The Psychology of Batman | INFJ Forum

The Psychology of Batman

gokartride

Community Member
Jul 10, 2008
I saw a documentary on this the other night and given our interest in the inner life, I thought I'd post something here. Comparisons were made between the various (and somewhat exagerated) criminals of the Batman franchise and well-known real-life criminal types....as well as contrasting these to the Dark Knight himself.

It was interesting especially in light of the new film coming out featuring the Joker. Apparently in his world view life is so meaningless so as to be a total joke. Social order is a joke, his existence is a joke, your existence is a joke....and therefore Batman's existence is a complete joke. Everybody could be "had"...corrupted....even Batman and he is out to prove it.

I think the archetypal psychological underpinnings of the Batman franchise (even if somewhat extreme) are what continues to fascinate audiences.

gokartride said:
I saw a documentary on this the other night and given our interest in the inner life, I thought I'd post something here. Comparisons were made between the various (and somewhat exagerated) criminals of the Batman franchise and well-known real-life criminal types....as well as contrasting these to the Dark Knight himself.

It was interesting especially in light of the new film coming out featuring the Joker. Apparently in his world view life is so meaningless so as to be a total joke. Social order is a joke, his existence is a joke, your existence is a joke....and therefore Batman's existence is a complete joke. Everybody could be "had"...corrupted....even Batman and he is out to prove it.

I think the archetypal psychological underpinnings of the Batman franchise (even if somewhat extreme) are what continues to fascinate audiences.
What was the name of the documentary? Did it take into account the INTJ nature of Batman, or the ENTP nature of the joker who had just fallen into a vat of acid, and had his wife and unborn son murdered in front of him? I'd be interested to read an account of Riddler, Two-Face, and Scarecrows psychological make up. I'd also not mind knowing what makes Pamela Isley connect more with plants than with humans...