Resident palindrome
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 21, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
This is a thread for all forum members who are vegan, vegetarian, and/or appreciate veg food and culture. Post recipes!!! Also feel free to post thoughts, tips and anything else vegan and vegetarian-related.

I'm going to begin with aquafaba, because there is nothing weirder than aquafaba. It is absolutely delicious, but made from some pretty gross stuff: bean water. I make aquafaba desserts regularly because my omni friends and family demand it, especially lemon meringue pies!

A basic aquafaba recipe:
-- water from one can of beans + 1/2c - 1c powdered sugar - whip with an electric mixer until it reaches high peaks.
You can add vanilla (or other extracts) and extra thickeners, such as a 1/2 teaspoon guar gum.
Garbanzos and white beans work best.

Here's a good recipe for vegan Lemon Meringue pie:
http://thegentlechef.com/blog/?p=1557

The vegan society page about aquafaba:
https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-new/blog/13-amazing-things-you-can-do-aquafaba

Great thread. Random tip: I've found that agar agar is great to thicken soup stocks and even make jello and puddings etc in place of gelatin and other animal based products.
EDF026_Xl.jpg

My favorite vegetables are barely cooked, and dressed with minimal oil and salt. Oven caramelized vegetables aren't too bad either.

More elaborate vegetable dishes end up being about the spices, vinegars, sauces, etc.

I get so much satisfaction from stepping back from elaborate cooking, and giving my attention to tasting/enjoying the vegetables themselves. A perfectly cooked asparagus spear, or artichoke are real treats for me.

(I'm not too keen on legumes out of the pod/dried/etc.).

I think you'd probably enjoy my cooking then. I prefer barely cooked, or spicy, or with sauces, as well.
Though, beans and legumes are essential to the veg diet. I'll take anything called a bean, even if it isn't one. Coffee beans, vanilla beans....

[video=youtube;-DqmWp6q_Yo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DqmWp6q_Yo[/video]

[video=youtube;CeZlih4DDNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg[/video]

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
[MENTION=6917]sprinkles[/MENTION] I love Black Metal Chef so much. The Pad Thai one is the best. :D
Cut the tofu, turn the plate, cut the tofu
Form the triangles into the symbols of the ancients on the plate
:m148:

Last edited:
Giant-Pile-of-Bacon.jpg
Ooops! Sorry my finger slipped!

Reactions: 5ufvdee369jcdd
Vegetarian and vegans, what are your favorite cookbooks?

I'm super into Bryant Terry's Afro-Vegan and Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan With A Vengeance.
I like all their books, but those are the ones I use most often, even though the Veganomicon has a better name. :D

I used to work in the industry, so I know that poly microfiber (what is used for most fake leather these days instead of pleather or vinyl) is more environmentally sound that real leather, despite being a petroleum product. That said, I am not psyched about using petroleum products, either!!!

I'm excited that more and more companies are using natural materials instead of microfibers. The high-end shoe company 'Rombaut' made waves (in a good way!!) for this a few years ago. Rombaut makes sweatshop-free shoes made of renewable, sustainable materials (a specific tree bark that grows back and doesn't kill the tree, and a natural rubber-like material). The people who make these shoes are well-paid, the materials are environmentally sound, and a durable, fashionable vegan product rejects the petroleum industry. Score!

Now, a few years later, vegan leather is being made out of pineapples!!!! YAY!
https://www.clearlyveg.com/blog/201...ade-pineapples-cruelty-free-and-biodegradable

And the company BLEED is making a cool motorcycle jacket out of cork. I will be purchasing one of these jackets in the next few months. I'm really excited about them!!
https://www.bleed-clothing.com/english/

Tofu Green Curry Pepper Soup

Not a bad little soup I had today. Serving for 1. No recipe, just winged it, but it consisted of the following items and method. Guarantee it will taste good.

• Tofu cut into teaspoon size cubes (Might of been half a 250g block)
  • Half an onion
  • Two fronds of bok choy (lettuce leaves alternative)
  • 3 carrots
  • Small handful of broccoli
  • 1 egg (unnecessary addition)
  • Vego Chicken style stock cube
  • Table spoon of whole black pepper
  • Decent half a tbl spn of Thai green curry paste
  • Half tsp chili from a jar (or fresh chilli)
  • Little bit of salt
  • Tbl spn soy sauce
  • Few drops of Tabasco sauce
  • Macadamia oil (sesame alternative, or olive oil)
  • Squeeze of lemon juice

Method:

1. Macadamia oil in pan, fry onions just before golden-brown, add green curry paste and tofu, cook and stir til paste is fragrant
2. Fill saucepan with water (medium size saucepan ~400-500ml water, can't be sure, but one's food-sense will tell one)
3. Add all other ingredients except egg, bok choy and lemon juice, have on medium-high heat until boiled, then reduce to medium-low heat
4. Meanwhile half cook/saute bok choy in separate pan, add to soup; then fry an egg on both sides, roughly cut using spatula into smallish pieces, add to soup
5. When carrots are ready, the soup is ready to eat. Squeeze some lemon juice in.

Capsaicin and garlic - two things I didn't have and thus not put in. But the soup tasted great without them. It wasn't hot-hot, but it was hot.

Last edited:
My favorite vegetables are barely cooked, and dressed with minimal oil and salt. Oven caramelized vegetables aren't too bad either.

More elaborate vegetable dishes end up being about the spices, vinegars, sauces, etc.

