The Road | INFJ Forum

The Road

Discussion in 'Art, Entertainment, and Media' started by ZenCat, Dec 15, 2008.

Share This Page

More threads by ZenCat
  1. ZenCat

ZenCat Waving Sage

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    I just saw that Cormac McCarthy's incredible, acclaimed novel The Road is being made into a film starring Viggo Mortensen. I couldn't be more thrilled with this casting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

For anyone who hasn't read McCarthy (I'm a huge fan going way back), he's got a very distinctive style, compared most closely to Faulkner.

I think The Road is one of his most brilliant works. I'm not alone, it won the Pulitzer Prize.

A brief synopsis from IMDB:

His writing is universally grim, almost beyond endurance. I hated some of his books but had to marvel at them, while others remain so beloved to me that I proudly display them on their own shelf in my library, and named my first labrador retriever after the main character in All The Pretty Horses, which is one of my 5 favorite books ever. Despite the terrifying bleakness and depiction of terrible remorseless evil which is a cornerstone of his work he manages, at times, to be absolutely soul-wrenchingly touching as well.

McCarthy is not for the faint of heart and though I didn't see the film No Country For Old Men, from reading the reviews, I got the impression that those who hadn't read McCarthy didn't really "get" the film.

Would love to discuss any and all of McCarthy's work - including The Road - and the upcoming film!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 ZenCat, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008