The writings of Paul | INFJ Forum

The writings of Paul

Kmal

Jan 21, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8 sx/sp
A controversial writer indeed, starting out persecuting Christians and ended up being a very wealth of knowledge and love.
His conversion--
Acts 9: said:
1 And Saul, yet breathing of threatening and slaughter to the disciples of the Lord, having gone to the chief priest, 2 did ask from him letters to Damascus, unto the synagogues, that if he may find any being of the way, both men and women, he may bring them bound to Jerusalem. 3 And in the going, he came nigh to Damascus, and suddenly there shone round about him a light from the heaven, 4 and having fallen upon the earth, he heard a voice saying to him, 'Saul, Saul, why me dost thou persecute?' 5 And he said, 'Who art thou, Lord?' and the Lord said, 'I am Jesus whom thou dost persecute; hard for thee at the pricks to kick;' 6 trembling also, and astonished, he said, 'Lord, what dost thou wish me to do?' and the Lord said unto him, 'Arise, and enter into the city, and it shall be told thee what it behoveth thee to do.' 7 And the men who are journeying with him stood speechless, hearing indeed the voice but seeing no one, 8 and Saul arose from the earth, and his eyes having been opened, he beheld no one, and leading him by the hand they brought him to Damascus, 9 and he was three days without seeing, and he did neither eat nor drink.

And there was a certain disciple in Damascus, by name Ananias, and the Lord said unto him in a vision, 'Ananias;' and he said, 'Behold me, Lord;'11 and the Lord saith unto him, 'Having risen, go on unto the street that is called Straight, and seek in the house of Judas, one by name Saul of Tarsus, for, lo, he doth pray, 12 and he saw in a vision a man, by name Ananias, coming in, and putting a hand on him, that he may see again.' 13 And Ananias answered, 'Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how many evils he did to Thy saints in Jerusalem, 14 and here he hath authority from the chief priests, to bind all those calling on Thy name.' 15 And the Lord said unto him, 'Be going on, because a choice vessel to Me is this one, to bear My name before nations and kings -- the sons also of Israel; 16 for I will shew him how many things it behoveth him for My name to suffer.'17 And Ananias went away, and did enter into the house, and having put upon him his hands, said, 'Saul, brother, the Lord hath sent me -- Jesus who did appear to thee in the way in which thou wast coming -- that thou mayest see again, and mayest be filled with the Holy Spirit.' 18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it were scales, he saw again also presently, and having risen, was baptized, 19 and having received nourishment, was strengthened, and Saul was with the disciples in Damascus certain days, 20 and immediately in the synagogues he was preaching the Christ, that he is the Son of God. 21 And all those hearing were amazed, and said, 'Is not this he who laid waist in Jerusalem those calling on this name, and hither to this intent had come, that he might bring them bound to the chief priests?' 22 And Saul was still more strengthened, and he was confounding the Jews dwelling in Damascus, proving that this is the Christ.

And when many days were fulfilled, the Jews took counsel together to kill him, 24 and their counsel against him was known to Saul; they were also watching the gates both day and night, that they may kill him, 25 and the disciples having taken him, by night did let him down by the wall, letting down in a basket.

And Saul, having come to Jerusalem, did try to join himself to the disciples, and they were all afraid of him, not believing that he is a disciple, 27 and Barnabas having taken him, brought him unto the apostles, and did declare to them how in the way he saw the Lord, and that he spake to him, and how in Damascus he was speaking boldly in the name of Jesus. 28 And he was with them, coming in and going out in Jerusalem, 29 and speaking boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, he was both speaking and disputing with the Hellenists, and they were taking in hand to kill him, 30 and the brethren having known, brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him forth to Tarsus.

Then, indeed, the assemblies throughout all Judea, and Galilee, and Samaria, had peace, being built up, and, going on in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.

Last edited:
Reactions: grt$5vb
Probably my favorite writer.

@purplecrayons Probably mine too, though it's tough to say, they're all good! I was going to post his writing in chronological order, but you have a Bible for that. These are the most interesting passages in my opinion.
1 Corinthians 1:10 And I call upon you, brethren, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that the same thing ye may all say, and there may not be divisions among you, and ye may be perfected in the same mind, and in the same judgment, 11 for it was signified to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe, that contentions are among you; 12 and I say this, that each one of you saith, 'I, indeed, am of Paul' -- 'and I of Apollos,' -- 'and I of Cephas,' -- 'and I of Christ.' 13 Hath the Christ been divided? was Paul crucified for you? or to the name of Paul were ye baptized; 14 I give thanks to God that no one of you did I baptize, except Crispus and Gaius -- 15 that no one may say that to my own name I did baptize; 16 and I did baptize also Stephanas' household -- further, I have not known if I did baptize any other. 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but -- to proclaim good news; not in wisdom of discourse, that the cross of the Christ may not be made of none effect;18 for the word of the cross to those indeed perishing is foolishness, and to us -- those being saved -- it is the power of God,
19 for it hath been written, 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the intelligence of the intelligent I will bring to nought;'
20 where is the wise? where the scribe? where a disputer of this age? did not God make foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 for, seeing in the wisdom of God the world through the wisdom knew not God, it did please God through the foolishness of the preaching to save those believing.22 Since also Jews ask a sign, and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 also we -- we preach Christ crucified, to Jews, indeed, a stumbling-block, and to Greeks foolishness, 24 and to those called -- both Jews and Greeks -- Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God, 25 because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men;
26 for see your calling, brethren, that not many are wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27 but the foolish things of the world did God choose, that the wise He may put to shame; and the weak things of the world did God choose that He may put to shame the strong; 28 and the base things of the world, and the things despised did God choose, and the things that are not, that the things that are He may make useless --29 that no flesh may glory before Him; 30 and of Him ye -- ye are in Christ Jesus, who became to us from God wisdom, righteousness also, and sanctification, and redemption, 31 that, according as it hath been written, 'He who is glorying -- in the Lord let him glory.'

