[INFJ] - The Perks of Being a Wallflower | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Stillwater

Nov 1, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
As an INFJ how did reading this book or watching the movie resonate with you?

it hasn't resonated with me. all i thought of it was about child abuse/molestation. i felt bad about it.

I didn't catch that at first. I realized it after someone told me about it.

The scene at the end kind of resonated with me. It's when he wakes up in Mayview Hospital and talks with the doctor/counselor. I'm wondering if other INFJs understand what he's saying there. I'm still trying to figure it out. Is he talking about how hard it is being an empath, feeling other's pain?

Below is a link to the scene on youtube that starts at 1:22. I copied the dialogue from a script I found on the web and pasted it below also.

CHARLIE: Where am I?

DR. BURTON:
Mayview Hospital.

CHARLIE:
You have to let me go. My dad can't afford it.

DR. BURTON
: Don't worry about that.

CHARLIE:
No. I saw them when I was little. And I don't want to be a Mayview kid. Just tell me how to stop it.

DR. BURTON
: Stop what?

CHARLIE:
Seeing it. All their lives. All the time. Just... how do you stop seeing it?

DR. BURTON:
Seeing what, Charlie?

Charlie breaks/pauses.

CHARLIE
: There is so much pain. And I don't know how to not notice it.

DR. BURTON
: What's hurting you?

CHARLIE
: No! Not me. It's them. It's everyone. It never stops. Do you understand?

Reactions: Bellosome
I read the book in high school a looooong time ago and really loved it. I enjoyed the style and simplicity as well as the interplay of relationships.

The movie was pretty good, but it didn't capture the coolness of the book quite as well. It did stay true to a lot of the themes which I appreciated, but it also lacked a little bit of the intensity, angsty/rage and realness found in the book.

Reactions: Bellosome