Ti vs. Fe

Gaze

Donor
MBTI
INFPishy
According to the Mental Muscle Diagram Test, i have a high Ti -21 and a relatively low Fe-13. And Ti is the second highest behind Ni. Now, i'm not sure how accurate the test is, and that's not really what i'm interested in. I'm only using the results as a background for a question about the use of Ti and Fe, and how they relate or interact separately or together in different situations.

The way i've come to understand the significance of the Ti vs. Fe distinction in my life (as an example) is that i'm not very effective when i'm most concerned or having to exercise Fe vs. Ti. It sometimes would seem to minimize my productivity when i'm having to be too concerned about getting along with others or focusing on feelings or even being compassionate. Not sure if this is really related to functions or it's simply a personal difficulty balancing expectations.

I exercise Fe online quite well it seems, but it means i suppress Ti quite a bit, because basing or responding to Ti only sacrifices necessary Fe. When i'm having to be concerned about what others feel or think of my performance in an area, my Ti is suppressed and becomes weak, leading me to focus on improving Fe, but undermining Ti. Not sure whether this is the correct or typical way these functions are expected to work together.

It's quite difficult to exercise both at once, which probly has more to do with the fact that they are opposing processes i think. Someone can correct me on this.

The above was simply to provide a background.

But does anyone else struggle with balancing Ti + Fe effectively. How do you see them working with or against the other day to day, in job, personal, or social life?

Last edited:
The first and most important thing to take into consideration with that test is that its testing method polarizes the cognitive function pairs against one another, rather than scoring them individually. It's not especially accurate across the board because of this, and if you're an INFJ who is in the phase of development where you're focusing on your Ti, you're going to show a Ti > Fe polarization.

As for struggling to balance Ti and Fe? I think this is one of the INFJ's primary struggles because we have them as our secondary and tertiary functions. When two judging functions are so close together with respect to preference, they have a strong tendency to blend.

ENFJs have as little struggle with Fe and Ti as we do between Ni and Se because these functions are very distant (and this principle is what the Mental Muscle test is based on). INTJs on the other hand have a similar struggle between Te and Fi (which is the actual reason they are so brilliant as these are very polar left and right brained functions creating a very dynamic reasoning process) as we do with Fe and Ti.

Once an INFJ develops their Ti, they will have to struggle with it until they also develop a solid Te and Fi to create a balance that allows their Fe to assert control, leaning with Te or Fi when need be.

The best advice I can give here is when they struggle, let your Ni be the deciding factor. It is an amazingly neutral third party, and as your dominant function, is the most mature of the bunch. In any case of indecision between Ti logic and Fe beliefs, let Ni decide. Simply stop thinking and feeling about the subject and your Ni will pop the answer into your mind a few moments later.

I notice that I struggle with this as well. My Fe and Ti are in constantly in conflict. One part of me wants to connect with people and share my feelings with others but the other wants to know the logic behind what I feel and how others and myself don't always make sense in what we do and say. Inconsistencies bother me a lot but I don't point them out to people because I just know how they are going to react and their reaction in someway I can feel it on my own feelings. It's horrible for me to make others feel bad and in a way it's the reason that if I make others feel bad I'll feel worse since I can pick up the feelings of others. So the paradox is there.

yeah, i guess it makes sense. But when you're in a professional position where you cannot act entirely on Ti, such as teaching, where it's necessary to balance both effectively, it can be difficult to know how much to give in both. Being too Fe may sacrifice focus on what's important about a subject matter, a task which requires Ti. While, emphasizing Ti may sacrifice focus on the aspects of Fe which are important for effective interaction in a public or interpersonal situation.

Last edited:
yeah, i guess it makes sense. But when you're in a professional possition where you cannot act entirely on Ti, such as teaching, where it's necessary to balance both effectively, it can be difficult to know how much to give in both. Being too Fe may sacrifice focus on what's important about a subject matter, a task which requires Ti. While, emphasizing Ti may sacrifice focus on the aspects of Fe which are important for effective interaction in a public or interpersonal situation.

So, are you a teacher?

Being too Fe may sacrifice focus on what's important about a subject matter, a task which requires Ti.

Actually, "focus on what's important about a subject matter" is a function of Te, which keeps in check how everything relates on a logical level.

Ti would be focusing on the details of how a subject works, without regard to how the details relate to the big picture. It's the 'nerdy' function that likes to give too much information.

NTPs and STPs might be the most notorious types for TMI because of the Ti dominance.

Actually, "focus on what's important about a subject matter" is a function of Te, which keeps in check how everything relates on a logical level.

Ti would be focusing on the details of how a subject works, without regard to how the details relate to the big picture. It's the 'nerdy' function that likes to give too much information.

NTPs and STPs might be the most notorious types for TMI because of the Ti dominance.

Hmm. *still thinking*

Back