To what degree does MBTI encourage us to over-generalize? | INFJ Forum

To what degree does MBTI encourage us to over-generalize?

Kronk

One
Dec 15, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Hey so I've found MBTI to be pretty entertaining for quite some time and I go on and off as far as how interested I am in it. My INTP friend and I often enjoy discussing it and using it to analyze our social-circles in different ways. I wonder though, does anyone ever get frustrated constantly trying to use these limited parameters to measure people? It seems to me that it's an ongoing battle trying to keep my growing understanding of MBTI consistent with what I know of the people that I apply it to. For instance, I took the test about two years ago and got ENFP. Since then I determined that I am most certainly an I. Just recently I further discovered that I am probably also a J. I find it very entertaining trying to type the people I know and see if the system works out, but in some cases I wonder if some data which I am totally unaware of will constantly shift my views/typings of people. This makes me also wonder whether the types are satisfactory in describing an individual in the first place.
My method of trying to conquer this uncertainty has been to try and type lots of different people and talk to them about what they think they are, as well as read a variety of sources in confirming each type. Obviously, I could never actually get enough data to accurately assess the scopes and limitations myers-briggs, still I find the quest interesting. Does anyone else make an efforts to do this? What have you found?

Side note: As INFJs, does anyone find that they are able to separate themselves from their defining characteristics such as gender/class/race quite easily?

One of the things I dislike about the way people tend to use MBTI is grouping personality with behavior. Eventually, it leads to something like 'it wasn't me! It was my personality type.' I don't think any serious psychologist would agree with personality types being used that way. We are all in control of our own destinies-- although extroverted tasks such as giving speeches or sharing your thoughts with others (being put on the spot) may be exhausting for INFJ and INTJ personality types, we can still do so and practice makes it easier.

About generalizations: I think it is true that generalizations on behavior can be made for different personality types. They can even have a certain accuracy, but keep in mind that you are making a blanket statement on a large, diverse group of people. Personalty types aren't behavioral types, and they cannot always explain why we act the way we act. Personality types instead explain how our brain processes information. INFJ's tend to process information at an intuitive level which cannot be verbalized. We often express ourselves using our feelings, and occasionally with our awful sensing; however, our intuition and thinking (but even moreso our intuition) is kept locked away inside, and I know I have a hard time sharing that part of myself with others.

From my perspective, it is easy to tell that I am an introverted intuitive (INFJ, INTJ). If you are one, you just kind of know it, and once you know it, your main extroverted function will indicate whether you are an F or a T. Think about how you often express yourself, and what is easier. Is it easier to express yourself with your feelings or your thoughts?

As a side note, many INFJ's are mistaken to be extraverts, but we are true introverts. We do however, love to help people-- especially people we care about or consider with high regard.

-

Edit:

I guess after reading your post again, I didn't really answer your question. Yes, I often separate myself from the 'characteristics' of an INFJ personality type (although some characteristics fit me like a glove). I think one of the unique things about INFJ personality types is it is very hard to pigeonhole our behaviors. While we are a nice personality type, we certainly aren't the nicest personality type. I for one have a low tolerance for people who I believe are wasting my time. Often times, I will disregard what people tell me without even considering it (I guess you could call this stubbornness). Things like that make me an INFJ at the end of the day.

Last edited:
MBTI is fun. That's all it is. The similarities between MBTI groups though boils down to how their brain ticks, solves problems, and deals with situations, nothing more.

The amount of "will my boyfriend like me because he's ENTP?", "do all INFJs like dark chocolate?", and "I'm super smart so I must be an 'X' type" threads are quite frankly ridiculous.

Reactions: Annabreher
MBTI is fun. That's all it is. The similarities between MBTI groups though boils down to how their brain ticks, solves problems, and deals with situations, nothing more.

The amount of "will my boyfriend like me because he's ENTP?", "do all INFJs like dark chocolate?", and "I'm super smart so I must be an 'X' type" threads are quite frankly ridiculous.

Perhaps all INFJs solve their problems by gorging on some dark chocolate?

The basic information readily accessible on the MBTI, which is just a tool employing Carl Jung's theories, are generalizations. Internet profiles tend to describe types who only use their top two functions instead of the standard four; because the bottom two are essentially refineries for the first two, not using them is extremely limiting. This makes the Forer Effect very easily applicable and blanket statements even easier. So, "a great deal" is the answer to this thread's title. People are humans first, "things" second.