I get so much satisfaction from stepping back from elaborate cooking, and giving my attention to tasting/enjoying the vegetables themselves. A perfectly cooked asparagus spear, or artichoke are real treats for me.

(I'm not too keen on legumes out of the pod/dried/etc.).

I consider overcooked vegetables to be a travesty. Broccoli, for instance, I consider ideal when it's just started to turn a brighter green, and still crisp (with just the lightest bit of salt, and perhaps pepper). Sometimes I wonder if those who have an aversion to veggies, merely do so because they've never had properly cooked veggies. The flavor, texture, and nutritional content of canned vs. fresh vegetables, are worlds apart, IMO.

In regards to the topic, I was vegetarian, then vegan for years, although I've strayed from the path now, lol. I still love the cuisine regardless, however. If you're in a pinch and low on money, lentils are an excellent, highly inexpensive option - plus they're low in fat, and high in both protein and fiber. Make a nice, big pot of lentil soup, and it can last you throughout the week.

[MENTION=14092]Asa[/MENTION]

I've had Began With a Vengeance for years! It's one of my favorites. :) This one is just a vegetarian cookbook, but I adore it too: The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, by Mollie Katzen.

I consider overcooked vegetables to be a travesty. Broccoli, for instance, I consider ideal when it's just started to turn a brighter green, and still crisp (with just the lightest bit of salt, and perhaps pepper). Sometimes I wonder if those who have an aversion to veggies, merely do so because they've never had properly cooked veggies. The flavor, texture, and nutritional content of canned vs. fresh vegetables, are worlds apart, IMO.

In regards to the topic, I was vegetarian, then vegan for years, although I've strayed from the path now, lol. I still love the cuisine regardless, however. If you're in a pinch and low on money, lentils are an excellent, highly inexpensive option - plus they're low in fat, and high in both protein and fiber. Make a nice, big pot of lentil soup, and it can last you throughout the week.

[MENTION=14092]Asa[/MENTION]

I've had Began With a Vengeance for years! It's one of my favorites. :) This one is just a vegetarian cookbook, but I adore it too: The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, by Mollie Katzen.

Carrots roasted with a beef joint in the oven and mixed with the juices.

THE BEST.

Lovely vegetable eaters, This recipe is SLAMMIN.

General Tso’s Tofu

Ingredients

FOR SERVING optional

3-4 cups (474-632 g) cooked white or brown rice
Steamed broccoli
TOFU

12 ounces extra firm tofu
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce (tamari for gluten free eaters)
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
4-5 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp neutral oil (such as grapeseed)
SAUCE

2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp cornstarch
2 large cloves garlic, minced (~1 heaping Tbsp)
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 Tbsp rice vinegar (or sub white vinegar)
1/4 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup, plus more to taste (I used 2 Tbsp coconut sugar, 2 Tbsp maple syrup)
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
1 Tbsp water
STIR FRY

1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 bundle green onions, bulbs removed, roughly chopped
4-7 dried red chilies (optional for heat, or sub 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce | more or less to taste)
optional: Sesame seeds, for garnish
Instructions

If serving with rice and broccoli, begin preparing at this time. Otherwise, move onto the next step.
Wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and set something heavy on top to wick away moisture, such as a cast iron skillet. Let rest for about 10 minutes.
Prep/chop green onions, garlic, and ginger at this time. Set aside.
While tofu is pressing, prepare sauce by combining sesame oil, cornstarch, minced garlic, minced ginger, rice vinegar, coconut sugar or maple syrup, tamari or soy sauce, and water in a small mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine. If using coconut sugar, make sure it’s dissolved before proceeding. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Heat a large 10” skillet over medium heat. In the meantime, unwrap tofu and cut into even pieces, about 3/4-inch cubes.
Add tofu to a shallow mixing bowl and top with tamari or soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil, and maple syrup. Toss to combine. Let rest 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Use a slotted spoon or fork to transfer tofu to a quart-size or large freezer bag. Add cornstarch 1 Tbsp at a time and toss to coat. Continue adding more cornstarch and tossing until tofu is coated in a gummy, white layer — (I used 4 Tbsp).
To the hot skillet, add 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil and let warm for 30 seconds. Then use a slotted spoon or fork to add tofu to the pan (leaving any excess cornstarch behind).
Cook on all sides for 1 minute, or until light golden brown. You don’t want it blackened or burned, as you’ll be cooking it again later with the sauce. Aim for a consistent golden brown crust. Remove tofu from pan as it’s finished browning. Set aside.
Return skillet to burner and increase heat to medium-high. Add 1 Tbsp sesame oil, chopped green onions, and dried red chilies. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the sauce and tofu. Cook, stirring frequently, to coat the tofu and vegetables for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through and the sauce has slightly thickened.
Remove pan from heat and add sesame seeds (optional). Toss to coat.
Serve with rice and steamed broccoli (optional), or other desired sides.

It's from the Tasty Page, which is an omni site, but her vegetarian recipes are delicious.
http://www.thetastypage.com/general-tsos-tofu/

@Night Owl - thank you for sharing! That looks delicious! (Can't wait to try it!)
[MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION] The Enchanted Broccoli Forest is from Moosewood, right? Such a great place! :D I don't have that book, but I should totally get it.

I think my favorite veg has to be raw spinach. It's very healthy and it tastes almost like nothing so it goes with everything.

As for a favorite veg (but not vegan) meal, mine would be egg fried rice, with peppers (both bell and chili), red onion and fava beans. Simple, tasty and nutritious.