Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
World
US 'removes Patriot anti-missile system from Saudi Arabia' amid oil dispute
Josie Ensor
The TelegraphMay 7, 2020, 1:44 PM EDT

ab57e3fa350826e256925fd65e1d3cac

Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy seen harassing US Navy ships in the Persian Gulf - US Navy
The US is removing its Patriot anti-missile system from Saudi Arabia, according to reports, amid strained relations between the allies over oil production.

Washington is removing four of its missile batteries along with dozens of military personnel it had sent to the kingdom to combat the threat from Iran, following a devastating attack on Saudi’s oil facilities.

According to the Wall Street Journal, quoting US officials, it will also consider a reduction in the US Navy presence in the Persian Gulf.

The paper reported that the decision followed a reassessment by the Pentagon of the threat Tehran posed, no longer deeming it to be an immediate risk to US strategic interests.

The Trump administration has led a “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran, escalating tensions between the two to their highest level in decades.

A September drone attack on Abqaiq oil field, which was widely blamed on the Islamic Republic, crippled the world’s largest oil processing plant and sent prices spiralling.

0ef0ea35ed9240bff3f8128da32adbc8

Oil Processing Plant in Saudi Arabia, the largest plant of its kind in the world, which was hit in a rocket and drone attack - Julian Sommonds for The Telegraph
In the preceding months, Iran seized a British oil tanker in the Persian Gulf and detained a number of dual nationals that took it to the brink of war with the West.

Only last month, the head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said they would destroy American warships if they threaten its vessels in the Strait.

A video released by the US Navy showed small Iranian speedboats harassing the American ships.

However, the decision also came as the allies came to blows after Saudi initiated an oil price war in retaliation for Russia’s refusal to back Riyadh’s calls for deep output cuts.

Oil prices started to retreat in January and February as Covid-19 marched across the globe, decimating demand. But they fell off a cliff in March after the move by Saudi.

The resulting market carnage roiled US shale oil producers, who described the move as “economic warfare.”

Mr Trump has been anxious to protect the American oil industry from a historic price meltdown. Saudi, for its part, claimed it had not intended for US oil producers to suffer.

President Donald Trump last month privately gave Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman an ultimatum - start cutting oil production or see a withdrawal of US troops.

Reuters reported that threatened to upend a 75-year strategic alliance was central to the US pressure campaign that led to a landmark global deal to slash oil supply as demand collapsed in the pandemic.

Asked what he told Prince Mohammed, Mr Trump said: “I met telephonically with him, and we were able to reach a deal for production cuts.”

Neither the Pentagon, nor Riyadh, immediately responded to the requests for comment.

The Trump administration has led a “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran, escalating tensions between the two to their highest level in decades.
Between which "two"?
The US will learn one day to listen to the citizens affected by such decision makers.

Reactions: David54
seems that with a worldwide glut of oil, their oil is not really that important anymore, just a thought. . maybe we should tell them they are on their own. and I seem to remember is was saudi's involved in 9/11. . so why we hold up that third rate bedowin tent is beyond me

Reactions: Reason and Ren
Our aircraft carriers are not the same muscle as they are during war. The cost of oil should tell us to cut production. Many are moving from working on oil platforms. When costs are higher than prices gained, it makes little sense to produce.

Underlying problems exist. SA has the 12th largest air power in the world. Guess who sold them much of that? China and Saudi Arabia have been controlling much of the value of our currency for decades. Now a small war for control of Libya's oil.

...and the beat goes on

Between which "two"?
The US will learn one day to listen to the citizens affected by such decision makers.

They call it voting.

I'd like to smash a hand with something when they are caught stealing for some reason other than starvation. Saudi Arabia cuts off a hand. If caught twice? You guessed it.

Capital punishment has its place in a community that has stopped raising their children properly, stopped correcting them properly, stopped teaching them values. People just don't steal in Saudi Arabia very often. It happens every day in America because of the teachings and slack corrections. Wisdom is justified of her children.

Should our leaders listen to its citizens regarding everything, I would move. Guess that would mean we should overthrow Saudi Arabia and make them lose the monarchy?

They call it voting.
Missed answering my question. :wink:
It was in regards to the Iranian, Saudi, and American love triangle in your post, not Dems & Republicans.

Reactions: David54
Missed answering my question. :wink:
It was in regards to the Iranian, Saudi, and American love triangle in your post, not Dems & Republicans.

Maybe when I have a spare couple of hours...

Reactions: Sandie33
upload_2020-5-24_20-27-37.png

Love to watch the rich play "supply and demand", controlling their prices.

Last edited: