this for a bit. Great video.

Reactions: Wyote