1 Corinthians 2:10 but to us did God reveal them through His Spirit, for the Spirit all things doth search, even the depths of God, 11 for who of men hath known the things of the man, except the spirit of the man that is in him? so also the things of God no one hath known, except the Spirit of God. 12 And we the spirit of the world did not receive, but the Spirit that is of God, that we may know the things conferred by God on us, 13 which things also we speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Holy Spirit, with spiritual things spiritual things comparing,
14 and the natural man doth not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for to him they are foolishness, and he is not able to know them, because spiritually they are discerned; 15 and he who is spiritual, doth discern indeed all things, and he himself is by no one discerned; 16 for who did know the mind of the Lord that he shall instruct Him? and we -- we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians is definitely one of my favorite books.

1 Corinthians 3:5 Who, then, is Paul, and who Apollos, but ministrants through whom ye did believe, and to each as the Lord gave? 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was giving growth; 7 so that neither is he who is planting anything, nor he who is watering, but He who is giving growth -- God; 8 and he who is planting and he who is watering are one, and each his own reward shall receive, according to his own labour, 9 for of God we are fellow-workmen; God's tillage, God's building ye are.
10 According to the grace of God that was given to me, as a wise master-builder, a foundation I have laid, and another doth build on it, 11 for other foundation no one is able to lay except that which is laid, which is Jesus the Christ; 12 and if any one doth build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw -- 13 of each the work shall become manifest, for the day shall declare it, because in fire it is revealed, and the work of each, what kind it is, the fire shall prove; 14 if of any one the work doth remain that he built on it, a wage he shall receive; 15 if of any the work is burned up, he shall suffer loss; and himself shall be saved, but so as through fire.
16 have ye not known that ye are a sanctuary of God, and the Spirit of God doth dwell in you? 17 if any one the sanctuary of God doth waste, him shall God waste; for the sanctuary of God is holy, the which ye are.

Please post your favorite passages as well! I'm going through his books chronologically, input and opinions are very appreciated.

1 Corinthians 12:1 And concerning the spiritual things, brethren, I do not wish you to be ignorant; 2 ye have known that ye were nations, unto the dumb idols -- as ye were led -- being carried away; 3 wherefore, I give you to understand that no one, in the Spirit of God speaking, saith Jesus is anathema, and no one is able to say Jesus is Lord, except in the Holy Spirit.4 And there are diversities of gifts, and the same Spirit; 5 and there are diversities of ministrations, and the same Lord; 6 and there are diversities of workings, and it is the same God -- who is working the all in all. 7 And to each hath been given the manifestation of the Spirit for profit; 8 for to one through the Spirit hath been given a word of wisdom, and to another a word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; 9 and to another faith in the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healings in the same Spirit; 10 and to another in-workings of mighty deeds; and to another prophecy; and to another discernings of spirits; and to another divers kinds of tongues; and to another interpretation of tongues: 11 and all these doth work the one and the same Spirit, dividing to each severally as he intendeth.
12 For, even as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of the one body, being many, are one body, so also is the Christ,
13 for also in one Spirit we all to one body were baptized, whether Jews or Greeks, whether servants or freemen, and all into one Spirit were made to drink,

[MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION]

Last edited:
I have been wanting to re-read first Corinthians, anyway. Perhaps tomorrow. :) Thank you for sharing this study, kmal.

[MENTION=2259]Kmal[/MENTION], that is pure poetry. Wish the multitudes could glory in those words. Reading them here is like a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

I hope that different ideas can be expressed in a spirit of sharing and curiosity. Please know that I respect those whose opinions are different from mine.

Note that in the paragraph above Paul references his well known work for the Priests in the Temple in Jerusalem. This means that he worked for one of the most corrupt groups of Sadducees in history, who were basically Roman plants, far more interested in kissing Roman butt and protecting their own power and Roman security than in protecting Torah or the sanctity of the Temple.

Paul was a hellenized Jew, born in Tarsus, more Roman than Jew, as he appealed to Rome rather than remain in the jurisdiction of the Sanhedrin. He was clearly uncomfortable with Jewish law, arguing when it suited him that it was lousy and lowly and its only good was pointing out to us that we are sinners, and then turning around and claiming to keep every law when being tried by the Pharisaical Sanhedrin under Gamaliel.

If you can accept all that and still love Paul, more power to ya.