Train Fe? | INFJ Forum

Train Fe?

knight in battle

Feb 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Lenore Thompson claims that we are to train our secondary function (for INFJs, it's Fe).
So how do we do it? Just by noticing other people's feelings and acting in a way that accords with them?

Talk to the trainer in Whiterun. She will level it for you for some gold.

Jk.

It's hard to actively train a function and especially a judging (Fe, Te, Fi, Ti) one. It's usually something that comes naturally and with time. However, you can try to pay more attention the the emotional state of a group, its dynamics, what they value, how to fit in, etc. A "group" can be anything, to a real group of people to a culture or whatever.

I would like to hear thoughts and ideas on this; my Fe is underdeveloped for my age and I would like to strengthen it, particularly in relation to the dominant.

Two paths; Observation and Participation.

Observation:
observe the group dynamics; what are their position; 'legally' (in the office, for instance), and 'socially'? How do they move inside the group? Who hates who, likes who, admires who, etc, etc, etc; and WHY? Make around 3-5 points about the circumstances which affected how A sees B (for example; 1) because B is extraordinarily kind, 2) because A apparently has some affiliations to the group B supported, 3) because A and B have the same backgrounds, 4) because A and B have similar methods of doing things (this is where MBTI knowledge can come to handy), 5) because A and B both hated C.) And from those circumstances; think deeper; ask again, why, why, why.

See the facets from everything; how they affected our behaviors to one another (which, whether they use Fe or not, throws Fe threads around.). Psychology, politics, socioeconomic conditions around; experiences, values, beliefs; recent happenings, present condition, future plans and hopes; what we learn, feel, experience; etc, etc, etc.

See the values contained within statements. When you read a comment in a website; a post in a forum, an article in the newspaper; think about (mainly) 2 things:
a) what does the speaker believe? How and Why?
b) what is the moral of the story? What do they want us to believe? How and Why?
Make it as neutral as possible. Being biased will still help your Fe, but it will grow into something equally biased.

Learn to see things from another side; from the other side of my belief, what would make people think that their value is right; their belief is right? Again, try to be as neutral as possible. (for example, if you're an atheist, try to think just WHY people go to religion. Vice versa. Of if you're a gay activist; try to ponder about why some people chose to be-- not blatantly homophobic, just opposed to gay marriage, for example.)

Learn some Ne / train our Ni, and try to find new spin on things; new facet on things. You may know one thing or another about this behavior and another, but are there another side of things we don't know?

Learn about human psychology; see where it applies to our everyday life, but DON'T JUDGE IT YET.

In one way these will also train our Ti.

Last edited:
Now Participation.

Learn how to talk to people; how to -actually- express our values and truths to them. By learning how to express our values to them with tact and grace and clarity, we will learn a lot of things (what should I say to not offend them? To not make them confused? What will offend them? What will confuse them? What will touches them? At which point will I start to descent into insincerity? etc, etc.)

Talk more to people; but aim to be a listener. Direct meeting with people will feel different compared to indirectly observing them. Learn to -reply- and -ask-, rather than -talk- and -question-.

Making some hypothetical case does help, in a way.

Think about these things:
a) What do these people want from them? Why? What drives them so that they want that from me?
b) What do -I- want from them? Why? What affects me?
again, be neutral. This isn't an attempt to boost / fix / develop your relationship...that being said; If you -want- to go personal and get attached; you can think about:
c) What do I have and what can I give them? Will they like it?

Joining some social organization (which does seem to be more prevalent here in the US?) helps too.

Train Se, and be open to everything. Open your heart, your mind, and eye, and experience. :)